Cannot get into Game

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software, Tech' started by Tychicus, Sep 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tychicus

Tychicus Avatar

Since Release 26, I cannot play SotA. I can log into the game but after I log in I then get an error message saying that SotA has stopped running and it kicks me out of the game. Please help with this situation for it has been several months now that I cannot play. I have 2 accounts: kentw (Tychicus) & k Michael (Silas) .
    My Laptop Info: Lenovo PC laptop G50-45
    Processor -- AMD A8-6410 APU with AMD RADEON R5 GRAPHICS.
    6GB RAM Windows 8
    The error says: "Shroud of the Avatar.exe has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."
    I have played SotA on this Lenovo laptop fine until Release 26, that is when I started getting the error message.
    I have sent several threads on my situation in the past and my problem is still unresolved. I even sent an email to Portalarium of which they told me to contact you. Someone PLEASE let me know what is going on for I have spent a lot of money on this game and I would llike to play the game ! Thx

Time Lord likes this.
  2. lollie

lollie Avatar

Have you tried the old uninstall and reinstall? Also check everything is up to date, check graphics drivers and runtimes etc. Even try a virus scan...basically just try the usual emergency housekeeping.

3. smack

smack Avatar

In addition to the above, after you uninstall, make sure to delete all the files and registry keys, and then re-install fresh. There was a previous bug where the registry was severely bloated with junk.

Perhaps lower the resolution, reduce the quality settings to Fastest, turn off all graphic options, and try playing in Single Player Online (SPO) mode. Heck, try Offline mode to see if the game even launches in that mode.

Also, not that it helps, but they have since increased the minimum requirements to require 8GB of memory.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=19#faq_031

So perhaps try shutting down anything and everything else that's running on the system...

Time Lord and Alley Oop like this.
  4. Tychicus

Tychicus Avatar

I upgraded my laptop to 16GB RAM, I totally uninstalled and reinstalled the game (twice), I tried to play in "Friends" and "Single mode" to no prevail but I can play in "Offline" mode. So I am NOT sure what to do next. I did not have any trouble playing SotA until Release 26 so whatever happened in that release is causing me NOT to play the game. PLEASE HELP !

Time Lord and smack like this.
  5. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

Edit: This may not help you now that I reread the problem since it's not an issue with the game launcher you're having, but rather an issue while in the game. Might still be worth a try if you don't mind permanently linking your SOTA account to a Steam account.

Are you running the game through Port's launcher or through Steam? I had a similar issue where the game would start updating and then crash mid update and reset all of the update progress every time I tried to launch the game. The way I got back into the game was to link my Steam account to the game and then launch SOTA from Steam. Since then I haven't had any issues. So consider trying to launch the game through Steam instead of through Port's launcher if you aren't already. It's free to connect your account. You do it on your account page on the main SOTA website. The same site where you access the add-on store.

You'll have to install the game again through Steam. You will also have to fix all your in game settings again including hotkeys since Steam records it's own config file for the game.

Edit: To connect your Steam account to SOTA go to https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com and then sign in (you should be signed in already). Then click on "Account" in the top right of the screen. On that page, click the last tab called "Game Client/Steam." That's where you start the account linking process.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    Time Lord, smack and Tahru like this.
  6. smack

smack Avatar

Are you getting the same error message as before ("Shroud of the Avatar.exe has stopped working...")? Or are you now getting a different error message?

A few more suggestions:
    - When you uninstalled, did you delete all the files and registry keys too?
    - Have you tried Starting on Overworld rather than whatever scene you were last in? Which scene is it?
    - If you have any security software, try disabling it temporarily.
    - Perhaps also try updating your motherboard chipset / network card drivers, so might want to check those...
    - Are you playing the game using an Admin account? Right-click on the SotA shortcut and choose to run as Admin...

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Please consider contacting support if no solutions work here. You probably aren't the only one with this problem.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Tychicus

Tychicus Avatar

Thanks for the suggestion but I opened up an account with STEAM like you suggested and I tried to run the game through it but I still got the same error message as when I tried to play it thru PORT. I have contacted Portalarium support twice in the last 7 months and they told me to contact SotA support. I have contacted SotA support a few times since Release 26 but to no avail. I have totally uninstalled it and reinstalled it several times.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

just shooting off an idea... try playing the game with your anti-virus and firewall off... but don't forget to turn them back on after testing...

Time Lord likes this.
  10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hmm well this is sad. I am so sorry. We need to shout out to get you some help asap. This has gone on for 7 months. So shouting out @DarkStarr @Berek @Chris. Can we try to help this guy Please, please, please. :)

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Peabo

Peabo Avatar

can you try running the game as "run as administrator"?

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Tychicus

Tychicus Avatar

Yes, Kabalyero, I have tried shutting off my anti-virus and firewall, although it was a couple months ago and that did not work either. Thanks for the suggestion though...
    Thank you majoria70 for reaching out to @DarkStarr @Berek @Chris on my behalf ! Hopefully they will help me get this figured out !

Time Lord and Kabalyero like this.
  13. Tychicus

Tychicus Avatar

Also "Yes", Peabo, I have tried to run it "run as administrator" and I still get the same error message. What ever they did in the Release 26 is the cause of my dilemma. I am thinking maybe it is the AMD processor that I my laptop has, but not for sure...

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

They are moving to the next version of the game engine in R34 which is supposed to have better AMD support. Maybe that will work for you.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Tychicus

Tychicus Avatar

I hope you are correct on that Tahru ! Guess I will find out in a couple weeks then ! Thanks for the info !!

Time Lord and Tahru like this.
  16. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

@Tychicus your problem is Processor -- AMD A8-6410 APU with AMD RADEON R5 GRAPHICS.

there is a known problem with unity 5.4 which isn't compatible with AMD A series.

I'll link you the information in an edit shortly which WILL get you past the login crash.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    Time Lord likes this.
  17. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

EDIT*

http://patchserver.shroudoftheavatar.com/sotalive/SotA32BitR35.zip

Simply download these two files. Then, go to your shroud of the avatar folder and find the two files with the same name. If you are using Steam to play, you can find them in the following locations:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SotA

(shroudoftheavatar.exe)

And,

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SotA\Shroud of the Avatar_Data\Mono

(mono.dll)

BACK THESE TWO FILES UP, BY PLACING THEM IN A NEW FOLDER TITLED ''Shroud 64 Bit backup files''

Then replace them with the 32 bit files you downloaded from the above link.

THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW ONCE THIS IS DONE:

You are now able to play the game. HOWEVER, you will need to check this link EVERY TIME YOU LAUNCH THE GAME:

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=32989

The reason you need to check if there is a NEW patch every time you launch IS BECAUSE IF YOU DON'T REPLACE THE 64 BIT FILES BEFORE LAUNCHING, THE GAME WILL PATCH WITH THE 32 BIT FILES AND YOU WILL NEED TO REINSTALL THE ENTIRE GAME IF THIS HAPPENS OR IT WILL NOT RUN

Special Note*** IF you are using steam, you NEED to change the update settings for Shroud of the Avatar specifically to NOT update until you LAUNCH the game, or it will automatically update when you launch steam or if steam is running while the game is closed, and you will not be able to switch out the 32 bit files for the 64 bit files before it patches!!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
    Time Lord, The Hendoman and Acred like this.
  18. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

BIG props to @BurningToad for this fix, by the way!!

@Berek I posted a new thread for this issue to be stickied, but posted it in general D main by accident I think :D

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    Time Lord, Acred and Berek like this.
  19. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Unity 5.5 is in Beta now, and it might fix this problem. I made a post on their forum yesterday, asking for updates on weather or not Unity 5.5 will fix this issue.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/any-testing-done-with-amd-a-series-yet-on-5-5.431541/

I believe it will, but that's based only on the fact that Unity brought in two AMD A machines to do testing before 5.5 beta was released, so now that they have those they should be able to further analyze this issue.

Time Lord and Acred like this.
  20. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Crossing my fingers that @Tychicus returns to the forums and sees this information!

To anyone substituting the 32 bit files for the 64 bit files in order to get past the AMD-A/Unity5.4 issue, it is recommended that you set video settings to ''Fastest''

Time Lord and Acred like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.