Patch 489 Mining - Improved drop

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Candor Atlantica, Sep 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Candor Atlantica

Candor Atlantica Avatar

Can we get any official confirmation that mining was intentionally reduced in respect to getting the secondary ores (nickel, tungsten, etc)? Or is there a bug originating with a particular skill or prosperity tool? I see a tremendous reduction in the secondary ores and I've noticed it since I have been GM Meticulous.

Patch 489 Comment near end of thread!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    Leelu and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  2. Candor Atlantica

Candor Atlantica Avatar

I spent one hour mining in Spectral with a Prosperity Pick in Multiplayer mode. I am GM x 4 in Mining ( Mining 103, Swift 100, Survey 100, Meticulous 101). Before I GM'd most of the skills, I could reliably mine in Spectral approximately 160 Iron ore and about 90 to 100 or more ore combined of Tungsten and Nickel. (Usually 50 Tung and 50 Nickel) So I could rely on making enough Tungsten and Nickel to sell to an NPC to make approximately 5000 gp or more an hour. My results tonight:

Granite Block 310
    Iron Ore 199
    Tungsten 28
    Nickel 47

If I sold my Tung and Nick to an NPC at 50gp a piece, my haul would be a grand total of 3750 gp.

I have noticed that Tungsten spawns as loot less than it normally has in the past.

So is Mining working as designed? Or is there some failure/bug ?

I will mine some more tomorrow and post results in friends mode and then post more results without the Prosperity Pick.

3. Schneider DragonFang

Schneider DragonFang Avatar

Wow i never even thought to sell those resources to an npc blacksmith.
    Just sold over 430 each of nickel and tungsten, been hoarding since aug 27th.

4. Candor Atlantica

Candor Atlantica Avatar

Tonight: 1 hour in Spectral Mines with Prosperity Pick in Friends mode -

Granite Block 342
    Iron Ore 211
    Tungsten 34
    Nickel 52

I found a paper that I used to track an hours worth of mining in Spectral in R33 when I wasn't GM in any of the mining.

Iron Ore 165
    Tungsten 48
    Nickel 65

Is it nerfed? or just luck of the draw?
    I will try an hour tonight with regular pick and see what the outcome is.

5. Candor Atlantica

Candor Atlantica Avatar

I just finished 1 hour in Spectral Mines with a regular pickaxe:

Granite Block 336
    Iron Ore 224
    Tungsten 33
    Nickel 47

I'm still not able to attain the numbers I was getting for Nickel and Tungsten in R33 without GM skills, which leads me to conclude that the drop rate was reduced, or there is something wrong with the percentage drop with GM Skills. I really wish I knew the answer.

6. Candor Atlantica

Candor Atlantica Avatar

So I heard patch 485 would fix/balance mining. I then ran off to test 1 hour in Spectral again with Prosperity Pick.

Granite 316
    Iron Ore 215
    Tungsten 23
    Nickel 49

Holy Chit!!!!!!!!!!!!! It got worse!!!!!!!!!!!

Just before the fix, I did notice I only mined about 150 Iron Ore today and averaged 85 ore of Tungsten/Nickel. Which I was extremely happy I got compared to what I just got now. LOL.

So I guess the fix was for bringing up Iron Ore again? By the way, now the nodes don't disappear when I mine them. I have to aim my pointer at the node and double tap E to make them disappear.

7. agra

agra Avatar

More undocumented nerfs. Gotta love it.

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Spinok like this.
  8. Nadomir

Nadomir Avatar

Erm... what's the big deal? There will be more changes and tweaks to mining and many many other aspects of the game comming. Yes, there might have been changes, but I don't see any gamebreaking issue here at the moment.

9. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

I noticed that MC was nerfed too, really the best which I had for last two days was x6(only one time), and overall MC multiply become more rare :mad:

10. Candor Atlantica

Candor Atlantica Avatar

Patch 489 - Mining in Spectral Mines for 1 hour (Mining 107, Survey 100, Meticulous, 101, Swift 101

Granite 322
    Iron Ore 215
    Tungsten 42
    Nickel 52

11. Birne Gilmore

Birne Gilmore Avatar

Well, as long as people get so much tungsten and nickel that selling it to a merchant is a good option only shows that we get to much. If people pay you way more then the merchent because they NEED more of it for their crafting needs we would hit a good level. For now, this nerf (if it really happened) is a good thing.

And before voices are raised against my opinion: I'm a miner myself and still feel that it's way to much we get down there (ever tried to get 42 suets or beatle carapaces in the same time? ^^)

12. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

I dont hink you can cry nerf when the drop rates of the "rare" ores were about 2:1, 6-8k per hour worth of rare ores at npc value was too high a rate compared to other rare drop rates.

13. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

Also Candor as others have pointed out atm the way Meticulous works you get no chance of a rare drop from an MC so higher MC = less different nodes mined per hour = less rares / hour. @Candor of Atlantic

14. Candor Atlantica

Candor Atlantica Avatar

Well, i think around 4000 gold from sales is a decent thing when selling the Nickel/Tungsten, since I would combat farm the halberds at Serpent Spine and would average around the same thing. I do note that the Iron could bring in some good gold (If I ever made a good sale), thus making the total far exceed what combat brought in. I have 1000 iron ore priced at 30gp each, and it just sits and sits on my vendor. Regardless, I do like the most current drop and appreciated the R33 drops even more, all of it was and is helping me raise store credits for additional purchase so I can expand my town.

As for the original title and my elaboration that a NERF was in play, it was just me trying to gather attention to the post so I could get some official comment on the matter. I just wanted to know if there was a mining bug with meticulous or the drop was purposely designed. The most important thing to remember though, is that this game will have alot of balances/re-balance until the end of it's life. I get it.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  15. Iain

Iain Avatar

What NPC ? I can't find one

16. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Reminds me of boiling frog rationalization. Throw a frog in boiling water and he will frantically try to leap out. Put him in a pan of cold water and heat gently. He will be content and calm till cooked.

Birne Gilmore and Jivalax Azon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.