Procedurally Generated Dungeons

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Bom, Oct 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bom

Bom Avatar

What would be really cool is if there were a few procedurally generated dungeons that would be different every time they were entered.

2. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Whats that line from archer? * Stop! I can only get so erect! *

I fully support that idea.

3. Grimbone

Grimbone Avatar

4. moko

moko Avatar

Yes! I have no clue how hard this would be to implement, but some magic labyrinth that changed every time one entered would be awesome!

5. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

We have tried to suggest procedural content so many times in the past, I can't even remember all the attempts.

Stundorn, Net, LoneStranger and 5 others like this.
  6. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

Guys remember Dungeon Hack?

Or even early Elder Scrolls 'Arena/Daggerfall'

Just takes a set of algorithms. I am scared of how they would integrate with the crazy RNG engine tho..

7. Sator Faryn

Sator Faryn Avatar

Ok. Lets say they added a procedurally generated dungeon. Then I think they should not let you use teleport scrolls or exit to overworld map to escape.
    Remember its a magical place and normal magic of teleporting just doesn't work in procedurally generated dungeon. So to get to this place
    you have to find a special book. When you open it and cast a special spell you get pulled into this other world and it looks like an Ultima 1 dungeon. You are now
    on the lowest level and you have to find your way out. And if you don't find your way out after you run out of food you starve to death and loose all your loot and xp.
    So while you are trying to find your way out your shop has run out of stock, and your friends are wonder what happened to you. Others are looking
    to see if your lot is behind on its taxes. I would be all for this! I will find that book and sell it to people who are behind on their taxes.

Stundorn, Galamar, Raistlyn and 4 others like this.
  8. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

Would be cool if there were random places in the game that sparkled like a resource node (crypts, headstones, sections of forest walls, portals, etc) that led to procedurally generated areas. So you'd be lucky to find them but they wouldn't be in the same place every time.

9. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

This would be so cool.

10. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

11. himmelweiss22

himmelweiss22 Avatar

This is definetly possible with Unity, there are even some assets you can buy for showcase i believe.
    However, Port would have to write their own system i bet.

12. Albus

Albus Avatar

I also like this idea, a fun variant when you want the unexpected. Similarly I'd like to see "wandering" monsters in scenes, that are not always the same every time to keep us on our toes and make the scenes seem a little less static and predictable.

13. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I would have loved this idea......before skill decay.
    Skill decay discourages me to try anything challenging or difficult where death may wait around the next corner.
    Otherwise, this would be super fun.

14. Mitara

Mitara Avatar

Technically it isnt all that hard to create. The biggest challenge probably is to make the graphics for it.

I also believe that having unpredictable mobs in such a dungeon, in like different levels and perhaps even different magic abilities, would add to the joy and excitement of visiting such a dungeon. Again not difficult to make, just probably not the highest priority right now.

15. Bom

Bom Avatar

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  16. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

One can hope.

*sigh*

17. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

aw sorry, i posted that in dev+ for some reason >.< it said this...

This is a concept/idea for a feature that is one of my "dream come true" features for games. It is not an overly new concept and is basically a traditional rogue-like dungeon crawl. The idea being that you enter the Chaos Well and descend into the underworld deeper and deeper though a series of chambers in a similar manor to the compendium of pain and suffering... with the stairs down unlocking upon completion of each room. Each time you descend you are faced with a more difficult challenge in one of a number of possible rooms. On its first pass of creation it could just have 10 levels with 3 different possible rooms per level and over time more and more rooms and levels could be added until it is a completely epic game within a game with a different series of challenges every time you set foot inside.

In addition to combat challenges the well could contain puzzle rooms, treasure hoards, NPC vendors, gathering nodes.. pretty much anything. It would be up to the party/player when to choose to exit the well or risk losing everything to continue deeper. Imagine this as something with 100 levels deep with dozens of possible rooms for each level ranging from encounters with a dozen slimes to an angry Balrog and his minions.

The entrance could be a clockpunk/steampunk/teslapunk portal... and could exist in multiple locations. This could allow it to exist in NPC towns like Owlshead and also be sold as an addon for player owned towns. Am i alone in wanting something like this?

18. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Absolutely not.

19. Armeleon Vesaz

Armeleon Vesaz Avatar

I would love to see something combining a Chillbain's type challenge dungeon and procedural generation of at least the monsters if not the whole dungeon. But ofc theres a whole lot of balancing to be done before they could consider something like this. And I'm sure it'd be a big effort development-wise so I would be extremely surprised to see this in Episode 1.

20. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

The chilblain type of dungeon would be the most feasible. Maybe we can start with randomly generated mobs first?

Alexander, Themo Lock and Bom like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.