How to improve Virtue of Courage?

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by Kara Brae, Oct 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Is there a beginner quest that one can do to influence one's standing regarding the Virtue of Courage? Even if I die a thousand times fighting mobs more powerful than I am, it seems to have no influence. The Oracle tells me I haven't done anything of mention. If I kill a rotten faun that is attacking me, however, she takes notice and it counts against my courage.

Cally and Acred like this.
  2. Selene

Selene Avatar

Killing Satyrs raises courage.

Acred and Kara Brae like this.
  3. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Is there a Satyr that a new player can kill? I ask because new players need the gold the Oracle can give, but if the Oracle determines that you have done nothing regarding the virtues, she won't let you take the test.

Acred likes this.
  4. Selene

Selene Avatar

Hmmn.. there are some in Mariah Overlook that are low level. I do not know how much courage they give though... and now with those stats hidden, it is impossible to tell. :(

Acred likes this.
  5. Matt Harris

Matt Harris Avatar

I believe the south Paladis quests on questsoftheavatar.com (Link) are courage related. I know that I was getting that message until I did a couple. Not sure which ones I did - SOTA is being difficult today.

Cally and Acred like this.
  6. Grimbone

Grimbone Avatar

You can also pvp and give the player you kill their items back and the Oracle will acknowledge it.

Cally, Numa and Acred like this.
  7. rild

rild Avatar

It broke my heart when I tried to free a band of Fauns in Tenebris Harbor, but the poor creatures were so overcome by madness or fear that they continued to hex me with confusion spells that left me stumbling like a three-day drunk! I am seeking a way to show them my compassion, to lead them from their life of misery. Perhaps they will will find their way to Jaanaford on their own. For now, I must find the Courage to be patient, and sacrifice my own desire for satisfaction. Some things we cannot change . . . yet.

Still, I have spoken with the Oracle, and I assure you she is watching. Always watching, and she knows what cruel slavers these Satyrs are. I fear that those brutes understand only the sword, but for the little ones I believe there is still hope.
    _ _ _ _ _

I'd like to see (and I suspect we will) further depth in the Satyr / Faun relationship. Note that Fauns, while MUCH more difficult to kill than the Satyrs, do not actually use any damage-inducing magic. It is possible to kill the Satyrs and leave the Fauns alive. It's not easy though.. this takes real Courage.

Harkening back to Ultima, Courage is one of the Principles whose permutations form the Virtues. Pure Courage without other influences is expressed as Valor. Making a sacrifice is using one's Courage to perform an act of Love. Using Courage to hold to the Truth when there are other options, that is seen as Honor.

In the past we discussed non-lethal combat options - I would very much like to see these implemented if possible, mostly for RP purposes, but also to allow for more varied quest lines. If we Outlanders are to convince the denizens of New Britannia that we are the Avatars of legend, and that we are not to be feared, we must have some option other than "Might Makes Right".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.