Helpful Responses

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Loaffer, Sep 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loaffer

Loaffer Avatar

When people ask How or Where!!! Lets answer with ITS HERE of VENDOR NAME has it. The I hear this area is good. Or I think its not implemented yet. DO NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS. If you do knot know do not reply to a post.

This would big a big help

majoria70 and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  2. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

[​IMG]

... sorry, couldn't resist :D

3. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

I hear these type of responses are good, but I do not think the community 'when to respond' button is implemented yet.

4. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I assume that all of that refers to replies in a post that disappointed you, but you have not referenced it here.
    Given that, what is your point ?

5. Selene

Selene Avatar

Because the game is still being made, sometimes an answer someone gives was true a day or a week ago but due to the very dynamic nature of things at this point, it has since been changed. No one is trying to give misleading answers.

6. Loaffer

Loaffer Avatar

If you do not know the answer, go not say " I hear Adoris has some and Klin has lots". THAT S MY POINT!

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  7. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Just like in real world, you can't always expect everyone to spoonfeed you with 100% accurate information. There are times that you will need to chase the lead and do due diligence yourself as well.

Many knowledge and information obtained during prior release could be as well obsolete. People may not have time go to validate all their knowledge every release either.

8. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Dewd !
    What do you mean when you say "go not say" ? I can't relate to that.
    Beyond that, your reference to Ardoris and Klin (which I will assume to actually be Kiln) has what to do with what again ?

9. juberobo1

juberobo1 Avatar

Grasshopper sounds like they need some time for deeper reflection...

4EverLost likes this.
  10. Thwip

Thwip Avatar

I think he is trying to say, "If you don't know the answer, don't offer guesses." or "If you don't know what you are talking about, don't talk." etc...

*aaaand now I'm sure someone will step in and offer up a plausible situation where someone offering partial information would be justified... :p

11. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

Or... you could take it as a good thing since even though they may not know the answer, their reply is bumping your thread back up to the top of the forums and therefore giving your question more visibility and a higher chance of getting a favorable response.

12. ldykllr

ldykllr Avatar

I've found the majority of people are overwhelmingly helpful....and if they answer your post even with a little information that might lead you in the right direction, you should be grateful because they don't have to offer any help. No need to get so angry about it.

4EverLost and Fister Magee like this.
  13. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Sure. I'm up for any challenge as long as there is some slight potential for beer at the end, or an internet cookie or two.
    ;):p

Since the game is in a state of change then almost all answers given by players will be partial information mostly based on old observations. So if everyone only answered what they are absolutely certain about, then there would be very few answers indeed.
    So it is much better to receive answers to all questions even if a % of them are no longer true, since the vast majority of "I think I saw that on a vendor in Ardoris" will turn out to be correct, when compared to letting the vast majority of questions be unanswered.

For instance we can see this from the OP himself over here:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/optional-fertilizer.60329/#post-653940
    Lord Barugon posts a question on where to get X or if X is implemented yet.
    Loaffer instead choses to answer a different question that highlights that it is optional.
    Lord Barugon likes that post.
    So we can clearly see that Loaffer himself sees the value in not always answering a "WHERE" question with a "ITS HERE" and instead knowing the value lies in being helpful even if one sometimes doesn't give the exact answer to the specific question. Which means that we need to reconsider his proposal in the OP.
    :D

We can compare this with reality, stop a stranger in the street and ask for directions. If they answer "I think it is over there" then there is a very large probability that it actually is over there even if the stranger added that caveat.
    We don't ignore that persons answer just because they were unsure, nor do we tell that stranger that they did something wrong just because they were uncertain of the answer.
    Instead we assume they were helpful and probably reliable, but if we really want to be certain we check with the next stranger and if they also point in the general direction of "I think it is over there" then we are pretty much good to go.

Or compare this with the reality of Tech Support - they don't know which of step X/Y in a long list of "have you tried doing X" will actually solve the issue. But they do know that going through that long list of X/Y will most likely find one thing that actually does help you. So demanding that they would only make such suggestions if they were 100% certain of specifically step X being the solution would be unreasonable and unproductive since that would remove the whole list of X/Y.

There are even studies performed and fancy names given for this kind of social contracts when it comes to problem solving but lets not go there... unless there is more free beer and cookies?
    :eek::p

14. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

If someone gives you a generalized response, you could either investigate to see if it's valid, or you could just take it with a grain of salt. Or....... try to fish for a more detailed response if you can. Sometimes, you may get one.

4EverLost likes this.
  15. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

Salt? Someone mentioned salt? :D Yes, I'm one of those that give vague, misleading advise. I can't help myself. Hence, I warn you.

If I really annoy you, please feel free to click the ignore button. You'll find you'll not see any advise from those (like me) that give vague, misleading directions.

Alexander likes this.
  16. Thwip

Thwip Avatar

Good job! Now let's go have beer and cookies! ;)

*or better yet cookie and beers!!! :D:p

Spoon likes this.
  17. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I assume you are angry.
    My guess is missleading answers made you angry.
    I am not sure if that's correct but I heard calming down might help.
    In other words:
    Welcome to the interwebz. You must be new here.
    [​IMG]

18. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Thwip likes this.
  19. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

If only there were people walking around with question marks over their heads, who'd update your journal, give you a HUD tracker, mark things on your map and compass.

20. Josh Randall

Josh Randall Avatar

ITS HERE, Vendor Joe has it.

Oh, sorry what was the question again?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.