Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Shroud of the Avatar: Reset of the Virtues

Discussion in 'Release 34 Feedback Forum' started by Violation Clauth, Sep 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I have no problem with the change, but that's a pretty strange way to communicate.

docdoom77 likes this.
  2. agra

agra Avatar

And it seems entirely out of character for a pre-alpha / early access game that is in testing. Pretty hard to test the virtue system now with absolutely no way to quantify anything.

docdoom77 and Tydes like this.
  3. Nox Haven

Nox Haven Avatar

I see no purpose to visit the Oracle. I see no purpose to talk to the Oracle. If virtues cannot be perfect or maxed out or were never meant to be seen then what is the point? If there are no benefits to being good or bad why would anyone visit the talking robot face? What purpose does the Oracle actually have?

agra and Winter Dragon like this.
  4. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Well, you get gold for visiting it. That's not a bad reason.

Nox Haven likes this.
  5. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Oracle is a choice for you, and a game feature to set on/off pvp tag and the new gold reward (500g) for daily visit.

Winter Dragon and Nox Haven like this.
  6. Nox Haven

Nox Haven Avatar

Well i certainly hope they are earth days; a free 182K a year for logging in front of that face and clicking on it once and logging out will probably get players to visit more often.

7. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Missed to mention earth dailies :D

Nox Haven likes this.
  8. Nox Haven

Nox Haven Avatar

I can see this getting abused. Especially in the future if multiple characters will be allowed for 1 account. The Oracle will be like a spare avatar characters parking lot.

9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Please do this soon.

10. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

But how am I going to know if stealing carrots is dishonest?

11. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

What confuses people with that is the fact that right and wrong is so subjective. Doing what we feel is right doesn't always match up with what the game has assigned as being the right thing to do. To adhere to somebody elses opinion on right and wrong we need at least a loose guide. When you think you have been playing a shining avatar of truth and then it turns out that taking all those cabbages that belonged to the bandits that tried to kill you was bad... /tableflip :D

12. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

NPCs call you a wascally wabbit. (Failing that, the fact you're picking up something labeled (owned) in the tooltip, once that is added.)

Albus, Jaanelle DeJure and Acred like this.
  13. Lum the Mad

- (game mechanic) Way to toggle open PvP status
    - (game mechanic) Management of item looting in PvP
    - (game mechanic) Daily virtue testing for 5oo gold
    - (story) Background on other characters and concepts in the game (this is seriously in need of updating)
    - (story) Commentary on your own actions in the game (this is also in need of updating)
    - (story) Major character in the final chapters of the game story (this has not yet been implemented)
    - (game mechanic) Creates really bothersome mechanical insects that slow you down when running places

Tahru, Albus, Wilfred and 8 others like this.
  14. MIdnightvalkyrie

MIdnightvalkyrie Avatar

If I kick open a crate to see what's inside, does that in itself impact my virtue? Or does that only happen if I decide to steal the contents? (I'm really only looking for ginger roots so most of the time I don't actually steal anything).

15. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Made my day, lol.

Hornpipe, Ronan and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  16. Lum the Mad

It was primarily used through a third-party log parser, and we didn't want to break it, but at the same time note that the values were no longer being shown. "0" might indicate a bug. "-1" is pretty obviously intentional.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  17. Lum the Mad

I'll have to run that by Richard, we're actively working on that. Right now you do get a virtue hit for opening owned containers and I do have a JIRA for making it only hit virtue if you TAKE something instead of LOOK, but not sure if kicking open a box and making a loud noise counts as "just looking"

18. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

The vandal knows the crate isn't theirs, but smashes it looking for something to take that also isn't theirs.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  19. Lum the Mad

Well
    a) it's not completed; there are many things that ding/reward virtue that haven't been implemented yet. We're *actively* working on this - Richard and I just today discussed how virtues should be rewarded in the main Path of Virtue quests. Obviously you should get some but at the same time it shouldn't just be "Yay! You followed the main story quest! Have some love virtue!" but instead choices should be added that reflect on how the scores are rewarded. In general the Path quests are way too linear and simple right now anyway (we are aware of this believe me) and this will help drive that.

b) there's no consequences yet for virtue scores, mainly because of a)

c) When we do a quest flag reset, we are considering doing a virtue reset at that time as well. Possibly with a way to opt out, possibly with "legacy titles" depending on your state, but in general we like the idea of a fresh start for the story content once we finally say "OK, it's in a shape we consider Done For Now" (it'll never be FINISHED but it needs to be in a playable and fun state). That's very much up in the air though.

Albus, Wilfred, NRaas and 8 others like this.
  20. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

If we visit her enough times he could command her mechanical insects to leave us walk freely instead of tackling us! that would be useful :D

I wholeheartedly agree with hiding virtue stats. Being virtuous or not should be a result, not an objective. Even when you can claim there's some subjectivity in evaluating human behavior from a moral standpoint i believe in the team experience for doing such things. If you strive for virtue, just be a good guy; trying to know the things that make you a good guy so you can take advantage from the ones that doesn't or start considering virtue loss another factor in risk vs reward is unvirtuous by itself.

About subjectivity, it's also worth noticing that we're being judged by an almost allmighty entity that was programmed for doing so. So her subjectivity is current objectivity. Just food for thought.

What if the box attacked me first? :rolleyes:

Fister Magee, Vyrin and Sir Frank like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.