Gardening Mandrake not worth it?

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by MrBlight, Sep 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Is my math off or is the only thing worth growing Cotton?

Seeds are 16 G
    3 buckets of water at 4 gold a peice = +12
    =26 G

Each harvest seems to be max of 6 mandrake that ive gotten?
    Which is 4 dollars a pice.
    you actually spend 2 gold more for gardening?

Can anyone shed some light on my inibility to garden? lol

2. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

my experiment confirms this

I buy my mandrake root 1000 at a time for 4000g. Takes 1 second of my time and is cheaper

@DarkStarr it should be non profitable to sell the grown mandrake root back to a marchant, but it should also be cheaper than buying it from a merchat for this to work properly. That way there is incentive to grow it

3. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

For now it's more feasible to buy them from vendors and grow something else until the upcoming revamp.

4. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Glad to know it wasnt just in our heads, we even measured the dif with the max watering..
    And it was just a waste of time. lol
    Worth doing cotton simply because u cant buy it but, meh even then.

Fionwyn Wyldemane likes this.
  5. monkeysmack

monkeysmack Avatar

Hopefully we can refill buckets soon with wells so the water cost will go away.

6. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

In my mind I imagined that there would be a cap on how many reagent plants you could have per household, since it's the only way to make this system work without circumventing the gold sink aspect of reagents.

In fact I think that was the original plan when household reagent plants were first announced, that there would be a limit to how many you could own. Am I not mistaken?

7. Brighton Rock

Brighton Rock Avatar

8. Jovics

Jovics Avatar

in a green house you only need to water x2.. at least that all i have done and it works out well.

9. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

At the moment based on crop yield, you save mothing growing regs vs. buying them from the NPC, unless you manage to perfectly water it, in which case you save literally pennies. For the amount of time/effort it simply is not worth it. Yield needs to be about quadrupled on reagent farming to make it worthwhile, or seed cost reduced, OR the ability to seed your own crops and fill up buckets, removing the recurrent sink.

10. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

6x per plant is not the max you can harvest. In fact, it's about half of what you can potentially get per plant.

You need to water your plants a total of 4 times regardless of whether or not it's in a greenhouse. One time when planting in the Sow Seed recipe, one time immediately after planting, one time after 16 hours (8 hours in a greenhouse), and finally 1 time after an additional 16 hours (8 in greenhouse).

Each plant has a total number of days it takes to grow. Mandrake takes 2 days to fully grow. Water cooldown for all plants is equal to 1/3 of the total time to grow. So for mandrake, the water cooldown is 16 hours (or 8 hours in a greenhouse). Greenhouses divide the total time to grow in half, so the water cooldown is twice as fast.

Check this post for a list of the grow times on each crop and for the water cooldown explanation: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/agriculture-feedback.61429/

11. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

So what is worth growing then?

12. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

For me personally, nothing. It takes way too much time investment to grow these plants to be worth it to me. Clicking on every single little plot just to sow the seed and then also clicking on every single plant just to water them takes too long and is tedious. You're better off spending that time investment simply farming gold in an adventure area instead. You can make money off of any of the plants, but it just isn't worth it for the time investment.

I can grow 160 cotton plants on my property right now. At 32 gold cost per plant, that's 5120 gold to fill my lot with cotton plants. It takes me about 45 minutes to an hour to plant all of those and water them the first time. Watering them twice more takes about 10 minutes each time. So that's a little over an hour to plant and water all of that cotton. That will yield approximately 1600 Raw Cotton at an average of 10 Raw Cotton per plant. If you sell that Raw Cotton at say 7.5 gold a piece for a total of 12,000 gold, if you can even find buyers, then you've only made 6880 in profit. I can make that same amount of profit in about that same amount of time out killing Fighters in the Serpent Spine Foothills where I'll simultaneously be leveling my skills and gathering Pine Wood, Raw Cotton, and Beetle Carapaces (I ignore wolf corpses).

If farming is something you enjoy, then go ahead. You can still make money off of it. It's just not worth it to me.

Edit: Hopefully the agriculture skill tree will help resolve this. Skills such as a chance to recieve rarer materials from plants (such as beetle carapaces), increased harvest yield, and a chance to recycle seeds from plants would greatly improve the agriculture system. Plus the ability to plant and/or water multiple plants at a time to reduce the time investment it takes.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  13. AceBenSuited

AceBenSuited Avatar

I get more than that in the field per harvest. Do you not get meticulous when doing your own plants? And no chance of the rares? That does seem broken.

14. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

Yep, no meticulous and no chance of rares. You don't actually harvest it like you do out in the field. When harvesting a plant that you planted, clicking on it just makes it instantly disappear and you get a set amount of yield from it. So Mandrake will give you 6x per plant if you only use 3x buckets of water for it. It will give you 10-14x per plant if you use 4x buckets of water for it.

Fionwyn Wyldemane and FrostII like this.
  15. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

After playing with it, cotton would be only thing to save foraging time, but your right i also didnt find it really worth the time..

Fionwyn Wyldemane and Sixclicks like this.
  16. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

That's the one thing I've found it to be really good for, building up my own personal supply of cotton for use in various recipes. You've still gotta hit the cotton nodes out in the wild if you want beetle carapaces though.

17. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

Ugh, planting. Reminds me too much of my second job in ArcheAge. Although, there, you could make high-end potions with what you planted and make a profit. :)

18. Josh Randall

Josh Randall Avatar

I only plant so I can up with how to do it and any changes they implement

But yes, buying instead of planting is much more economically sound

Besides, buying supposedly helps the economy... doesn't it?

Oh wait, no because that is sold by an NPC - no benefit to the economy at all.

Sheesh....

19. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Sometimes I am planting for yard decorations and I don't harvest my plants that often. ;) I'm sure it will change and improve, but I do love what has been done so far and looking forward to what's next for planting and growing things. ;)

20. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

FYI watering times outside / inside a rowhouse or in basement are during and after planting the same, then 8 days, then another 8 days...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.