1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Release 33 Lot Deed Raffle Winners

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Berek, Sep 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prince Guni

Prince Guni Avatar

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a reseller. But selling a product to resellers for less than 10% the price in the add-on store is just braindead, hurts the market and insults everyone who paid the full price in the add-on store.

If they would at least have posted in time how few tickets they sold, then more players (and resellers) would have joined the raffle, more gold would have been drained and the price gap would have narrowed. But lot deeds effectively getting infused into the market/economy at 1/10th the normal cost is highly damaging.

Melissa, Budner and E n v y like this.
  2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

LMAO!

3. Resolute

Resolute Avatar

Congrats to all the new tax payers.

And for those that now have deeds but don't want to use them themselves, hopefully you find people willing to buy them.

Lord Baldrith and moko like this.
  4. LiquidSky

LiquidSky Avatar

Not sure yet what to do with mine. I bought one of each ticket and won a village POT deed. 15k gold was nothing for me to spend, but I haven't had any urge to actually have a house. Not sure what they are good for.

I will probably do this every lottery....buy one of each ticket.

Elwyn likes this.
  5. Muddern

Muddern Avatar

Hello and Grats to all the winners!
    We, (my GF and me) got 1 anywhere and 5 Pot tickets, won nothing sadly. Especially my GF is sad because she's really excited about the Housing system but we couldn't get a hand on a deed so far (Prices, Yikes!) as we only started a week ago ca. Well, maybe we got more luck in the next Lottery.

Melissa and firesparx like this.
  6. Vulgaren

Vulgaren Avatar

Congratulations to all.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  7. moko

moko Avatar

Well, there was a dev post stating the odds of winning a deed a few days before the raffle drawing, which, I think, lead to a drastic increase in raffle tickets sold, so you could have totally done the math how many tickets had been sold at that point.

I think the only persons receiving potential "damage" from the raffle have been those speculating on RMT with lot deeds, buying "rare" goods and planning to sell them for a profit. The "normal" customer, buying one or two deeds for his own use and pleasure on the add-on-store had the advantage to be able to get a better spot since he had his deed earlier. Also, with resellers buying up limited stock of things, like what happened with the lot deeds during the telethons, the "normal" customer is probably glad to have a chance at owning a deed.

While I think RMT and resellers useful and have done my fair share of trades with them I do not think Portalarium is entitled to endorse the profit making mentality and behaviour, after all, this is a game and not a stock exchange. As with all speculation where there is potential reward there is also risk.

Furthermore, I do not think the raffle is continuing with this amount of deeds for all eternity as Portalarium has always stated they wouldn't sell more deeds than there were lands as to enable everyone who owned one to get a spot somewhere.

I am glad for all the POT deeds going out since POTs mostly feel like ghost towns still, I hope this will change now. After all, only with a lively and functioning community can this game be a success :)

Congrats to all the winners!

8. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I don't think that rule applies to the raffle. The pledge deeds and add-on store deeds sold prior to persistence came with an expectation of placement... but that time has passed. Going forward, this raffle is the only way for players to officially get a place anywhere deed. My thinking is that if land is available because deeds haven't been placed, then more deeds should be raffled - and should continue that way until all the lots are claimed in game.

9. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Portalarium is only releasing 30% more lots than were originally sold in Kickstarter packages. The math is somewhere. Im sure they are keeping a close eye on this.

Basically, add up all the lots of ancestor+ packages, then add 30%.

Im assuming the 30% includes Kobold and Viking packages, add-on deeds, and raffle deeds.

That was the promise made to early backers to assure their lots would stay limited. I have great faith in Portalarium that they hold true to their word. When they say something, it is as good as gold.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    Atmosfear, Melissa, MrBlight and 3 others like this.
  10. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I think that promise only pertained to the landrush.

11. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Hmm. Thats weird because limited land was a huge selling point in the beginning. It was special. I'm too lazy(don't care enough) to go find where/when they said it.

12. Selene

Selene Avatar

Incorrect. The devs have said that anyone with a "place anywhere" deed will NEVER be forced to live in a POT. So even a year from now, they will not sell more deeds for NPC towns than there is space.

If/when there are more NPC towns (episode 2 and beyond), there will be more place anywhere deeds than the promised 30%

Womby, Melissa, Elwyn and 1 other person like this.
  13. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

There's around 4000 or more place anywhere lots still unclaimed and tens of thousands of POT lots unclaimed... limited land is the last thing anyone needs to be worried about :)

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  14. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Ok. Im just posting what they said. For people who are concerned about their pledges losing value. I could really care less as I sold out over 6 months ago.

Edit: I own 1 POT deed for myself.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    Melissa, Ravicus Domdred and E n v y like this.
  15. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Reminds me of the whole 'We will never oversell deeds'. But they did oversell PoTs that has enabled them to oversell deeds when it come down to the playerbase. Oh and at the same time shafting any player who bought a deed from the addon store.

16. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Well, they did have the foresight to know that selling too many POTs would make the density of the player base too low and ruin the game. So they capped them when it was getting out of control.

17. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I don't think you fully get the difference between Place-Anywhere deeds, and POT-Only deeds. There were only 75 new PAD deeds in this raffle. So what if Port had them for the same price in the store, the POT-only deeds in the store were simply to replace the limited supply of regular deeds that had run out, so people who couldn't wait would have something.

Nah, maybe just the ones who saw it as an opportunity to make real-world money from re-selling stuff. There will be no game to profit off of if nobody wants to play it because it's too expensive to get even a POT-only lot deed.

What? The raffle just happened, and it's already a disaster?!?!?!!!! Well, that's it, folks, it's official, we might as well delete our clients and just play WoW.

No, the real disaster is not a game that re-sellers can't make a quick profit from, it's a game that nobody wants to play because the re-sellers have cornered all the fun and are selling it one piece at a time via cash-out codes on web sites. It should be neither, but it should be a lot closer to the former. If you just wait a few months longer (b-b-b-but three years!) there will hopefully be actual population in the game.

Hornpipe, Womby and cartodude like this.
  18. Brickbat

Brickbat Avatar

The raffle was not a disaster - don't worry if you think it was because the "Everyone gets a Free pony" version is now here and the un-landed can get free tickets and the much lower odds of winning by buying tickets will curtail their purchase. Therefore, the gold sink aspect will likely disappear. That means more gold in the market to buy your goods off your overflowing vendors, more gold in the market to drive prices up, and more gold in the pocket to pay taxes on the Taxable Land placed.

As a large backer, I have not always been happy with the direction they have chosen to go. But, I still play the game, I still love, love, love the game, I still have friends in the community and guildmates in EVL that I enjoy gaming and B.S.-ing with. Do I get frustrated at the efforts to nerf the top level performers...who work very, very hard to get to their level? Yes, because the nature of nerfs is that they hurt the other portion of players that aren't soaring with the eagles yet.

Raffling Anywhere (Taxable) Deeds is fundamentally different prospect because it is fundamentally different product than your Tax Free Pledge Deed or your Tax Free Bundle Deed. It is still a long road to "official launch" so Portalarium have chosen to control the release of the 30% Anywhere (Taxable) above pledge limit batch they promised to do, because if they hadn't those 30% Anywhere (Taxable) deeds would have already been sold in game by NPC vendors in these short two months and no one that isn't playing now or starts later could get them without resale.

Raffling POT Only (Taxable) Deeds is fundamentally different prospect because it is fundamentally different product than your Tax Free Pledge Deed or your Tax Free Bundle Deed - how they choose to make those available is completely their decision. These deeds act as a constant gold sink or require purchase and application of COTOs which provides needed $$ to the game. Recognizing the demand for this they have additionally made them available in the Portalarium Add On Store and there is a secondary market as well - see Forum Marketplace.

Personally: I would love to see the POT Only (Taxable) Deeds Raffle end and those deeds available in game for a set gold price (make it high, that's fine = the official exchange rate of 3500 Gold for 1 COTO is a solid way to price in gold these products) so that the un-landed players can work hard and purchase the deed they want from the NPC merchant OR if they desire purchase a deed on the private resale market or from Portalarium in the Add On Store. For some reason they feel they need to limit this fundamentally different product and not trust the POT Owners to upgrade their towns and add space as the demand for land grows.

I do see the availability of land ownership as the single most important issue for new players that have to choose if they will stick around for E2.

V/R Brickbat
    Every Virtue is Lasting
    Proprietor of The Brickport Family of Towns

19. Prince Guni

Prince Guni Avatar

Selling something for high dollar amounts to some players and then suddenly making it available for a fraction of the cost to others is never ethical, no matter how you try to put it.

And these kind of things will very much damage the reputation and future of any brand or product, including an online game like SotA. This then not only impacts those players and backers whose store purchases got devalued, but the whole player base and in the end also Portalarium itself.

Firecorpse and David Thompson like this.
  20. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

I have to totally disagree, I'm fine with it. Please remember that there are a number of folks with the same credentials, who believe it to be just fine and actually for the betterment of the game. Read the topics screaming about how much they have to pay in taxes, then revisit the value of a tax free lot.

IMHO, of course

Gaelis, Elwyn and cartodude like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.