Sneaked in Patch: lower skill gain per click

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 2112Starman, Oct 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zader

Zader Avatar

Will this only kick in if I don't play/use the skills daily?

2. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

Good, I'm glad it was just a forgotten addition to the patch notes and not something you were trying to sneak in. There have been a few rather significant changes in the past that also didn't make it in the patch notes that have worried me. I'm not exactly a fan of undocumented changes that change the mechanics of gameplay. Such as the increase to the reagent use chance of Air spells. I never saw any patch notes indicating that change in R33, so it took me by surprise when I realized I was suddenly blowing through about 50% more reagents than before.

I'm still not sure the rate change to crafting skills was a good thing though. Sure, you can now build up more of a crafting XP pool, but the issue is you end up going through significantly more materials to level your crafting skills. This is particularly expensive when it comes to masterworking and enchanting which already level very slowly due to the rate at which one can gather gold and silver.

Aldo likes this.
  3. mass

mass Avatar

Are you going to remove 3/4 the applied xp from skills that was applied up until r34 and put it back into the pools for the sake of balance? ;)

(I know the answer is 'no', but would like to highlight the tremendous advantage this gave to players that accumulated and applied their xp with the erroneous 4x multiplier, in terms of materials spent and maximum skill levels achieved. I will now gain 25% of the same advancement if I spend the same total hours as those players).

4. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

I'm fine with losing XP on death if its my fault. I get wrecked by a dragon, that's on me.

I'm not as keen on losing XP to lag death, clipping issues, and bad mesh.

There will never be a good time for decay, bringing it in slowly, while improving performance is the way to do it.
    I just dont think the first release after a new Unity version is the proper time.
    We are getting all kinds of funky deaths right now, compounding that with losing XP when we die isn't gonna go over well.
    IMO

FrostII, Lord Woengus and Matt Harris like this.
  5. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Im even more concerned about PvP death. Im not sure how their mechanics work but it is nice to be able to PvP and die over and over again if needed. Even in our leagues, I am guaranteed to die twice. I wont PvP any more if I lose exp.

Oba Evesor and Fister Magee like this.
  6. agra

agra Avatar

Yeah, tremendous advantage is an understatement.
    Given they evidently will never roll back anything nor ban anyone for exploiting, prior to launch (all the AL100's? They're keeping those AL's) the lesson learned here is: exploit early, exploit often. Good times.

Snikorts and FrostII like this.
  7. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

If you can't beat em, join em! According to your logic, there is no risk anyway.

Snikorts likes this.
  8. agra

agra Avatar

At some point, they're going to have to enforce the TOS/EULA. It's just a shame that so many people reaped such massive rewards from cheating for so long, in the meantime. :(

Snikorts and FrostII like this.
  9. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

The thing I like most about you chris is your honesty, everyone of us screws something up not the case for owning up to it. (Thumbs up emote).

Snazz likes this.
  10. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Cheating? Did I miss something all I saw was exp was delivered at 4/10s per tick vrs 1/10 per tick. Hows that cheating?

11. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

What cheating/exploiting? If you're talking about solo farming the CPs for 1 million XP per hour, that's not really cheating/exploiting. It's simply using the environment to break line of sight to your advantage. Using cover to keep yourself from dying while funneling enemy NPCs through areas to damage them is a legit tactic. Especially since they plan to eventually add a full cover system for world geometry.

Edit: It is unfair that those who leveled their skills fast before this change now have a huge advantage over those who didn't though. Especially in crafting skills where you're going to be forced to use 4x more materials than those who already leveled their crafting skills. This is particularly terrible for enchanting and masterworking where you already needed a ton of silver and gold before the change.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  12. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

My point is proven, give us FULL DECAY from the start. Or else we will have to go through this every time you adjust it. @Chris

13. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I don't really mind the change in the long run, but it would have been nice to have had a global announcement that it was going to be changed in X number of days so we could have a skill party.

As it is, those of us who hadn't got around to doing it are at a disadvantage to those who already have. If I knew I had to move my kiester, I would have done so.

Snikorts, agra and Dwalin Bombardin like this.
  14. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Lol yea this isnt gonna happen, u cant do something like what ur suggesting and not have riots every where.

In addition u need to consider people played to the then current style of the game, u cant aply this big of a change and make it retroactive. ;) aint gonna happen.

15. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Oh I never said retroactively! That would be insanity! I want to watch the world burn, but slowly! :)

Snikorts and Govenor Ruin like this.
  16. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Are you speaking about production xp as well as adv xp? If so, is there going to be any further adjustment to enchanting and masterwork? People who learn it now will have to use 4x as much gold/silver as those that already have, and it was already pretty expensive before.

17. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

Technically, you just need to bank 4x the pool to get the same bonus per use

18. mass

mass Avatar

I don't think this would be considered cheating; myself included thought it was simply working as intended. If we had to give back the gains, it would set me pretty far back as well. But I'm not sure it wouldn't be worthwhile. It's sort of like, 'well, you didn't have 12 hours a day to play, so we'll balance you...who cares about those other guys'. Granted, I suspect you are including other issues in your statement beyond this one.

Snikorts and agra like this.
  19. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

not if the caps were also reduced

20. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

It's a flat 0.1% total. Was 0.4%

According to Chris anyways.

There seems to be a minimum value where you only add 50xp though

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.