6 skull zones asap

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brass Knuckles, Sep 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

People I know who are grinders in this game are mostly PvP people. PvP is a "the highest adv level person wins" kind of thing.

Time Lord likes this.
  2. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I get it. And I've done that. But PvPers would rather play a game where everyone was on equal footing and everything came down to skill. It's why they left MMOs in droves for LoL.

Skill doesn't just come down to button mashing. People are happy to tilt the battlefield with misdirection or grabbing the high ground or some other strategy. But I outgrew the grind to PvP thing 10 years ago, and I think most others have as well.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Drakkhan

Drakkhan Avatar

It seems, to me at least, that there is nothing more important to an MMO than continuing to create content across the board. Claiming that this issue is unimportant or would have a negative impact on the game because it would just create more desire for more content is not a very good argument if you'd like to see people continuing to play, rather than just play for a few months and then bail.

Being a sandbox MMO, the game is essentially boasting that you have the ability to play your way within certain constraints of the mechanics of course. So there are a lot of things to focus on, and none concerning content are more or less important than the next. I do agree that the underlying mechanics are more important than content at this time, but constant introduction of crafting, housing, and pot type updates is not going to sustain the game alone.

I guess I'm just taking a roundabout way of saying that shouting people down because they want more content to fit the style of gameplay they prefer to play is unproductive for the community and harmful to the game. I don't often see housing, crafting, or pot threads where the adventurers come in and talk about how meaningless the op's ideas are, but i also don't read many of those threads since I'm most interested in combat and adventuring. So I apologize for the bias and possible ignorance on the situation. I'm willing to be corrected it that is indeed a theme that I am unaware of.

All of us are playing this game together. Not all of us like to play the same way. That's fine, that's what this game is trying to accomplish. There is a lot to focus on for the devs, and I trust, with time, they will continue to add content that will compliment each of our play styles. There's no need to claim that my needs are more important than yours, or discount someone else's viewpoint because it is not the one I share. It's divisive and unproductive and most of us who would like to take part in the conversation on a topic hesitate in posting because of all the bickering we see on the forums. It doesn't look good for a game that also boasts about how helpful the community can be.

4. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]

Themo Lock and Mac R like this.
  5. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

Skill caps easy fix , one of the many issues with SOTA.

6. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

Luckily they have different dev teams for the wildly different components to SOTA.

Working on one won't slow down the other. Some have more direct impacts to funding though... Lol

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Drakkhan

Drakkhan Avatar

In the interest of conversation, how so? I'm not convinced one way or another at the moment, but my initial reaction is against hard skill caps. Just to provide the alternate perspective, should we also then cap crafting abilities? Once crafting is capped, should we stop implementing craftables? Or does your solution involve capping the skills in order to be able to provide content more effectively to everyone?

I don't mind grinding it out for a little while if that means I then have a chance to explore new areas with harder content. So far I'm getting a little bored of exploring new areas with the same level of difficulty, loot, etc and only cosmetic changes to speak of (undead instead of elves, corpions instead of spiders, etc.)

Hornpipe and Time Lord like this.
  8. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

You don't necessarily need skill caps. But you do need a strategy. Some part of the game needs to hit zero sum in terms of power. e.g. you only have two hands so learning an infinite numbers of weapons give you more choices, not more power. The same can be true with limits of focus, or decks, or GCDs. I love the idea that being a grand master of swords would give you all sorts of cool, flashy, animations but for the most part, you're just showing off. Perhaps my amazing parry skill means my armor takes less durability damage, even though there's really no defensive change.

The game doesn't need loads of content if the mechanics behind the sandbox work properly. People in DAoC (or dozens ofother faction vs faction games) could be endlessly entertained taking the same castles back and forth from each other. But today, we have something sandboxy with no mechanics. It's just a big dollhouse with wolf killing. And frankly I'd rather play the new WoW expansion (or whatever else is out there) than kill wolves with no bigger goal than the opportunity to fail armor crafts.

Lord Baldrith and Time Lord like this.
  9. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

LMAO end game in R33 two releases after launch.

How about we finish all the other systems, crafting , housing, towns, . . . . . .

10. Drakkhan

Drakkhan Avatar

Point taken. The advantage of good game mechanics in both PvE and PvP allows for the 'meta' to change, therefore making the experience seem less stagnant. Balancing often forces meta onto players if due to nerfing what was once good in an attempt to allow diversity, but usually just makes whatever was nerfed an invalid option rather than providing the diversity that is being sought after. But that's a comment for another thread to explore.

I do agree though, mechanics are the foundation for the success of any game. In chess, the queen is totally op compared to the pawns, but the sheer number of pawns make them viable in gameplay. You don't automatically win just because you have a queen and the opponent may not... Can't say the same for the king though, but that is the mechanic of the game. There's no new fancy boards or additional pieces added in, yet people still play because of the strategy and complexity.

So caps or no caps, the adventurer and crafter alike will suffer if we don't have something to engage with in a meaningful and challenging way.

11. Nadomir

Nadomir Avatar

Well, there has not been a launch yet. Way to go there...

Regarding skillcaps: Actually if everything is green to you now and you cannot develop any further... well, skillcap reached!

Hornpipe, Time Lord and Fister Magee like this.
  12. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Just day-dreaming what it must be like to find all content too easy and what I would do if I were so powerful...

I think I would flag myself PVP and knock the heck out of everyone who crossed my path :rolleyes:

Uh oh, just met someone in my dream who is as powerful as I am :eek:

Time Lord and Govenor Ruin like this.
  13. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

End game does not mean final game content, but something that is considered playable and repeatable content for people who have worked thier way to top tier content.

We all know this game has barley started, but again this is a mmo and most the mmo content is gobbled up by week 3 or 4ish. With the exception of the rise and a few mini bosses, this game needs stuff that friends can do togther as it is atm its punative to play with friends.

Example t5 stuff feels like slicing threw butter with a steak knife atm adding friends creates as rush threw the zone mentality and thats not fun either.

The game needs zones that are difficult for the single player again, were they would want to take a couple of friends along.

Notice out of my guild of 100 ish started after persistance only a handful log in every night. I realize this is a work in progress and im not expecting miracles but I feel some thought needs to go into this the earlier the better.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    Time Lord likes this.
  14. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

IMO this game needs more people to be creative. We should not rely totally on Portalarium for new content all the time. Min/Max players simply will never be satisfied. We NEED Port to define what kind of game we are playing. Since the kickstarter originally stated "Shroud is a single player game that you can play online with your friends". Many people want the game balanced from the single player aspect in which the game was promoted. It is supposed to be a fantasy game that you can get lost and immersed in. The problem I see is that people want to rush through content for various reasons. They want to be first to craft a new item, they want to rush to get the latest RMT, they want to be the first to kill the latest boss. They do this skipping over most of the content, quests (unless they get something they want from quests) and ignoring and actually playing the game as a RPG. :( I understand that this is just the way it is now and it makes me sad that this "throwback" to the earlier Ultimas appealed to the classic old fashioned gamer, but has been pushed now as an MMO. :( So basically I wish people would start being creative in role play instead of demanding content contently.

Pikegirl, Lord Baldrith and Time Lord like this.
  15. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Ill pass on the role play aspect, im here for the multi player sandbox /uo spititual successor that it was also promised to be.

@Ravicus Domdred

16. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

right, and I do not object to that, as the game was billed with three online modes. Single player online, Friends online, and Multiplayer online (around 16 people per scene). It indeed did mention UO in the kickstarter. It stated Shroud is the spriritual successor to the Ultima games (mainly U4-7) and using the online persistent world of UO.

17. Lord Blackthorne

Lord Blackthorne Avatar

I'm adventurer level 17. I would prefer a balanced economy over a six or seven skull scene.

18. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

In looking for these things they say or said SOTA would be, we also have to consider that the meaning of those terms may not match what we ourselves have come to know them as. I think the is especially true with SOTA, because most of the common terms used were first invented by our Portalarium team.
    I sure agree with that one! Challenging isn't so challenging when there's nothing really to gain from it. But I think we're going to have to have "everything" all put together before we can ever call it balanced.
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

19. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Yea the game needs work in alot of areas.

How do you ballance a single player game and group based game and have good ballance? I cant be an easy thing.

Agreed, but keeping freinds playing together is important as well.

Something for the dev team to think about here.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  20. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

Crafting and gathering keeps me pretty busy, although that is frustrating at times....

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.