Is crafting working ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brass Knuckles, Sep 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Ohh well this topic might not apply to you then ;).

2. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

That just goes back to what I said earlier though... you could just sell those 20 suets and the leather for more than you would get for the chest piece you crafted using those materials.

Nadomir and Govenor Ruin like this.
  3. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

And you sell to the people who are crafting their own gear because they can't find what they want from anyone else and they explode a few before they can even get one to a point that it's worth the time.

Pikegirl and Nadomir like this.
  4. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

I just put up and ad in wtb for two sets of high end chaimmail.

I'm curious to see the result.

5. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

I'll see if one of my guildies is interested after I get home from work later if he's online. I know we have a grandmaster enchanter, but I'm not sure what his blacksmith masterworking is at right now.

6. Gix

Gix Avatar

I'm pointing out that not EVERYONE is crafting gear and I'm giving crafters my point of view (as a consumer-only participant in the economy) as to why people might not see expected sale numbers.

I buy to the most convenient sale. If you guys can't sell your stuff, then I'd be stuck crafting it myself. So it's kind of my problem too.

7. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Yea ok sales are a part of the conversation for sure, thats an easy fix though add more disposable income into the economy. Though your looking for the +4 stuff I do expect that stuff to become common place on the vendors in a few months since almost no time comitment is involved other than grabbing the mats. I.e. just about anyone willing to make it can and not havr yo invest much time leveling anything.

I actually think they are working on the money part of it though. Sounds like r34 has some buffs coming.

Its also possible some inflation will be created a stack of 20 silver ore might go from 2200 to 2700 who knows will have to see it.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    ldykllr likes this.
  8. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

Problem is, I can farm 5x that silver in the same amount of time as farming coin.

The people who buy it are rich and want to GM everything while still in early access.

Gathering/Advenuring income should be equatable at 5 skull levels. But for some reason an afternoon haul of silver is worth 20k+

All the comments about +4 everywhere are not really the case, at least stuff that is seen as valuable. Sword with +2int and +10 focus or Longbow with +10 hp and +2 str are straight trash imho. Sometimes you will push more rolls then blow it up.

I only sell matched stat items and minimum 2 (good) damage bonuses for weps. +. 2 damage and str dmg bonus on certain weps are trash too. Procs on hit are rare, as are some gemmed chest enchants. My prices are 5k+ for good stats but common materials (hats etc) and 10-12k for a nearly perfect weapon.

9. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Yup kinda the same points ive been making.

1. Its easy to craft your own lower level stuff +4 ish
    2. Mats are pretty expensive and often can sell for more than the item.
    3. Weapons turn more that armor.
    4. Once people have thier epic sword there pretty much good to go, a few cotos and that weapon will be arround for a very long time no need for a new one.

The +4 common place comment was for a cpl months down the road once people figure out how easy it is to make gear at that level.

If ur selling exceptionaly made weapons at 5k, i need to know where you vendor is. Ill def take several exceptionally made weapons with 2 masterworks. Thats a good wep... the +4 ive talked about was 1 mw and 1 enchant on a non exceptional weapon, theres no risk in those.

10. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

The easy +4s are one roll each, and not worth much. I do mainly bows/staves with 2/2. Also the good rolls consume heavy amounts of durability, making them last much shorter.

Many have noticed higher wear with a +9 compared to a stock weapon. COTOs aren't cheap, but cheaper than replacing lol.

I do tons of 2HS, but mainly use them due to wear and sales are iffy. Lots of carp cloth too, but my luck has been brutal on breaks/crap +1 stat rolls. Some stuff is barely worth the risk/dur hit ><

Also, the RNG for exceptional is pretty evil. Could do a 30 stack of bronze and get zero good swords. Time in-game to mine 60 tin and 120 copper? Long.

Then after all that, RNG smacks u on a break of that 1 exceptionional lol. Cringe worthy somedays

11. Hunter Rose

Hunter Rose Avatar

From a non-crafter perspective, I've been thinking maybe they should make the NPC gear just freaking worthless after 1 skull zones to force our hand to purchase Player created gear. As it is, I've mainly solo'd my way into 4 and 5 skull territory basically repairing a single suit of armor (light) and weapons I found in a 2 skull zone. Make the durability horrid to a point where making player made items makes sense. I've got tons of gold. All those items seem great but I'm still putting a can of oil in my 1987 Toyota Corolla and it seems to be doing the trick.

Kaisa and Govenor Ruin like this.
  12. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Yup I agree.. I have like 9 or 10 +7 bows collecting dust. I have +9 exceptional with 100 dura as my use bow, i dont think ill make another bow untill eps 2 most likley.

13. Swan

Swan Avatar

still wondering why did portalarium decided that its good idea have 2 different XP pools
    this make it so that everyone is crafter, selling crafted material to crafter is not gonna work.
    having people choose themself use XP to crafting or hunting from one pool, market would be completely different now
    this is because players have made math, that hunting coins and buying ore is attleast 2-3x faster then mining process itself (yes you miners are doing double work vs for those who buy your ore)
    weapons detoriate 100x faster than armor,
    why is this the case nobody know.
    soon as i anyone get that perfectly rolled armor/weapon there is 0 reason to buy anymore new one from market, cotos surely in long run kill market completely

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    Pikegirl and Govenor Ruin like this.
  14. LiquidSky

LiquidSky Avatar

They need to add critical to repair. Critical failure destroys item. Critical success adds max durability.

You can keep the COTO repair.

Snazz likes this.
  15. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

And you could mine gold or hunt skellies instead as well, but opportunity cost wasn't the question, raw cost was. Which is why ~1700 gp is the cost of that armor, without accounting for labor. You can argue that 3500 is a more accurate cost because it accounts for your forgoing the opportunity to sell the components instead, but those are just excuses for a higher price like "optimizations" on a Best Buy laptop or and under/over/super-duper coat on a car.

16. Raistlyn

Raistlyn Avatar

This idea of one xp pool is something I was thinking about also, it might be a great idea. Or at least a system where you cant possibly master ALL of the different crafting trees.

17. Nadomir

Nadomir Avatar

Crafting is part of the game and as it seems many people currently attracted to this game in it's state of develoment belong to the crafter oder do-it-yourself-typ of players. Literally everyone can make all the basic stuff they need and it as it seems still way too many (compared to the whole playerbase) are able to craft even decent stuff themselves. As I understand the skillsystem it's quite possible to be a good crafter AND a good fighter. So what are the options?

Restrict the skillsystem, so you can master less skills, to force players to specialize more? Well, if I want to be a master crafter I need a way to get there... and the base for that is: money for my materials to get there. You need a steady flow of meterials to learn your craft and later to you need them to get to the top of your craft and stay there. Where is all this to come from when you cannot be a fighter, too? And then then when you are a decent enough fighter to get your own materials the human nature kicks in: you don't want to be less than what you already are! You don't want to lose your fighting skills. Should the system force us to do so? Maybe! But then you need to be able to relay on your crafting to support itself. I actually don't see that part happening. Beside that you want to keep up with your friends and play with them... not only sit back home and wait for them to supply you with some mats for money... That might work for some of us, but not for the bulk of the players you are used to being a great fighter AND craftsman from other games... yes, I know, this is NOT Wow, but it's what most players out there know, where their explectations come from. That doesn't mean we have to go that way, to, but it means we have to adress those explectations in a way that is comprehensible to players coming to SotA.

What other options are there?
    I think one important step would be to give being a master of your craft more meaning (and that includes fighters/mages/rangers/thieves/crafters/whatevers), Crafting +6 and greater stuff should reasult in items truely worth the effort and the price. MAybe this could be done by adding some kind of affinity-bonus to the item effects, like when you are a swordsmaster you get more out of a +7 sword than when you are just a greenhorn who happen to find that nice shiny (+7) sword and can barely tell the dangerous end of it. So if you got the right skills at the right level you get more out of enchanted and masterworded crafted items than you would with lower skills...

Also we need to adress the effect, that you can keep an item indefintily in perfect shape using COTA... while I certainly see the idea behind it, it seems to kill economy... so what if you need a certain crafting skill of approriate level to repair +X stuff? So that super-duper-mega-conan-style fighter needs to meet his master weapon-smith to get his +10 sword of instant dragonslaying back into shape one in a while. Investing a Cota plus some other mats to get it back to 100% Repairing it in the field using normal repair-sets should work to keep it from totally falling apart for some time (also lowering it's effectiveness), but to get it back to full you need to see a skilled crafter who can make some more bucks out of it.

So what do you think? Any other ideas?

LoneStranger likes this.
  18. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

No, I was comparing the value of the raw materials to the final product. If the raw materials are worth 3500, then the final product is worth at least 3500 as well or else you're losing out on potential money regardless of whether or not you purchased or gathered he resources yourself.

Which still returns to the whole point of my first reply. Final products are not worth as much as the raw materials used to make them.

Not to mention it's far easier to sell raw materials than it is to sell a piece of armor or a weapon right now. Plus you need zero crafting skills to gather resources for sale.

Govenor Ruin likes this.
  19. AceBenSuited

AceBenSuited Avatar

I feel the COTO thing will work itself out given time. Problem is, most of the current players started with "free" coto so the cost is really low at this point. Once the supply goes down, I see them being more in the 10k range which may be too expensive to fully rep those blue suede shoes.

I don't think you should have to choose to be a crafter or a fighter, but currently you have to decide what skills to train in the adventure side since the XP pool is getting smaller every skill learned. The crafting side doesn't have as many options so you can train EVERYTHING and still have 100k in the pool (I currently am sitting on 78k with 65-100 in everything including fishing). I liked that way some games had you as just one type of crafter where you had to buy materials from one of the other trees. Crafting that leather armor? Then the tailor has to buy the bindings from a blacksmith. Which can also be done by just limiting the recipes a person can learn based off intelligence or other widget.

If someone DOES just want to be a crafting machine, let them make farms that have the same outcome as the field. It is not fair that I can find those pricey beetles on a random cotton plant while someone gets 3-5 cotton for their 3 days of hard work. Plant trees, regent bushes, even build a mine on a lot near a mountain.

We also need gear for crafters. Right now you can only enhance the tools not a set of clothing for some bonuses.

All this would be great and hard to implement,,, but to answer the OP... No I don't think it is working.

Nadomir likes this.
  20. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I think the cotos hurt crafting esp on high end gear. 1 coto every so often and ur piece is bran new, they have also said they are going to ramp up the coto drops once the freebies have worked thier way threw the system.

Cotos hurt high end crafting long term.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.