Macbook Pro Performance

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software, Tech' started by icyplains, Sep 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. icyplains

icyplains Avatar

Hey guys, I just bought SotA but I'm having major performance issues. I'm running a Mac and meet the minimum requirements (graphics card is questionable).

Macbook Pro (13" Early 2011)
    2.3 GHz Intel Core i5
    Intel HD Graphics 3000 512MB
    El Capitan 10.11.6
    16 GB RAM
    SSD drive

I was able to get through part of the tutorial with all of the graphics settings at the minimum and unchecked. I have also tried both full screen and windowed. But I am unable to load the next part where it appears there is a burning town of some sort. My cpu is being hammered and it finally times out. Here is a video showing what happens:

Am I SOL or is there something else I can do? I'm an old UO player from back in the day and want to play this so bad!

smack and Shira Saya like this.
  2. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

I try to run on a 2015 MBP with discrete graphics 512 SSD. Very poor performance. Not just Shroud, but nearly every game. MBP and gaming is bad idea. The high resolution causes low FPS.

smack, Tahru and Shira Saya like this.
  3. Rip Saya

Rip Saya Avatar

It's ironic that Apple makes such a great high end laptop and yet they refuse to use a good video card even with the great display. Mac used to be known as the artists' machine, not anymore. For that price, they should have a better card in it.

smack, Olthadir and Tahru like this.
  4. Concord

Concord Avatar

FWIW, graphical performance for the Mac build of the game took a major step backward from R33 to yesterday's R34 -- already logged an acknowledged concern about this.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    DorothyOz, Olthadir and Tahru like this.
  5. icyplains

icyplains Avatar

Thanks guys. @Concord - good to know!

Concord likes this.
  6. icyplains

icyplains Avatar

I have a small update. I used BootCamp and installed Windows 10 on my Macbook. I was able to play the game - sort of. My FPS was super low (I'll figure out how to turn it on), but I could at least do stuff. I got past the tutorial and into the first town. So, I can confirm that the Mac version needs some work :D

Concord likes this.
  7. fonsvitae

fonsvitae Avatar

Hail, @icyplains ... I don't know if this will help you but maybe it will... it is an instruction on how to open a game or app in low resolution mode on your Mac.. I am fortunate and do not have to do this so far, but maybe this will help you...

When you do this on SotA, make sure you don't do it just on the launcher: use right click to open menu on launcher and choose "show contents"; from there, use right click to open menu on the actual SotA app and choose the low resolution option.

I am not very learned in computers, but the little I learn is what I know and pass on. The above is for Mac's w/ retina displays; I am not sure if your Mac will have this option but I pass the advice along just in case it does... good luck

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/0...n-low-resolution-mode-on-retina-display-macs/

8. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I Pledged back during the KickStarter in part due to a Mac version will be available. The other part because it was Lord British! I gave up a year ago on the Mac support and bought a Windows laptop just to play SotA and Star Wars Battlefront.

Scanphor likes this.
  9. meadmoon

meadmoon Avatar

How about we not make this an Apple-bashing tread, which is what this will devolve into.

SotA appears to be poorly optimized at this point. I have a 2014 Pro and many games (ESO, GW2) run really well. Other Unity games run well too, such as 7 Days to Die. I would think they will improve Mac performance as we move toward release.

10. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

There is no Mac bashing please don't trivialize my experience. I have several MBP including the late 2015 15.4 with i7 and discrete Nvidia GPU. No modern games run great on the machine. The retina 2880x1800 is just too many pixels for the MBP to push in 3D gaming. Even desktop GPUs struggle to keep 60fps at higher resolutions.

I get less than 30fps on most modern gaming with my high end MBP. While playable I don't recommend it as the main gaming machine. The MBP also suffers from excessive heat. The case literally becomes too hot, at certain locations, to touch.

OPs Mac with integrated graphics will never be capable of running 3D modern games at acceptable FPS. No amount of optimization can change hardware limitations of such an extreme.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    Insinious FizzleThorpe and Lesni like this.
  11. meadmoon

meadmoon Avatar

No one is "trivializing" your experience. Calm down.

Why would you bother running at 2880x1800? That completely defeats the purpose of the 4 pixels = 1 pixel of the retina display. To take advantage of the clarity of Retina, you run at the native 1440x900. SotA is BEAUTIFUL at that resolution, even at lower settings. Anything scaled up looks just as crappy as any PC screen. I don't know why people can't get this. Explanations have been plastered all over the Web for quite some time now about how Retina works.

I have a 2014 Pro and get 50-55 FPS IN ESO, somewhere hovering around 40 in GW2, and between 30-35 in SotA. It has an nVidia 750M.

I can play it on my Air with integrated graphics and get 20-25 on the lowest settings which is tolerable. Great when I'm traveling and don't want to carry a heavier machine

I play it on my Windows laptop and it gets great performance obviously, but once you go Retina, it's hard to go back to crap. Personally I can no longer stomach a non-Retina display.

@icyplains Be patient until the game is streamlined for better performance. You are NOT SOL. You'll never get 60 FPS, but you'll be able to play just fine. Enjoy your Mac. :)

EDIT: One more thing icy. With the 3000 and 16G RAM, your Mac should be allocating 1536MB to graphics. Check it.

Also. SMC Fan Control to keep it cool. Free and open source.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    Finious Fingers likes this.
  12. One Zero

One Zero Avatar

I have been playing on a Mac Book Pro since the early releases with video quality setting on "Fastest". Have had no problems running the game.

OS X El Capitan. 10.11.16
    2.8 GHz Intel Core I7
    Mac Book Pro Retina 13 inch Late 2013
    16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Intel Iris 1536 MB

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
    meadmoon likes this.
  13. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

I have a MBP 13inch 2012 2.9ghz i7. 16 gig ram and intel HD Graphics 4000 w/1536 mb and no retina display. I run in fastest settings and other than a few network congestion drops and odd screen artifacts due to optimization it runs fine. My weirdest problem is getting the click timing right because it take longer to recognize I have clicked on something. Usually means I drag out of inventory the wrong item or have to triple click a recipe. At release I expect all these problems to be resolved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.