runing into MOBs and slowing down?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Snowdog, Sep 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

You can remove this annoyance yourself! Don't run into MOBs or NPCs. Go around like in real life.

2. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Perhaps not... but someone would... for no other reason than they could... or because they wish to deny services provided by some NPCs to others. All of this happened in UO.
    And people would most certainly complain vociferously about that when trying to pass an NPC in a restricted space like a doorway, or stairs.

Should a pack of wolves or clutter of spiders make it impossible for you to get out of their circle?

3. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I wish we bounced off everything, like we were all inside bumper cars. I think parties and cities would be a lot more fun!

lollie likes this.
  4. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

It would be more realistic if npc's and pc's just stopped you altogether... And if they were blocking a doorway or something, just make it use up some focus to push through them like in olde UO ;)

lollie likes this.
  5. lollie

lollie Avatar

No, a pack of mobs needs to be able to be passed for the sake of fair and fun gameplay.

As for people complaining about not being able to pass through an NPC, it would be better than getting stuck to them for 10 paces and dealing with huge circles of aoe slows when just passing by one single NPC.

Anyway, if an NPC blocked a doorway under the not passing through them system rather than aoe slow system, give us a shove mechanism so they move aside (then let them complain, like I care).

De la Cueva likes this.
  6. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Yes, it would. It would also be exploited... especially if PCs blocked your way... It would Immediately become a griefing tool.

Gadfrey Zukes likes this.
  7. lollie

lollie Avatar

No just give us a shove mechanism, or a dodge roll mechanism that lets us pass through, so there can be no griefing.

mikeaw1101 likes this.
  8. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

So you would have the Dev team devote what would likely be a not insubstantial amount of your and my money to engineer two different collision systems for NPCs?
    Not something I would support... And I would rather be slowed for a couple of seconds should I pass disrespectfully close than to be blocked completely should one of them be happen to be in my way.

9. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

This would still be a grief mechanism... Why do you suppose PCs don't collide now?

10. lollie

lollie Avatar

They often pass disrespectfully close to me by changing their trajectory at last minute, especially while in a city area full of row houses with all the memory leak screen freezes going on...yet get to whine and ***** at me for getting in their way at same time as aoe slowing me.

Much rather give me ability to shove the idiots out of my way then let them complain as I run off giggling.

And yes I want resources devoted to fixing this aoe slow rubbish.

11. lollie

lollie Avatar

I am not asking for PC collision, I am only talking about NPC collision/aoe slowdowns.

Direct all posts about PC collision to someone else, someone actually talking about it (ie not me).

12. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

You responded to my statement that included PCs blocking you way. Forgive my mistake... I'd thought at that point you were talking about PCs.

13. lollie

lollie Avatar

I was just talking about NPCs blocking doorways and having a shove mechanism (or upon further contemplation a dodge roll, which would be more polite).

No worries about the confusion :)

14. Duffy

Duffy Avatar

Nobody here asked to be able to run through NPC and people who bring this up repeatedly are trying to misrepresent what was said just to make it easier to attack.
    Putting an out of combat snare on someone just because he or she entered the huge comfort zone of a NPC is annoying.

If it's true that they made the collision boxes so huge just because the NPC would got stuck in walls otherwise, than this is actually something I can accept. Still not the slow though - if they can't make it so that NPCs have better collision detection because of technical difficulties, then get rid of the slow, by all means.

And I am waiting still for the explanation how having a NPC put a control effect on me just because I am next to him helps immersion. I mean, does it enjoy me being next to it so much that it wants to preserve that state as long as possible, thus hindering my movement away from it? That is immersion how? Would it hurt your immersion if the NPC would NOT behave as creep?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    mikeaw1101 and lollie like this.
  15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Then they should remove collision between NPCs and players as the only thing it adds to the game is frustration.

lollie likes this.
  16. Church

Church Avatar

[​IMG]
    all ideas are not always good

17. Blackghost

Blackghost Avatar

This is exactly what I do!!
    I do not run into them I go around and I'm still snared.

Do we have any answers from the devs?

18. Vidgrip

Vidgrip Avatar

This.

mikeaw1101 likes this.
  19. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

I'm confused as to why you would quote only half of my reply; it was only one sentence.... The other half being "make it cost focus to push through them like in old uo"... No offense, but I'm not seeing how that would require a 'substantial' amount of money to implement. As it is now, slowing down when you get close to (and not just from walking through) an npc is kind of irritating, especially in towns.

20. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

I'm going to have to agree with OP on this.

I would like to propose the following changes be made:

1) Bumping into another mobile will cause a focus drain of 50 points of focus, movement rate will not be affected.
    2) Bludgeon weapons naturally will have a 20% chance to cause a focus drain of 20 points per strike.
    3) When an avatar only has 0-1 points of focus, they are not able to move until they regenerate at least 2 points of focus.
    4) A sprinting player will stop sprinting when they reach 10% of their maximum focus.
    5) Polearm weapons naturally will have a 20% chance to temporarily stun (4 seconds) per strike.
    6) Swords will have a 20% chance to cause an extra 10 points of damage, per strike.

I've heard some complaints about 2 handed weapons being better overall than dual wielding, even when trained in it, and so this system I believe will bring a bit more balance, in the sense that while dual wielding, you will have more chances to apply these suggested bonuses.

Also your ability to monitor and maintain your focus level will become more important, making the game a tad more challenging, while adding diversity to gameplay.

This is the balance of gameplay in the renaissance era of UO, which is part of the reason why UO is still thriving, so it's tried tested and true gameplay mechanics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.