Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Save the game? PVP?

Discussion in 'Release 33 Feedback Forum' started by Gatsu., Sep 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

Are you sure? What is the benefit compared with flagged for PvP? Would not a PvP server just separate the players and reduce the population of Novia?

Time Lord and Kabalyero like this.
  2. Gix

Gix Avatar

Those aren't PvPers.

That's #2 with a different name.

It's certainly not easy nor efficient, but there is a difference. Our current system hides certain PvPers behind the protection of the Oracle and allows them to only strike when they feel they have the advantage over those who are already flagged for PvP. Even if the flagged player is aware that the one under the protection is going to strike, the flagged player can't preemptively strike back.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    Time Lord likes this.
  3. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Hi , yes Im sure, PvP Multiplayers Only

First, for people like me, who play the game for the SOTA online universe, we can see how Friend/Solo Online mode are harmful.
    Everyone is online but are all in our little world , alone or with few friends. Hidden for macroing, cheating and have his own Deep Ravenswood and Crag Foothills etc ... Clearly, these two modes are very interesting for some players, but very negative for other players.

Second broth, I just do not feel the PvP thrills with flagged for PvP. It is easy to see that PvPers are not attracted to join the game. Flag is perfect for a PvE server, no more. Some PvPers dont like to see players immunized with a unflag PvP. From my point of view, and believe me, more sharing it, this is very stupid. See people in an MMO where you can not interact with them.

So friend, Im sure PvPers will come back on this game with a PvP Server.

These guys have anyway created Ultime Online, a mythical reference for all PvPers !

Think about it.

PS I: For the story line and solo mode , it is another thing , I know it is very important for a lot of players but there are other thread for it, but personally, I really do not care.

PS II: And yes I know, this game is in development but still need a PvP Multiplayers ONLY server.

PS III: I LOVE THIS GAME, SotA got a HUGE POTENTIEL !!!!!!!!!! but need PvP Server :D

-Abydos

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  4. Gamician

Gamician Avatar

NO, No, No, No No. How else can I put it? Oh yeah NO!!!!!

Kabalyero, Sir Cabirus and Time Lord like this.
  5. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

Thanks for taking the time to answer me. I understand your arguments better now, even though PvP isn't my cup of tea. The most important point is that you cannot take revenge because the concerned player(s) discard the PvP flag. Anyway - I believe a distinct PvP server isn't helpful. AFAIR the PvP server in UO wasn't much populated. It seems most players pursue other aims.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

One word!

Yes!!!!

I no longer play, but would love to. All those against this I hope you enjoy your $1k plus single player game. SOTA multiplayer is a joke. This game really needs saving, with something other than backers wallets. Those of you that keep pledging must be blind. I've went back to some older mmos and testing some new and am having wAy better experience. If you can believe it I actually run into large groups of players...I know unbelievable right? Add pvp or pvp server make everyone online. Get rid of friends only. For those that don't want online play single player. Seperated single and multi player chat/assets. I.e. Nothing carries over between the two.

7. kl4nk

kl4nk Avatar

I am one of the few pvper ingame. Been flagged since day 2 after final wipe. I dont attend tourney cuz i usually work during them. I dont think full loot would work here with the type of gears we have. It take so much ressource to have just one decent +7 pine longbow. I musta went trough 80 suet to get the one i have now. Gear is so important in this game, not like in uo where most ppl had basic stuff. The loot system we have now is great. The problem with pvp is numbers that partake. Im not talking tourney and dual. Im talking flagg 24/7

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

What if the one who starts the fight - and is successful and kill an other player - cannot hide behind the protection of the Oracle for several days? This is my suggestion for the devs. @DarkStarr : what do you think?

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

That's exactly the same proposal your already posted in General a few weeks ago.
    And still no to Ultima pvp. I am a Ultima pvp player and I tell you it won't work.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Isn't that what Coral Cove is?

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Sad but True :(

12. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

So is the single player right now :(

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    Gix, Sir Cabirus and Time Lord like this.
  13. gracy

gracy Avatar

to be successfull is not a matter of changing this game into a PvP, just fill it with contents, now is just grinding.
    PvP should be confined to people who agree, other that don't like PvP why should participate?
    I also played UO, from the beginning, it was a nice but, in particular at the beginning, it had also many unpleasant episodes, that forced devs in the times to change the all PvP initial structure to the area PvP where people agreed to the PvP philosophy ...
    I personally don't want to repeat the same errors of the past in a game, where there is many people that would like only play the game some times, after work, other that play the game as a work, and other that would like only to play the game occasionally ... everyone should have fun!

Sir Cabirus and Time Lord like this.
  14. Tibs

Tibs Avatar

A step along the way is not the mountain summit. May as well enjoy the scenery once you've finished cursing the climb.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Gix

Gix Avatar

It's not so much that the (abusive?) player discards the PvP flag (although that's certainly an issue), it's that the "victim" can't identify the threat easily and, even if he/she does, they can't take action except running away (which counters the whole concept of PvP).

For example, in World of Warcraft (among other MMOs), there are two things that happen:
    1. In Open World PvP, ALL your enemies are clearly labeled with a red flag. Meaning you KNOW who your threats (and allies) are, so you're not in constant paranoia.
    2. If you manage to spot a stealth player in the distance (like, you both spot each other and he enters stealth), you can place a good AoE at the right time to get that player out of stealth... he was the attacker, but you managed to turn it around.
    In SotA:
    1. Everyone is a potential enemy, including those who are supposedly PvErs... you know, the ones under the Oracle's protection.
    2. The assailant doesn't even need stealth; He could be running around, chasing you with a broadsword and you can't strike first to get advantage... you either run away from combat or take the initial damage.
    The different game modes isn't what's "ruining" the game or PvP. You could force everyone to play online multi-player and the game would still be lacking and the PvP would still just be a function.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

What is original here?
    If we are going to recreate WoW then we just need to buy WoW. Not to knock you on the need for an interesting PvP, but we do need a different PvP and break out of the WoW mold.
    Uniqueness is a hard thing to capture.
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

17. Gix

Gix Avatar

@Time Lord I'm telling you what works and why things don't work in SotA... where the rule-set comes from is irrelevant and I'd argue that change for the sake of being different is detrimental. Don't necessarily copy what the others are doing but, for the love of god, learn from it.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Tibs

Tibs Avatar

Unless combatants wear different uniforms, you should only be able to tell who is on your side by where they are and/or what they are doing, unless you happen to know their name/guild affiliation. This is the state of everyone. It is an even playing field, and it seems right.

Flagging combatants friend or foe does not seem logical, given the environmental context, at least until there are wars between player organizations, wars large enough that visual battlefield identification of a commander's various sub-units need careful deployment. When tactical organization has greater value than simply letting everyone fight as individuals like berserkers, then colorful uniforms and banners will gain value.

IMO:YMMV

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Flagging by attacking/healing needs to change. Either add a "casting time" so you can tell a player is entering PvP and can set a counter for it, or require them to go renounce their protection at the Oracle before ANY PvP is allowed. I'd prefer forcing them to set their PvP flag, and also push them to open multiplayer mode while they are flagged.

"Blue healing" can be fixed by recording what healing is performed by a non-PvP flagged player, and removing it if the player is hit by PvP damage within a certain amount of time.

With those changes, there is no flagging "on-the-fly", no surprise "blue attackers", and no interference from "blue healers". PvP works because all PvPers are marked as such.

As far as showing allies and enemies, hopefully this will come with factions. RG said he was looking at that, so perhaps they are not far away.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"worked"... not "work"... They worked for them, but they don't necessarily work for us "if we are a different game".

What will work in SOTA that is different than WoW? What's outside of that box?

What we are failing at, is to graduate our players into a PvP environment. To me, this is best accomplished through the coming "cabalist raids" which will be triggered by the planets. I've heard the "Battle Royal" pitch, but that's another copy of a copy and only a place holder for what we could be achieving while saving our 10M$ for what we actually need to break out into our own unique game.

There's problems with early access games because they become bogged down with appeasing their players with content not ready to be released yet. The player demands what they find fun about other games, but the failings in this "are that they want it now". Sure we could copy other games, yet this does not expand our player base and leaves us with attempting to appease those that came to "back the game being developed", the key word in that quest, "being developed". By taking some system that already has been developed, we only harm our chances at taking away some of the users from other games. We can't have WoW being considered as "lame" without having made it lame by offering a unique and a far different fun game play experience.

I've been using these videos lately because they help better our ideas and better our understanding of what our game is up against. I took time to do the entire crash course so I could better my own ideas, or better recognize those ideas of others that are truly unique and could offer a much more unique game play through deepening the strategy PvP and other experiences that could become our game.

Anyway... I hope any of that helps someone understand that we are in a battle for uniqueness, or we are only appeasing players that we already have, who would be more happy playing other games that are finished and not under constructional design.
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Sir Cabirus, Kabalyero and Tibs like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.