How many non lot owners won a lot?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jace3, Sep 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

The funny thing with that, is then okay they scrap raffle idea and stick up POT deeds for sale.. for what? It has to be high enough that no one is going to mass purchase them ( Becuase they are limited and groups/individuals can corner the market ) Yet low enough people can farm to that level? Then your right back at that problem of * rich own everything * with no risk on their part.
    Raffle adds a random factor. Rich stand to loose a LOT. Meanwhile the stuff is still for sale from players for in game gold quite often on the market.

I think that being able to blatently purchase it with gold would cause significantly more harm then letting it play out with players selling and a random raffle giving everyone a chance.
    Lets say the deeds went up for sale for 200-250k? That list of purchases would be a pretty small list for this first month. Yet a TON of individuals won on this first raffle, and next one will be the same if not more individuals (with the free tickets).

So i see it as, you can definitly earn them in game. I could have bought a lot outright, yet i chose to gamble and it payed off. And currently, anyone willing to devote a solid week to playing, should be in a position to buy out at least a starter lot for gold from people ( and yes they are up for sale and will be for quite a while) .

Acred, Bom and Time Lord like this.
  2. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Do not see a problem with this. They can sell POT deeds forever. They just need to streamline selling POT's and improve the ability for players to find places in POT's. Its a win/win for everyone except those that want to artificially raise the cash value on them.

Elwyn and Time Lord like this.
  3. Josh Randall

Josh Randall Avatar

Um, this isn't life it's a game - you're not earning anything - in fact, you're actually wasting your real life away sitting here with this game.

But, I guess someone winning 79 lots is perfectly balancing and fair to those without... Yeah, got your number!

Myrcello and Time Lord like this.
  4. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I did just that, from R20 to R22 when I was new, and ended up with enough money by the end to buy a Town deed from the NPC vendor two weeks before wipe. (Yeah, it was only like 200K, but I have seen a Founder (village?) deed being sold for 1.5M so even now buying property with a good chunk of gold is possible.) Basically you keep your stuff in a bank near a crafting area. It was a pain in the ass when I forgot something like fuels or scraps, but still very doable.

Deco is just playing-house stuff, you can live without that. Housing-wise, I just use one row house with a vendor and a couple of containers on it, and to have a location across from a full set of expert tables.

Vrunk Hrrk and Time Lord like this.
  5. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Agian. That was a guild purchase. As in numerous people went in on it. ( hense my example of 50 people pooling on one)
    1 person did NOT win 79 lots. One group did. See the thread about * how to squander 3 million gold *.

Even the guy who won 18 was it? Was numerous people pooling.
    So the * 1 person winning all* argument has no backing.
    Their whole guild pooled and used the screen shot as an intimidation post ( buying 600 tix at once) and it worked. It wssnt 1 person lol.
    No dif then it being spread amongst 40 people from that guild, they just decided to pool.

Vrunk Hrrk and Time Lord like this.
  6. Senjut

Senjut Avatar

I bought 8 POT tickets, with $40k of in game gold collected over a couple weeks of farming/adventuring. I won 1 village lot. I did not previously own any property.

Acred, Time Lord, Bom and 2 others like this.
  7. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

I have to disagree that this is a waste of time. Having a hobby is a healthy way to foster a balanced mind and soul in life.

As well, I believe that earning one's way in a virtual world allows for better development of one's character and adds a necessary richness to the character's story. My characers' stories in UO, with respect to how they acquired their houses, was a pretty fulfilling experience. I adventured and saved and scouted for two full years before I owned even the smallest piece of Britannia (right next to Hythloth, of all places...), and at times it was anxious, or even frustrating, but once I had my first house it was so utterly worth it. My character in New Britannia is going to have ample time to develop a good backstory by the time the game finally launches.

I had the real life version of that over the last year, Ive been living nearly broke in one of the most expensive neighborhoods in the world. My new hobby (SotA!) had me more interested than pretty much anything else I was doing at the time. I dont once think about the other crap I could be doing with my little budget surplus, all the pixels Ive bought for Shroud are fun as hell to me.

Supporting this open development model is very important to me as well. As a rather seasoned member of the industry, its important to me at a deep philosophical level that the rest of the software industry at large take note of the success, let alone the general idea, behind how Portalarium is working directly with its community to develop this game. So its more than some pixels to me, its part of a new wave of ideas in how businesses and engineering methodologies come together to produce software products. Naturally I hope the game industry begins to normalize this model as well.

I thoroughly enjoyed testing a completely different build every pre-wipe release, and picking a different random house to live in, every 3 months. I thoroughly enjoy persistence. Im only typing all this as I am waiting for today's patch to finish downloading and installing ;).

Can't say a moment of any of the above was a waste of my life. It was all pretty cool actually.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    Acred, Senjut, Time Lord and 4 others like this.
  8. Pepsy

Pepsy Avatar

I got a row lot, and I was homeless before. 15 coto's added to my rent fund 3500 x 15 / 500 = 105 days rent covered.

Acred, Time Lord, Bom and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.