Is crafting working ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brass Knuckles, Sep 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

It "costs" less than half of that if your time is free...

2. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

And how many pieces of suet is that @ 500gp per on the open market?

3. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

Yes and I think I bought 2 pieces from you weeks ago (pants are +10 I got from Baratheon in owls head )

Passed on the +2 boots for 15k.

Checked your vendor 2 days ago to see if you had put better stock on it.

If it was just the masterwork crafting I probably would have just done it. By now but to make an exemplary piece you also need enchanting. That's two skills I would rather not spend time on.

4EverLost and Fister Magee like this.
  4. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Im sitting on 300 silver, I'll work up some more +4/+5 and get them up there. I'll probably lower the price a bit on the easier items to make.

4EverLost likes this.
  5. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

No, it still costs the same if we're looking at selling value since that price is the equivalent of the current going rate for the materials used to make it. Sure, I could gather the materials myself and then make the armor to sell and put it at a lower rate than others who bought their materials to make the armor, but why would I do that when I could just sell the materials at full rate instead?

Let's say I spend 8k gold for the materials to make that chest piece and you instead go out and farm for hours to get those materials for free. Now, I craft my item and price it at 10k to make a little bit of profit from it. Not many players would ever consider paying that for a base item. You instead price it at half that price since it cost you nothing to go gather those materials besides your time. But why would you ever do that when you could just sell the raw materials for 8k?

Which comes back to my point that final products are worth less currently than the raw materials used to make them. So you either end up pricing your weapons or armor low and actually lose money to get buyers, or you price at what their actual value is and get very few, if any, buyers. Or you say screw crafting final products altogether, quit crafting anything except for gear for yourself, and just sell raw materials.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    Docs_Mistake and Govenor Ruin like this.
  6. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

You're still aiming low (yes I know destroy percentages) and might look into meteoric as well there is a firm held belief in discord that it's superior for at least pure chain mages. I'm still not convinced which is why I suspect I'll end up with +10 (combination of mw and enchant) bronze AND meteoric sets if I ever find someone to make or sell them.

4EverLost, Spoon and Fister Magee like this.
  7. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Silver, suet, gold sell like hot cakes its hard to justify making them in to items and sell them at a discount lol.

And honestly its very simply to pull off a +4. Thats 1 mw @40 main skill and 1 enchant @72 alchemy with a small chance of breaking add 1 gem and ur at +5

Its the +6 stuff that gets more serious.

Fister Magee and Alexander like this.
  8. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Suet is hovering at around 200 gp these days, but it's a lot cheaper if your time has zero cost.
    Loss profit isn't part of cost of goods sold in any accounting system I am aware of. You can mark up a product to cover lost sales but that doesn't add to cost. The formula for COGS is direct materials plus direct labor. In that sense, the cost of a Fortified Leather Chest Armor is equal to the cost of 173 curing salts, 10 chucks of coal, 4 wax and ~1.1 tanning knife, divided by 0.95 for the scrap factor plus 0 for labor, if your labor is free, which is the position of many currently playing.

cartodude and 4EverLost like this.
  9. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Shhh dont tell who ever keeps buying off my vendor that :)..i did sell 2 throne of bones for 2k each.

Im sure vendor location matters out in the sticks you can find better deals and less traffic.

To stick to the main topic though, with resouce prices so high how do you expect to be paid for the time sink of gathering and crafting?

10. AceBenSuited

AceBenSuited Avatar

Too many crafters, not enough customers. Everyone can craft and it is just costing time to make their items. I feel we should have just one pool of XP instead of two tabs so you can only put your skills in one direction or another. Find it too easy to be a master swordsman/mage/archer/carpenter/blacksmith. If I can be all those, why would I need to talk to your vendor?

Docs_Mistake and Vidgrip like this.
  11. mass

mass Avatar

Another RNG aspect that affects the value of a craft is the randomness of the bonuses. Like, I couldn't sell a +4 dagger for 500g on the public vendor in ardoris over the week probably because it had +4 focus. Not all +N's are equivalent and it depends on how lucky you are to get all the best random bonuses to come up (much less not destroying the thing).

Snazz likes this.
  12. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

As I said, there are a decent number of folks that, for better or worse, will spend a dozen hours a day grinding out components, if only to increase their skills. For a crafter that places a value on their time, those folks will always be able to out produce and out price them. The solution is to introduce new and better sinks for weapon and armor, like requiring that POT rulers outfit their guards, so that overall demand is closer to overall supply, but with the choice to make grinding mandatory to raise skills I don't even know if that will work.

PrimeRib likes this.
  13. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Yeah, that's the larger mechanic missing from the game. If cities went to war you'd create a market like Civilization where you're always needing more stuff to grow / build / fight. But for single players, there's really no carrot. And people will resist durability loss, PvP, etc. as long as they feel like sticks.

14. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Here is another imballance with the system as I see it.

Take a top tier crafter say 100 in all required skills.

He makes a low level item say +4 or +5 and then he makes a uber item say +10 exceptionaly made item.

The diffrence in mats is most likley only 5 silver and gold ignots, unless he is very unlucky and breaks an item but at that skill level is unlikley. The problem with this is there is no real mid level for gear, +5 and less is low level craftables +6 is the higher end if ur low skill and pushing 6+ ull break stuff if your high skill ull be whipping out +8 with almost the same effort as the +4 stuff.

4EverLost likes this.
  15. Gix

Gix Avatar

I don't craft. I don't buy from player vendors.

I buy from public vendors frequently enough but you guys need to make gear that is distinguishable from the rest. The stats are practically all the same... the fact that the stats with their +0.10% to whatcha-ma-gig are crypting as hell, doesn't really inspire confidence in the purchase.

It is the state of the game? Is it the choices you guys make when crafting? I don't know.

You and I have different views on what is considered "low level".

16. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

I wasn't including labor in that rate. Also, I was talking about Fortified Supple Leather Chest armor. Not just a regular Fortified Leather Chest armor. The extra leather required and suets increase the price quite a bit.

17. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Ur kidding right?

As it stands now u can rob all the npc blacksmiths and salvage for 40 skill in bs. You can prob hit 40 bs in a cpl hours of effort. Alchemy might take a bit more effort and time but under a week of semi casual game play you can spit out +4 stuff consistantly with very few breaks.

Use an expert station and prosperity tools and that will shorten ur time line.

If u play one weekend and play pretty hard you can do this all in less than 2 days of game play.

One step further for the more dedicated, just to show u how easy crafting is.

Its possible to gm many of those skills with out ever making a single item, this includes all of the master work skills.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    Lord Baldrith and Fister Magee like this.
  18. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

The dedication required is to be capable of carrying on after nuking 2 exceptional pine/supple bows on 1st/2nd rolls. Hours of mats, tons of fuel and processing, all to become 12 wood scap in 1 minute.

My first 3 pairs of carp shoes blew up too, first roll. Nice intro.

Gatherers can make better cash with zero risk selling at the current market prices.

My many weeks have also brought some beautiful items into the world... Definitely not for everyone, even though it can be done by anyone who chooses to

LoneStranger and 4EverLost like this.
  19. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

So was I, suet doesn't change the cost at all as they are free when your labor has no value. 173 curing salts are the bulk of the expense, both to cure a bunch of hides and to convert enough leather to supple leather.

20. Gix

Gix Avatar

You misunderstood me: I don't craft because I absolutely hate crafting with a burning passion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.