Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Foods...

Discussion in 'Release 34 Dev+ Feedback Forum' started by Barugon, Sep 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

I see this change as being as poorly implemented as many other portalarium game changes - one where they massively nerf it then have to backtrack somewhat.

If the regen rates were HALVED and that 50% of lost regen could be retained with the correct food buffs I would see this as a balanced change.

As it is the pendulum has swung way to the opposite side atm.

Horance, Aldo and Time Lord like this.
  2. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

But others might still scream that it is too much and they'd still have to backtrack.

This way, they make you scream, cry and rant like mad once, and you'll feel grateful when they come to their senses and do the middle path, which is probably what they wanted in the first place? :rolleyes::eek::D:p

Acred, nonaware and Time Lord like this.
  3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I feel that they should've reduced regen rates by one point each, so that eating a basic food (such as bark bread) would bring it back to normal and eating a better food would give you a buff.

Sentinel2, Tydes, Aldo and 2 others like this.
  4. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

I haven't yet found anyone selling "good" food but the +1/+1 stews available from the inns arent cutting it.

It seems like it needs to be +10 or something close to get back to where we were in R33.

Chatele and Time Lord like this.
  5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Baked salmon: +2.5 health per second for 40 minutes.
    Pepper: +2% fire resistance for 2 minutes.
    Onion: +1 focus per second for 2 minutes.
    Nightshade: -10 health.

nonaware and Time Lord like this.
  6. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

Using taming as an example of another skill they nerfed hard recently and backtracked, I don't think I have spoken to any tamers that feel grateful

7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Ahhh no not yet, but perhaps I will drag them outta my closet ;) Even though we are slowed more, it still is not like it was, omg that was so horrible, well shhhush to me not to remind anyone ;)

Chatele and Time Lord like this.
  8. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

Was thinking dyes, drops. Still maybe even taming - because it's still better than the worse they've shown?:rolleyes:

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Syznow

Syznow Avatar

So how much is all this food gonna weigh to bring us back to normal levels for a dungeon crawl? Will we need potions to buff encumbrance just to be able to carry enough food for long journeys? Already I get encumbered quickly on a hunt and vendor buy rates are so low its crazy. I don't want to see the game become something where you need a dozen types of obsidian potions each week just to play at the level we had immediately postwipe. The wild swings in things make me feel like its pre-wipe, where nothing I do is permanent. I hope devs will be a bit more conservative with their adjustments in the future.

Budner, Gaelis and Time Lord like this.
  10. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Syznow,

How much food do you think you'll need... Doesn't food last an hour or something? Or an otherwise substantial amount of time?

Anyway, I think slow auto-regen even with food is perfect. Anyone remember the Ultima games where there was no auto-regen at all and had to use a Heal spell or a healing potion, or otherwise were SOL until you found a healer in town? Healing potions will have a use now. Though I think most people will just have a Heal spell in their deck and use that since it costs a lot less. And to be perfectly honest, I think many will use Heal to do out of combat healing and not even worry about food regen, and probably not even worry about eating food to begin with. I relied on Heal before anyway, with auto-regen rates faster as they were before...

The game will just play differently... its not the end of the world.

11. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I think the modern MMO players ask themselves, how easy can I play, can I avoid any of the storyline, can I dance listening to the radio for an hour without going afk, can I just be where I want to be whenever I want to be there, can I just show up and the monsters die and I can loot them. Can I just think about crafting and poof, its all done and crafted. Anything else is just to hard and messes with the social patterns they need to stay in game.

Kambrius, Hazard and Time Lord like this.
  12. Syznow

Syznow Avatar

I dont know how much will be needed. That's the question. The comment was just hoping that Devs did not go overboard on trying to balance focus/food like they have with a few other rebalance attempts. I know it will get worked out eventually. Development always takes time. I would just hate for it to be a food grind for a full release when I would rather just be exploring. As I understand it, all the food is not going into the release... only the low end regens. So hopefully that's enough to avoid the need to grind for food. Food/focus is fine, it just looks like the available foods won't have big boosts. But I dont have cooking skills to explore all that right now.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I wanted to try this out but I need carrots for the vegetable stock. Where can I get carrots without stealing them (my truth score is already -186 :()?

Sentinel2 and Time Lord like this.
  14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

So, I found some carrots on a cart in Central Britanny that I could take without affecting my truth score. I tried the duck stew and +2 focus regeneration still does not bring it back to the level of R33. :( This really sucks. I was happy about food gaining some importance but I'm really not happy about another huge nerf. In R33, it already seems like I have to wait an unreasonable amount of time between fighting mobs. If I have to wait even longer, and it becomes harder because I'm running out of focus even faster, then it might just be too frustrating to play at all.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  15. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Yeah some players are like that. And some players just, generally, want a game to be more fun than work. SOTA's devotion to complexity often produces Pyrrhic victories - the game is deeper but it's less fun. I know they are trying to balance depth and playability. But there is a spectrum of players, at one end favoring massive immersion including the need to eat, sleep and probably poop, and at the other end favoring instant gratification and unimpeded sandbox freedom. And most of us gravitate toward the middle of that spectrum. IMHO Portalarium has made a conscious decision to prioritize so-called immersive aspects of the game ahead of playability. Which is their right.

In this particular case of food buffs, I think they are destroying both immersion AND playability, by introducing the tedium of having to maintain food supplies, and/or by making us sit and twiddle our thumbs during a slower regen process.

Chatele, Celthon, Tydes and 4 others like this.
  16. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

ya, maybe we are both at the extreme ends of the spectrum, and in that we provide balance :)

Time Lord likes this.
  17. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

Maybe combine the duck stew with the ardoris colslaw or whatever it's called? Together would be 4.5 focus regen.

Time Lord and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  18. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I wonder if there is a Master level cooking table that would allow you to add more items on the table for the ultimate meal. Kind of like the Master blacksmith table in Hilt.

Sentinel2, Time Lord and 4EverLost like this.
  19. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

What they really need to do is to add in Cooking level as a modifier, thus the better you are a better benefit food will give. Say a 0.1 or 0.2+ for each level 10 in cooking, so for something that is +2 health and +2 focus now, it would be either +3 or +4 for the benefit, this will make levelling the skill important and best cooks in demand. What's the point at the moment in having any high skill in cooking a all can seemingly be made at any level, and is a waste of skill points levelling.

Alley Oop, Time Lord, Horance and 2 others like this.
  20. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

They don't stack. If you eat say a +1 focus regen food and then eat a +2 focus regen food, the +2 replaces the +1. If you eat them the other way around then it stays +2.

4EverLost and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.