Another possible use for Crowns

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Krytian, Sep 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krytian

Krytian Avatar

I've been thinking about this and feel this may be a good viable use of CoTOs in crafting other then increasing max durability.
    Use CoTOs to increase the change of masterworking and enchanting.
    -This would make masterworking/enchanting to higher levels possible
    -Would stabilize the cost of silver and gold as there would be a way to mitigate the risk of loosing those mats
    -Would give CoTOs another viable use in the game
    This is just an idea
    -something else that MAY be unpopular but remove the ability to restore the durability to items using cotos
    -means that crafting gear will always be in need as eventually armor will break down and new stuff will need to be made

2. reuge

reuge Avatar

ya, like adding 1 coto, increase the chance of exceptional or master works by 1%. But would have to limit the amount of coto that can be put in.

3. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

See, this is the problem I have with this.
    The CotO provide a revenue stream for the game which I completely support, but we're treading a dangerous pay-to-win line with stuff like this.
    It seems that whats happening is that there intentional problems which you can pay money to fix.
    Gathering too slow? Use a Coto! Use two to get more meticiulous as well!
    Gear breaks too fast? Use a Coto!
    Using too many reagents fighting? Use a coto!
    Can't carry enough loot? Use a Coto!
    I'd really hate to see these become a 'required' component in masterworking and enchanting.

Its almost like all those games that make you buy something from the item shop to upgrade your gear....
    Please no.

Elnoth, Bow Vale, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  4. Nadomir

Nadomir Avatar

Comletely removing the Coto's ability to fully repair stuff isn't a good idea. Noone would be using their wearables, they bought for real money anymore if they would eventually be completely broken.
    Adding masterwork or enchanting features via Coto isn't a good idea either. That would mean you would HAVE to invest into Coto (so basically real money in the end) to craft the top-end-stuff. Yes, you could buy cotos in game, but without them you won't be able to craft at the top end... that's basically the pay-2-win-stuff we'd like to avoid in SotA.

5. Krytian

Krytian Avatar

I had not considered the pay to win aspect. i was more considering it as a way to assist crafters. When i proposed the idea i was thinking more along the lines of a small percentage increase to masterworking. This would make it useless to do on the first or second enchant/masterwork but at the third time would increase it from 42% to 45% of success. I was also thinking that it would be limited to 1 coto per attempt so you couldn't stack huge amounts of coto's to get a high chance of success.
    I do have to acknowledge that adding this to the game would add another element of pay to win endorsed by the creators /devs and that would have negative ramifications. IF this is considered they would have to take a deep look at how they do it to ensure that it does create a new overt pay to win element in the game.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Perhaps I'm misreading what you said here, but :

Add-on store and Pledge reward gear does not lose "Max Durability", so you would never need to use COTO on them, ever.​

If you encountered such an item that did lose Max Durability, that is an error and should be reported. :)

coyotemoon and Time Lord like this.
  7. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I'm all for anything that can address the horrible RNG and horrible breakage rates in crafting but its already so prohibitively expensive to craft anything even buying CotO in game is going to make the costs ridiculous.
    I'd rather see levelling up the skills have a bigger effect, or hey, crafting gear. You know, like a blacksmith apron or a chef's hat that could be worn to tweak various things. These could even be craftable themselves and subject to material modifiers.
    Then you could have a crafting 'outfit' with various bonuses rather than using an expensive consumable. Artisans could invest in quality 'artisan' gear to get a bit higher success rate and this would really set apart the serious crafters from the dabblers. ;)

8. Joeble

Joeble Avatar

Yes please to crafting gear, wonderful idea.

9. Nolove 0369

Nolove 0369 Avatar

Great Idea,

Sorry, Removing COTOs from repairing item is the BEST idea I have heard in a long time,
    I Personally BOYCOTT COTOS, and will until they remove them from repairing items. and I love the Cotos for the potions I think there great, but I do with out until I see a change.

This does not mean we cant come up with a great way to repair Max Durability to your LEET and UBER items, I believe and have posted great ways to make Item repair a great skill, and not use COTOs.

Time Lord, Swan and Ravicus Domdred like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.