Risk VS Reward!

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by McKipper, Sep 22, 2016.

?

Do you agree that this style should be added to the game?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McKipper

McKipper Avatar

I think weather you chose pvp or not their still always needs to be an element of risk in the game. More than just losing some pooled exp, this can branch out in many ways. I would like it to be more like UO in this sense, gold is carried and needs depositing in the bank for safe storage. You don't take gold with you into battle for risk of losing it, you just try and gain gold from battle. If you die you should need to return to your body once resurrected, to reclaim all of your equipment and all of your gold. If say you don't make it back in time and another player gets there first, he wont be able to loot all of your belongings. But he will have say a random chance to gain random amounts of it. Looting another player could effect your karma, and this opens many other doors. If chosen to open any, but the element of risk needs to be there as it is what I honestly see this game lacks the most. Please don't reply with go do pvp then, because that is not the point I am trying to make. As you have a choice in pvp, to or not to do it, there needs to be the risk in no choice! It dose not need to be pvp to have the element of risk, all it needs is the chance of loss. Like you may make a vest of armor that is +10 and costs you lots of fails, in crafting to gain. Then in a vicious battle against a Lich Lord, you don't make it as you are slain by the Lich Lord. Then are unable to get back in time before another gets there. This person chooses to loot your corpse, gaining the randomly selected vest armor +10, and a random portion of gold/loot. This I know would be very annoying, but the element of risk that it gives, by far outweighs the loss, In entertainment value! How can you go on a true Adventure with no risk?

(There would need to be a system added to stop guild/party members looting for loot safety reasons.)
    (Looting would do something like lowering your karma, causing you to become red after repeat offences.)
    (Red's could be attacked by anyone anywhere, but this would need a + and - Karma system to be in place.)

2. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Anything is better and make the game more interesting as it is now.

Abydos, Ravicus Domdred and Time Lord like this.
  3. Pyric

Pyric Avatar

totally agree, great post

Abydos likes this.
  4. Elfenwahn

Elfenwahn Avatar

As long as its not "full loot" but a limited random loot similar to the PVP results. I am fine with this.

Abydos likes this.
  5. Lansirill

Lansirill Avatar

Okay, so you've introduced additional risk. Where is the additional reward?

6. Vodalian

Vodalian Avatar

Yes! This game would really benefit from more risk to make it fun and interesting. The greatest reward will be that our accomplishments feel like they're worth more when the game is harder and more unpredictable.

7. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Rewards are currently only available in the cash store. We need PVP and Guild Dynamics to get some form of achievement with game-play actions.

Abydos likes this.
  8. LiquidSky

LiquidSky Avatar

The reward is no PVP

Olthadir and Fister Magee like this.
  9. McKipper

McKipper Avatar

Ok people Risk vs Reward, if you are blind and cant sense the reward, it is simply like I said, "ENTERTAINMENT." It would only be a potential partial loss that would be random, item wise and gold/loot if it occurred. Potential loss gives you that feeling and sense that you need to be fully aware of what's going on around you. Else you may lose a nice self crafted item!

Ask yourself this: do you really want to play a game that has no essence of Risk? Well by answering No that is what you are after. No simply says I am a care bear and I never want to Risk losing anything, I want to just gain and gain. Till the day comes when my care bear den is full of goods, then a new game should be out that's more care bear than this! I am well aware this game has pvp, and I know it needs more attention, consider this as a stepping stone towards that as it would require opening of the karma system.

I don't mean with what I have said to discriminate against anyone, as I truly believe each is entitled to their own opinion. I am just showing my personal view on this matter and what I want more than anything is for this game to go back to my favourite game of all time, in style to some degree... UO!

Based on this message and some questions I will allow people to change their vote for a short period!
    Remember (Yes) says you want more entertainment! (No) says I am a care bear leave me alone!

Elfenwahn likes this.
  10. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

No.
    "Risk" always translates to "people don't PvP." And the last thing we need is less people PvPing.

Let people PvP for some prize. Losers don't get the prize. It's simple and it works.

What you're proposing is exactly the opposite of what the game needs.

Mac2 likes this.
  11. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Additional 'risk' and/or frustration doesn't translate to extra entertainment for me. It just means additional risk/frustration.
    In your example, I've already gone through the whole risk/frustration process making the +10 armor in the first place. I now have to keep it in good repair. At some point its nice to sit back and enjoy the reward.
    If additional 'risk' is to be added, there needs to be a benefit/tradeoff.

Currently risk vs. reward is very sloppy in SotA - reward wise, you're still better off churning trivial content than trying something difficult.
    I would hate to see additional punishment for players who do more difficult content: A bigger death penalty just stymies people trying new things, giving us yet another reason to churn trivial content.

12. Womby

Womby Avatar

The loot should go to the lich (for example), and consist only of items collected within that scene. The next player to kill the lich gets it all. Players directly looting players is PVP, and should only be possible if the looted player is flagged for PVP - same as with pickpocketing.

McKipper and Elfenwahn like this.
  13. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

I was always against it, but I feel we need to get split servers for Roleplayers and Gamers. Make all the Pots and Cash stupidness go to one server and make a second server where everything can be obtained by means ingame and has more player interaction but maybe some monthly fee to play on it. I know dividing the player base even further is a risky move.. but were declining already and we need some bold action or massive new gameplay content to attract people back to play and then maybe rebuild the bad rep the game has so it can attract new players.

14. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

I think FULL LOOT PVP but if you are a red PVPer and die you are permanently DEAD! Your karma is low you come back as a cockroach. Your only option is to play as a cockroach or reroll another character and start over.

Don't half ass your risk Mr. PVPer.

Manerd likes this.
  15. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

totally agree

16. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

People without PVP tag play as cockroaches all day ^^

17. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

That's all you could come up with? Hope you're better at PVP than debating.

18. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

THAT was pathetic ^^

19. Womby

Womby Avatar

@Greyfox, @Vallo go to your rooms at once! No dessert for either of you!

Acred, Greyfox, Nadomir and 1 other person like this.
  20. Nadomir

Nadomir Avatar

Hmm... so non-PvP-players are cockroaches to you? That's not pathetic? And there people ask me why I dislike many PvP-players... it's statements like that
    and the mindset behind such statements...

And why does "risk" always seem to have to involve one player killing and looting another player for some people? Why do you always seem to have to risk you (virtual) life and belongings all the time to be allowed to be rewarded for playing such games? The thrill might be a reward for some players... but not for the majority. Most players want to play a game to have fun, not to constantly live in fear of being robbed or killed or whatever danger you might come up with.

And after all: once you all-mighty PvP-junkies have killed yourselves... it's the cockroaches that will rule the world....

hugh! The cockroach has spoken!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.