Persistence till now

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dexter4, Sep 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dexter4

Dexter4 Avatar

do the dev's even play this game ? I have not been to crag mines for a few weeks and i am here today . Not only are the mobs crazy hard but the first 2 or 3 rooms have 1 to 0 nodes , and the last 2 rooms its been over 35 minutes and not 1 respawn but the mobs sure did respawn . This is just 1 of many things they have done since persistence . I am starting to think they do not want people to play their game . seriously who is making these poor choices . i loved UO and have been playing games since commadore 64 . I want nothing but sucess for sota . I am very sad to play now days . With it only getting worse with every release and patch . i need to find a new game to play thats actually fun and you can group with people . what are you guys going to do when you killed the game before it even gets released ? sale it to EA games ? soo sad soo sad .

lollie, Pikegirl, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  2. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Your hyperbole is excellent today.
    • Most likely the node issue is due to the change where resource nodes do not all spawn at scene load. Some do, but others repop as they would if they were being gathered. It was a change to keep people from harvesting, then reloading the scene in another mode (single or multi) to get fresh nodes.
    • Mobs have had tweaks here and there in an attempt to balance. It's a work in progress.
    • This is not UO.
    • SotA is not finished.

3. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

you might just need to find a better mining spot. I actually have over 2000 copper ore in my chest right now even after making a good 50 bronze chain pieces.

4. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

That topic is missing something... I am at a loss to figure out what possessed it...

Bodhbh Dearg and Time Lord like this.
  5. Dexter4

Dexter4 Avatar

It just feels like the game keeps getting worse. things i've noticed , market has been killed and still not fixed , group areas have been killed and not fixed , mining has been nerfed for what ? if someone wants to hang out in a cave and mine why make them wait for what ? This is supposed to be fun why make it a solo grind with no market and declining activity ? you have no idea how bad i want this game to succeed . i only want to play this game and no other ones . Also killed taming and tried to fix it but i dont see anyone using pets anymore . great job . do you see the pattern ? when UO came out , my friend and i took shifts playing it was that freaking good . 1 of us slept while the other played and it was hard to pull away from the computer . sota had a little bit of that feeling when persistence was released . now just another sandbox . idc you say its not finished , thats no excuse to ruin what good and fun there was and at this rate its going to take 2 more years for release and another 10 million $ . these are just my opinions and how i feel . Sincerely Conflicted .....

6. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I think there is a problem with your expectations. The game is not done. The game is constantly being analyzed and balances are introduced. They aren't changed day to day or even week to week in most cases, as knee-jerk reactions are often incorrect. Your actions are added to the collection of actions and data collected to determine what should be done. You can't expect everything to be perfect in this state and behavior that you think is fun that was changed may not have been a good idea for the long-term stability or health of the game.

It sounds like you aren't really into the challenges of games and you would rather have things granted to the players with less effort. That's fine. The goal of playing games is different for different people. Some people want an escape for a while to just go mind-numb and some people want something they have to think about.

The economy will always be in some sort of flux. It's still brand new. People are figuring out ways to exploit the supply and demand. People aren't sure what they want to commit their money to. Some people are finding it easy to make money. Some are not.

You can attempt to compare SotA to UO all you want but keep in mind: the public saw UO for the first time in a much more complete state. All the first steps and stumbles were taken behind the scenes. At the time UO came out there was very little competition and the MMO market was in it's infancy. There wasn't anything comparable. We've had hundreds of MMOs since there and there have been many lessons learned in online and social game development since then. You are also not the same person you were in 1997. Your expectations have changed and likely your memory isn't crystal clear. Perhaps you aren't remembering all the downtime and patches and all the growing pains that UO had when it launched. That's okay, it's been nineteen years.

7. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

It'd be like getting the tires on a car aligned before the axle is fully seated in place. Of course, one might wonder why you're letting customers test drive a car that doesn't even have the axles on yet and then trying to convince them to splurge on leather seat.

8. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

True, but there would be a big sign every time you drove that said "HEY, THIS CAR ISN'T DONE. YOU'RE DRIVING SOMETHING THAT IS STILL A WORK IN PROGRESS." Some people would complain that it drives funny, others would understand and accept it, and would buy their leather seat.

9. reuge

reuge Avatar

Crag mines was a bit crazy before the buff, every cave filled to the bream with gold and iron nodes, and incredible respawn rates. Every alchemist wet dream. To be honest they got to nerf the respawn rate and ore density. However after r33, I agree with you they over nerf the nodes and overbuff the mobs. With ghost and archers, it just not worth it any more to mine there. Comparing to Elysium for gold or serpents for iron. Crag pale in terms of risk rewards.

Time Lord and NRaas like this.
  10. Nadomir

Nadomir Avatar

It's important to give feedback on the state of the game... how it feels to play, which things are working or not... just don't forget that this game is still in early devellopment. Things will be changing alot. One day everything is fine... the next day the same thing might be broken, because of some tweak in numbers. So dear @Ibad, thank you for your feedback, but don't feel too bad because something doesn't work for you that worked a couple of weeks ago. That's just what will happen alot, now that the game-mechanics are basically working and the devs are tweaking the numbers to find the right one. Changing on thing, so it works in one place might break things somewhere else, where you never had expected it to take effect. That's how it will be for some time now... but with our constructive feedback, we will get to a game, that is truely fun to play.

Vaentorian and Time Lord like this.
  11. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

I wouldn't complain as much if these weren't "Limited edition" leather seats, available for a short time only, and the after market installation facility seems to be in a much better state than the assembly line. Traditionally, games are made available in early release once systems are close enough to their final form that feedback can be meaningful. If you have to keep saying "Thanks for the feedback, but that system is 'still in early development', so sorry", you probably released too early. Maybe you should have pulled a Star Citizen and released systems separately so we don't have dozens of folks wandering through mentioning that combat, despite being released close to 2 years ago, is pretty miserable.

Ibad, Apollyon9515, Budner and 2 others like this.
  12. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Just go down the 3rd level,you just need to kill couple ghosts, one at a time. If you don't loot them, they will not respawn for a very long time.

For those who like to farm longbow, first floor and 2nd floor are now your heaven.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

What do you aspect when you're a crash dummy :D
    [​IMG]
    We gota' road test this jalopy!
    ~Time Lord~:p

Ibad, Mykll and Elfenwahn like this.
  14. Vagabond Sam

Vagabond Sam Avatar

There have been three years for 'The game isn;t finished'. The decision was made to enter persistence and that means there needs to be a balance between breaking everything to start again on balance and maintaining the game state as fun and rewarding.

The first three years they had free reign to rebuild and retest. Now that 'everything matters' time to start off every change discussion with 'Is this fun?' instead of going ham on changes that break the enjoyment of players sticking around.

Ibad, Time Lord and lollie like this.
  15. Elfenwahn

Elfenwahn Avatar

As the game is now persistant the devs have to be very carefull to close areas where you can gain resources or gold at a too high rate, to prevent abundance.
    Because if you got that resources fast and easy they are on the market, they will never get them out of the circle again.
    Thus its wise to start low during Alpha and only slowly increase the rate when you are sure that everything is running smooth.

This is my understanding why everything is currently low (gold and resources). They may increase the rate in future, as soon as everything is in the game and they provided sufficient ways how they can get the stuff removed from the market (e.g. by lottery) again.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I changed the title of the thread... please PM me a title that is more appropriate than your original. Titles should reflect the discussion, not an accusation :).

Mykll and Time Lord like this.
  17. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Well lets look at it from the flip side.

Tamming was so over powered it was being used to basically cheat. People could at lvl 10 take a spider into a lvl 75+ area and get endless exp. Nerf was perfectly needed.

Minning was dropping far to much ore and it wasn't protected so people took their alts in there and farmed freely all day long. I actually think its perfect now, I farmed around 400 more ore on Sunday. Nerf = good

group areas have not been killed. They were tweaked and take a higher lvl group now but people are still doing them fine. This is clearly an are they are working on.

I beta tested UO dude, it was absolutely terrible in beta and on release. It would take me 5 minutes to take a step at times, the economy was terrible (couldn't make any money at all) and news were quitting with in an hour or playing because they were chain ganked or scammed. UO didnt get good until around the 6 month mark. I remember they once screwed up on random regent drops and there was millions of them all over the ground, I was picking them up as fast as I could.

Holding this game up to UO which is 100% functional 2 years before release is crazy.

We all grew up with UO but we clearly are over looking some catasrophic issues it had. I say SOTA's beta is *FAR* better.

18. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

UO also had several advantages to draw on:
    • EAs piggy bank
    • The yard stick for measuring the quality of MMOs was still a work in progress
    • WoW didn't exist

19. Gix

Gix Avatar

Why are people talking like SotA is a finished product? Talks of nerfs and ruined economy; give me a break.

I'm one of the guys who doesn't find SotA fun at the moment but geez...

Bodhbh Dearg and LoneStranger like this.
  20. manufacturedsoul

manufacturedsoul Avatar

I hate to say it but I actual love Crag now. I spend more time in game there than anywhere else. The mobs aren't that hard once you've leveled a bit and I actually prefer a decent fight to break up the monotonous mining. It was a cakewalk before getting ore but also boring as hell. I find now I can make good gold and ore in one fell swoop there which is why I rarely go anywhere else when playing solo. But that's just my opinion.

froji, moko and Bodhbh Dearg like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.