Will you be part of a Kickstarter/Pledge for the next Episode release?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vallo Frostbane, Sep 24, 2016.

?

Will you pledge in the second kickstarter (Episode 2) and at what level?

1. Same as in Episode 1 Kickstarter...

16.0%
  2. Greater than in Episode 1 Kickstarter...

13.6%
  3. Lower than in Episode 1 Kickstarter...

24.5%
  4. I will not pledge in an Episode 2 Kickstarter...

45.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

To be honest, I really don't know if I would or not. They did, after all, promise 5 episodes during the first Kickstarter for those who pledged at a certain level.
    Yet, they may have to start a second Kickstarter just for the fact that digital swag alone may not be enough to fund the second episode.
    If I were to vote on this, I would probably lean towards less than what I put in during the first kickstarter. I did, after all, sink in a lot of money into this so far.

Mykll, Chatele, Verit and 2 others like this.
  2. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

I missed the initial Kickstarter, initially doe to not being aware of it (I was wrapped up in another project at the time), and even when I became aware, I delayed my involvement in SOTA because of my previous commitments. I finally got my initial pledge 3/2015 and upgraded twice since. I really wish I had gotten involved here much earlier than I did; I am thrilled to be a part of this project and will certainly re-up my pledge for any and all coming episodes.

Long live Lord British!

3. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

This game has I lot of things I would not have paid for that I later learned to appreciate. POT's are one of those things. I have noticed by the recent tone from the developers that they have put POT's well above PRT's in terms of encouraging people to join them. Further, they are actively trying to give POT's a leg up and promotion as well. I initially loathed the very idea of POT's as I pictured selfish little children trying to dominate the game, especially when some were arguing for the right to ban players from them.

Alas I was wrong, while there may be a few undesirable players out there abusing POT's, I don't know them, all I have seen are people just like me trying to make the best of the cards they are dealt. I have come to see them as just part of the game.

Right now, the one thing I completely dislike about the game is RMT (esp gold sellers) which I picture as a bunch of greedy undeserving people capitalizing on the hard work of the developers and at the expense of all of us who contributed so much of our funds earned by real life blood sweat and tears. Alas, I can already see that my view is not correct, and that many people doing that are just players playing a different aspect of the game, not greedy monsters. Like with the POT's there are bad apples. I guess you can say that about everything.

BUT, what I do know about this game is that it is the most delicate, intricate, involved game I have ever played. That is because there are many other players that believe in the world created and that makes me want to believe in it and want to be in it. There are bad people and bad ideas everywhere in life, but there is so much more gained from adventuring forth despite those odds. If this was the game I alone would make, it would not be worth playing. Fortunately, it is the game we all made together. And this is why I know I will continue to back the game. It is because of the players and the world we share together. Backing the game keeps the lights on and dream alive.

However, I do fear the kickstarter because I don't know what happens if it fails. Looking at Steam's mixed reviews, it just seems like the odds are not favorable. Most investors spend less than 5 minutes deciding. Why would anyone in 5 minutes decide to spend money on a game that already had a kicstarter and has mixed reviews? It is a scary proposition to me. But perhaps, the opposite will happen, Kickstarter succeeds and lots more players!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  4. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

There was always a plan to crowd funds the other episodes, and the pledge levels that included those episodes were so players did not feel obligated to back all of them. This should not come as a surprise to anyone, but apparently it wasn't spelled out enough for everyone. They talked about multiple campaigns, one for each episode, way back during the first Kickstarter.

Duke Albert and Alexander like this.
  5. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

I probably missed that part about future campaigns, but it does make sense. It is very unlikely they will pull in as much money as they did for the first Kickstarter campaign. Many people are already tapped out financially. Then again, anything is possible :)

6. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

I seem to recall the words "not in the scope for episode 1" being uttered more than "it will be in episode 2"

I would imagine alot those things people are dreaming about being added will be out of scope for epsiode 2 as well

docdoom77, Mykll, Kaisa and 3 others like this.
  7. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

didnt pledge for the first ep but now that i can experience shroud i will for the second.

loving it so far even though i realize its not done and are problems.

i think this has a chance to be special if the devs can find the funding.

8. Schneider DragonFang

Schneider DragonFang Avatar

I will already have access to all 5 episodes anyway. Beyond episode 1 i will have a a basic pledge to all future episodes.
    So as long as I draw breath and keep working my amazing job, then yes I probably will fund a greater amount than I have in episode 1.

Pikegirl, Tahru and Kabalyero like this.
  9. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Might back at a low level, but given that state of Kickstarter these day, I don't see the point, I doubt they'd pull in that much. Better to advertise from here and in game, come join us for Episode 2 might bring back in former players but it doesn't bring in new bodies.

Tahru likes this.
  10. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

I have significant money in this game (likely one of the highest backers) and I will surely back again if we (existing players) are treated properly (which I suspect will be the case).

moko, Onyx, Duke Albert and 2 others like this.
  11. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Yes.

Amount still to be determined.

12. Hunter Rose

Hunter Rose Avatar

Yep, I'm down. Every time I read the forum's, I'm like - okay maybe I'm not having as much fun in the game as I really am. So I play for about nine hours and think about it, and conclude: nope I'm actually having that much fun.

Vrunk Hrrk, Thwip, Bamboozle and 6 others like this.
  13. gtesser

gtesser Avatar

I will back it for the physical rewards(e.g. cloth map!).

14. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

well if they say its going to be a single player game that you can play online with your friends for episode 2....well I am not so sure I will believe them. Thats what they said for episode one.

15. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Cloth map with POTs!

16. GraveDncer

GraveDncer Avatar

Is it perfect? Nope, but thats open development and I'm willinng to wait a bit. I will continue investing, at this point it's Sota crack and and I'm the junkie. :cool:

Tahru likes this.
  17. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

Not a chance.

I'm too busy trying to figure out how to build a time machine so I can go back to the moment I purchased my pledge...

...and forcibly slap my hand away from the mouse.

docdoom77, Mykll, Kaisa and 3 others like this.
  18. Pikegirl

Pikegirl Avatar

I would like to think that I will, but being a boardgame designer myself, I reserve talk about future Kickstarters of a product when its current build is still in early access and its future unclear.

If SotA survives the full year and is still around next fall, with the game system worked on and launched successfully, I would be compelled to support a niche pledge for ep2. Maybe a boat pledge to fish in the high seas etc.

I just wanna see long term commitment on their end, to mirror my commitment to SotA. I'm finding the game fun cos I make my own extra content and keep myself occupied with the community while the devs slowly work on adding content and polish.

But what about the others who get bored or impatient; what are their feelings of the future if they do not see fresh faces in their friends list after an extended period of time?

Persistent multi player in civilized areas, and choice of other game modes entering overland or wilderness areas is the answer. My opinion is that the devs have to set a clear example by prioritizing community and multiplayer interaction as default.

Final point, I'll love to throw more money at the game, but they will have to work for it. Just like everything in life.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  19. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

+1000

Chatele and Pikegirl like this.
  20. Acred

Acred Avatar

I will continue to back the development of this game. That I would also do in a Kickstarter-like campaign IF it is possible to contribute to it via PayPal.

Womby likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.