Brewing: What to Expect and what else we want.

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by ThurisazSheol, Feb 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

Yep. Next pass on cooking, then certain bits will be implemented that will allow brewing to start going in. The moment we see anything about it is the trigger.

2. Lord British

Lord British Lord British SOTA Developer

Loving this thread! Thanks!

Keep in mind that to make some things like lets say Aged Spirits... this is what would likely fit into the crafting system.

Recipe would be for 10 year Whiskey, separate from recipe for 50 year whiskey.
    10 year whisky would "finish" / mature / be ready after 10 game years (20 real weeks).
    50 year whiskey would finish in 100 real weeks *as in 2 real years!)

I do not think either would have different game effects, but it would sure feel special if someone broke open a 50 year old bottle!

3. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

What if a system is created that increases the alcohol potency with aging, so that the older a brew is, the faster it gets you drunk, to a 'hard cap' of "if you drink this more than once in a Novian day, you'll paint the walls with your insides!"

Also, would there be any chance to have an "alcohol tolerance" skill that only increases when you drink, so that you could handle the harder stuff more easily? This could also allow players to consume more health potions than baseline in a given period due to their 'extra hardiness'.

4. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

I'm very interested in specialized brew crafting to get specialized effects. Is this a possibility? In other words, inserting a reagent or a harvested plant/herb into the crafting process.

For instance - adding nightshade has a big failure rate, but if you happen to get a critical success, you create a beer that grants poison resistance. A critical failure would result in a poisonous brew. (or perhaps a poisonous beer would be a critical success ;) )

5. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

or perhaps inserting a chance at a chaotic proc.. with a critical success at brew, it will be a VERY intense/strong proc, but the brewer will not know what will happen, only the consumer will at the time they consume it.

the tolerance bit is already in the OP jack.. i was thinking with every negative effect you experience, that is how you gain in the skill, and that skill reduces the chance you will have more negative effects - going with the current use-based system design that is supposed to make it harder as it gains.

and the first bit, is also in there under the skill options too. :)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  6. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

You spoke to a group of us in Kingsport about this very processing of aging. You also spoke about the combination of different reagents mixed with these beverages such as corpse wax to make a 'zombie ale' -- unclear of what effects it would have, perhaps you could only perform certain emotes while under its influence as a minor visual effect.

Is there to be different crafting stations for brewing vs distillation?

These are rhetorical questions in nature, but the art suggests some direction for the latter question and you have talked in game with some of us about my earlier comment.

7. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Lots of great ideas here!

In consideration of what gives a particular brew its identity... yes the ingredients are important but it's actually the microbes that are doing the fermentation.

Obviously... Novian science isn't aware of microbes.. however there could be implemented something like the "Mother" of vinegars or simply "Culture of X"..

A Master Brewer is able to "extract" the culture from an existing brew. The culture can be traded to other brewers who would like to replicate the brew. This is how we could differentiate between various named brews that all have the same basic ingredients.

Wines... liquors... I say bring it on! However there are fundamentally different procedures to these operations.. (I.e. aging a wine, distilling a liquor) that sound like they should be different skills to me...

EDIT: Oh, and please add hard cider! And maybe non-alcoholic ferments like kvass or kombucha.

EDIT: And also please consider fish sauce.. a deliciously fermented food item so perhaps off-topic but I had to throw it in there. (also sauerkraut, kimchi, you get the idea...) FERMENT EVERYTHING! :D

8. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

9. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

great point here - what do you think about a fork in the skill tree based on type of preferred brew? liquors (whiskeys/rums vs beers/ales vs wines/meads)? that way we could have slightly different skills names associated, and an affinity fork (straight line) that does the abv, aging, and naming tweaks, i think.

i think that may be a grey line here... on one hand that is fantastic, where that extraction is always named as the master brewer placed, but on the other hand, what other signature can that master brewer have, if they give away that particular extract? if i am a master brewer known for my thrice brewed mead, but i give that extract/recipe baseline away, where do i make my place in the economy then? - please note that i'm NOT against what you suggested at all, just looking at it from different angles. :p

10. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Yes!

Hmm... that's a good question that's important to consider. On Earth, there are things like intellectual property laws to govern that sort of thing. But technically speaking, anybody could try to harvest the microbes from a fermented product and use it to make their own replica.

Now.. if the name of the item is tied the Master Brewer, than at least everybody would know where the recipe originated.... hmm not sure will have to ponder...

11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I don't think I'd prefer different recipes for aging.. I'd rather just take my bottles down into the deepest, part of my basement and leave them to age in a special barrel or something that counts in weeks/years how long it's been in there. But once you take it out.. that's it.. or something.

12. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

50 years old aged 2 earth years, I like the idea of things getting better over time...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i'd like to see a minigame pop up for that part, instead of setting a date from the start. make the whole thing a bit more fluid. a lot of distillerys tend to toss a date of putting the batch down. and then have at it from there.

14. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Now especially when it comes to wine.... older is not NECESSARILY better. There are good vintages and bad vintages depending on the weather, what time of year the grapes were harvested, what time of the day the grapes were harvested, etc., etc. Who knows? Maybe astrology plays a part too...

I know I know rabbit hooooooole....... :D

15. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i'm CERTAIN it will, knowing richard lol... and the darkstarr celestial dial thing will help too, as with all crafting, when things are all said and done... gonna add weather and astrology to the tie-in systems in OP. thanks for the reminder!

16. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

that was a direct quote from starrs post about q4 2016 schedule update. specifically starting release 35 they hope to have the recipes in by then.

now is the time to start inundating them with ideas, brewers! email, here on the forums, twitter, facebook, whatever method you have to get this information to them, lets do it!

17. Kona

Kona Avatar

Looking forward to mastering the single malts. Do we know if owning a windmill will benefit the process of preparing the barley and hops for distillation?

18. Smurfwizard

Smurfwizard Avatar

How about different types of wine, Resling, Norton, etc

19. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

just updated the OP with both of these fantastic ideas. great! keep 'em coming folks.

20. keldonlighthand[BEAR]

keldonlighthand[BEAR] Avatar

I would like to see a little variety in cider. Sweet, dry and fruit ciders and like wine, depending on when you harvest effects the taste.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.