Pros and cons of SOTA.....A constructive discussion.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by blaquerogue, Oct 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Its been awhile since i have lasted posted, so im starting this discussion on a good note with Prs first (well get to the cons later)

Pros.........

The graphics are nice.
    Its definitely a "facebook" type of thing more so than a game, people can gather and chat, partys happen if your into RP then its all good for you.
    The cosmetics are nice elven armor, viking stuff, houses, and all that you can buy in the addon store to decorate etc....
    Definately a crafters paradise (or so they tell me)

Cons.....(here we go!)

Combat is too slow!

The things you fight dont have anything on them worth fighting for, they drop way too low amounts of gold.

The game is not exciting (its quite boring if your not a crafter) very repetitive same things over and over (the only difference is they get harder to kill as they level up. (still dont drop anything worth the fight)

I havent read the book nor do i plan on reading it, so if they are going by the book i wouldnt know or care. (Sorry i dont like the Author, thats a personal opinion i didnt buy the game because of him)

There is too much running all over the place with very little transport areas. ( i understand they want you to experience the world, but it takes to long to travel from one place to the other) I think all of the major NPC cities should have a mode of transport to the other.

PVP is atrocious in all aspects they really need to fix that (weapons and armor stats should be adjusted to what is hitting you better)

Armor need to be adjusted as stated above

Weapons should do damage based on what your using better. (two handed warhammer should crush someone in cloth or leather unless they have some kind of magic armor active, as an example)

Crafting is ridiculous, too many ingredients (if your a crafter you probably love it)

weapons and armor should be worth more based on the time and ingredients it takes to make it as well as the extras on it the +'s and attunements when selling to npc vendors.

I wish there were special weapons or armor dropped by creatures that could only be dropped that are worth something based on its special characteristics!

It takes constant grinding to level (big boring turn off) some of us have jobs and life outside of the game so we cant put forth as much time as others.

Why cant you just put what level we are instead of making us go to logfiles to retrieve it???? (at least i would know if im level 20 i shouldnt try and kill that level 80 guy!)..... heres a small way to fix the sheep killers. there should be a 10 or 20 level gap between players that can attack each other, example a level 70 can attack a level 80, but not a level 20, and a level 20 shouldnt even be able to attack a level 41 - and up. that would reduce the sheep killers, and make a competitive match between 2 people. Plus im sure more people would flag PVP with a safety net like that. (except those that will never PVP and have stated so in many posts i respect that)

Magic should do more damage based on what magic it is compared to what your opponent is wearing.

It seems to me that the devs tend to cater to the higher paying groups of people which would be fine if it was ONLY THEIR game and no one else s, but not all of us can afford to be in that bracket if your going to make a game for all you should listen to all needs and not just certain peoples. Those people in the higher bracket may be financing most of the game, but the lower bracket can destroy it by word of mouth to other would be people that also can help finance it! If you watch any of the post mortems, you will see that most of the people that get thier questions answered or in game adjustments are in the higher paying bracket. (this is an opinion ive had for quite sometime. My opinion)

Loading times into game take forever (based on other games)

Scene loading times also take a fair amount of time.

another one of MY opinions is that the lot rent fees are too high (especially for lower level people)

we are missing a bunch of creatures that could be added (Ettins, Gargoyles, fantasy type creatures) for gods sake open a Monster manual and see other things that could be added as to not make the game so boring! Wolves, Bears, Skeletons, Spiders, Kolbolds, and Bandits is all this game pretty much has on a regular bases and its boring!!

there seems to be alot of cons especially for as long as this game has been in the making!

Please try and be as constructive as you can, and not start a pecking match against one another. respect each others opinions and maybe we can make this game better than it is at the moment.

Canterbury, Leelu, Arc and 9 others like this.
  2. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Good coverage of things that need to be improved. Although, it would be more constructive if you would just break these cons into separate topics and only create new threads for each if they don't already exist.

3. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Why not put it all out there so everyone can comment on it, and say what they think? Too many threads for all those topics, id rather keep them in one post, where people can comment on any of them so we are not constantly moving from one place to the other. When you create many threads things get lost in the mix.

Leelu and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  4. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

It's gonna be too long to convert the ideas into task items. Just look at some of the threads with single topic of discussion, some of them already have over 10 pages. Combine that with folks who don't read all the pages to keep the latest thought train and just jump the gun or go off the weed with different thoughts altogether, then nothing will get done.

Anyway, this is just a suggestion.

Leelu, nonaware and blaquerogue like this.
  5. Hunter Rose

Hunter Rose Avatar

heh. Please post more often. Pretty please.

6. Vaentorian

Vaentorian Localization Team

I agree with Roycestein, an overloaded thread like this is not likely to result in any changes to the game, there will be far too broad discussion on different topics crossing over so no clear usable information for the dev team.

And as with all threads like this, people will disagree on what is a 'pro' or a 'con'...
    I prefer the pace of combat in SotA compared to other games, for me it's more interesting and requires more thought than button mashing. Loot still needs balance but we know that's the case.
    I'm a crafter, I love it, if you don't enjoy crafting in SotA you can buy your gear from someone who does, giving them more purpose. If crafting was based on a handful of simple ingredients and easily done by everyone, it would be boring.
    I have very little time to play and so remain low level, I accept that, I don't think it should be possible for me to play at the level of someone who can invest a few hours every day. If it was trivial to become a super-multi-GM then it would be pretty meaningless and I think the game would very quickly get boring. Might as well start the game with your character already at high level and forget about any sort of differentiation.

You're no doubt aware that many of your gripes are still being worked on, so I don't see those comments as particularly constructive while we're waiting to see what else appears. Those things will improve in due time along with everything else which still needs to be improved, complaining that we don't already have it isn't going to make the process any faster.

Sorry my response came out more negative than I expected. Much as it's important to discuss what we like and don't like about the continuing development of SotA, it just doesn't seem like this thread will actually contribute to that development in a positive way.

Anyway I'll end with another pro (for me/con for others): selective multiplayer. One of my favourite features of this game.

Leelu, 4EverLost, Montaigne and 3 others like this.
  7. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

thats a good idea to restrict pvp to 10 levels off, though. Really good idea.

THE HENDOMAN

Leelu, Montaigne, blaquerogue and 2 others like this.
  8. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

All the listed pros are cons and all the listed cons are pros there i said it

9. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

I disagree with and I don't understand the complaint that combat is too slow. If you have a deck set up right you constantly have something to do, and have to make quick choices as to which ability is the best in certain situations.

Crafting in this game is exceptional and one of it's strongest points at this time.

Loading times may be longer right now because they haven't finished optimizing everything, but not sure.

As far as grinding not sure what you expect, to log in and be maxed out in a few days? Then people would be complaining there is nothing to do. I've been playing for about two weeks casually and can already take some 4 skull areas by myself. Frankly the skill system is great in that you can get up to 40 skill in something relatively quickly. That 40 skill is going to be biggest bang for your buck by far. Everything after that you start to get greatly diminishing returns on skill points spent.

10. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

I disagree. I think combat pace is perfectly fine. Combat could use some better animations for both the player attacks and the creatures however. I'd also like to see creatures have more abilities. For example, why do mages only cast fireball?

This is definitely something they need to improve on. But they need to be careful though. This game is supposed to be a game with a player based economy where crafting makes the best gear. So I think a way to make loot much better would be to have enemy NPCs drop base weapons and armor pieces that have special attributes exclusive to that type of item or armor piece. This would be kind of like the Vile weapons that can drop. You would then be able to have a crafter add additional attributes to this weapon from enchanting and masterworking. These items could even have skill modifiers on them that completely change the mechanics of some skills. The other thing would be exceedingly rare crafting materials used to force specific enchantments or masterworks onto gear which would allow you to skip the RNG of enchanting and masterworking. They would have to be very rare though.

I kind of agree here. Game is a massive grind right now. That's all there really is to do if you're not an RPer.

I disagree here. The purpose of the slower travel time on the map is to create more of a regional economy. Hopefully this will improve over time. It would be nice to have two bind points though, but that might break the whole regional economy goal.

I'm not really a fan of PvP in this game at all. It's essentially just a level check against each other. Personally, I've never really been a fan of PvP in non-active dodging MMOs where attacks also lock on besides SW:TOR. I prefer PvP more like what's in Blade and Soul. Where you have to actively dodge attacks and actually hit your opponent with your weapon rather than relying on RNG and stats to determine if you dodge an attack or not or if you hit your opponent.

I do everything in the game except RPing. I think crafting actually needs more ingredients and final products. Dragons should be able to drop their fangs and scales and bones for example to be used in crafting dragon armor and weapons. Same with other boss creatures. There should be more ingredients, not less.

Agreed, but they shouldn't be worth so much to NPCs so as to make it pointless to attempt to sell it to other players. Items should always sell better to players than to NPCs. Otherwise the economy just falls apart since everyone will just vendor trash all their items.

There should be a full character sheet in game with all of your stats on it. I absolutely hate that Port doesn't want us to have clear access to our stats for "immersion." If someone wants more immersion by not knowing their stats, then they can simply not open up their stats sheet. I'm a numbers guy, so not having easy access to all of my stats in-game is a major disappointment. I hate vague things like "intelligence increases your spell critical chance." Well, by how much? That's very important for me to know.

I disagree here. Devs have almost always answered my questions even before I became Edelman. Send them a direct PM if it's something important. I don't watch the postmortems though.

They definitely do. I've got my whole PC and the game saved on solid state drives. Other games load in a few seconds at most. I'm assuming this is just an optimization and unity related issue.

I think they're fine except for the larger property sizes. I think the price gets way too high for lots such as Town and City. 3500 gold or 1 COTO per day for city is absurd. I find Row and Village lots to be fine though. 500 gold per day or 1 COTO per week is nothing.

This is something I'm sure they'll improve on over further releases.

It's a crowd funded game with a 30 person staff. What do you expect? It's not like this game is raking in tens of millions like Star Citizen did over a relatively short period of time. They can only hire so many people to stay within their limited budget. Other triple A titles are usually in development many years in an advance with the benefit of a huge staff and company funding. Port doesn't have the luxury of that.

Leelu, Snikorts, Mykll and 8 others like this.
  11. Olthadir

Olthadir Avatar

Please no. This is my number one beef with MMOs and combat based games. What I always loved about Ultima is its simplicity and realism. A sword was a sword. There are magic swords, and maybe a special magic sword, but that was it. No weapons with random abilities and buffs than you have to go and kill hundreds of respawning enemies hoping to get that 5% drop from. Please no.

As long as it doesn't get too fantasy like, I don't mind. I'd rather fight common enemies and stumble upon scary big fantasy creatures instead of fighting them all the time. [/quote]

I quite like it. My only concern is the completion of the story so i can explore that and some more lore type things.

12. Hunter Rose

Hunter Rose Avatar

And dear god please no. Some of us really don't like the model of EQ and WoW (actually I despise it now) <- this coming from the gm of Sun from Frostwolf one of the 1st guilds to take down at the time end game content in WoW. I would rather carve my eye sockets out with dull rusty spoons than ever go on a 40 man raid umpteen times managing loot drops for 500 people.

Please no. I'm begging you.

Leelu, Olthadir and blaquerogue like this.
  13. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Combat is too slow!

I disagree, Im happy with it.

The things you fight dont have anything on them worth fighting for, they drop way too low amounts of gold.

I disagree, Im making a *lot* of money farming right now. Its perfect now.

The game is not exciting (its quite boring if your not a crafter) very repetitive same things over and over (the only difference is they get harder to kill as they level up. (still dont drop anything worth the fight)

I disagree, Im not bored at all.

I havent read the book nor do i plan on reading it, so if they are going by the book i wouldnt know or care. (Sorry i dont like the Author, thats a personal opinion i didnt buy the game because of him)

I read the book, its not great.

There is too much running all over the place with very little transport areas. ( i understand they want you to experience the world, but it takes to long to travel from one place to the other) I think all of the major NPC cities should have a mode of transport to the other.

I disagree, I have no issues with the amount of running around I do.

PVP is atrocious in all aspects they really need to fix that (weapons and armor stats should be adjusted to what is hitting you better)

I disagree, I think PvP is great and something I look forward to weekly more then anything. There have been amazing PvP battles.

Armor need to be adjusted as stated above

Weapons should do damage based on what your using better. (two handed warhammer should crush someone in cloth or leather unless they have some kind of magic armor active, as an example)

I agree

Crafting is ridiculous, too many ingredients (if your a crafter you probably love it)

I absolutely disagree, crafting is perfect.

weapons and armor should be worth more based on the time and ingredients it takes to make it as well as the extras on it the +'s and attunements when selling to npc vendors.

Im passive on this, not sure why you would see a crafted thing to an NPC.

I wish there were special weapons or armor dropped by creatures that could only be dropped that are worth something based on its special characteristics!

I disagree, this is not WOW. If anything they should have rarer crafting components which match the goals of this game.

It takes constant grinding to level (big boring turn off) some of us have jobs and life outside of the game so we cant put forth as much time as others.

That is technically your issue being that you think you need to "rush" into this game which force you to grind.

Why cant you just put what level we are instead of making us go to logfiles to retrieve it???? (at least i would know if im level 20 i shouldnt try and kill that level 80 guy!)..... heres a small way to fix the sheep killers. there should be a 10 or 20 level gap between players that can attack each other, example a level 70 can attack a level 80, but not a level 20, and a level 20 shouldnt even be able to attack a level 41 - and up. that would reduce the sheep killers, and make a competitive match between 2 people. Plus im sure more people would flag PVP with a safety net like that. (except those that will never PVP and have stated so in many posts i respect that)

Level isnt even supposed to be a factor in this game at all. Just forget the idea of lvl.

Magic should do more damage based on what magic it is compared to what your opponent is wearing.

Dont really get this statement.

It seems to me that the devs tend to cater to the higher paying groups of people which would be fine if it was ONLY THEIR game and no one else s, but not all of us can afford to be in that bracket if your going to make a game for all you should listen to all needs and not just certain peoples. Those people in the higher bracket may be financing most of the game, but the lower bracket can destroy it by word of mouth to other would be people that also can help finance it! If you watch any of the post mortems, you will see that most of the people that get thier questions answered or in game adjustments are in the higher paying bracket. (this is an opinion ive had for quite sometime. My opinion)

With this style of funding they have to. PoT's funds are about 1/3rd of the total pledges so ya, they should take care of them.

Loading times into game take forever (based on other games)

This is an issue on your side, I can load scenes and such in under 10 seconds now.

Scene loading times also take a fair amount of time.

This is an issue on your side, I can load scenes and such in under 10 seconds now.

another one of MY opinions is that the lot rent fees are too high (especially for lower level people)

I probably agree with that.

we are missing a bunch of creatures that could be added (Ettins, Gargoyles, fantasy type creatures) for gods sake open a Monster manual and see other things that could be added as to not make the game so boring! Wolves, Bears, Skeletons, Spiders, Kolbolds, and Bandits is all this game pretty much has on a regular bases and its boring!!

Totally agreed. How about the fact that every mage NPC in the game spit only fireballs.

there seems to be alot of cons especially for as long as this game has been in the making!

Totally disagree

Please try and be as constructive as you can, and not start a pecking match against one another. respect each others opinions and maybe we can make this game better than it is at the moment.

Honestly with this post, you have stated a lot of personal opinions and you will not get constructive comments.

Leelu, Olthadir, nonaware and 4 others like this.
  14. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

yes and ive stated they are my opinions so the argument there is settled. to help you understand this statement (Magic should do more damage based on what magic it is compared to what your opponent is wearing) if i cast a fire spell on you and your wearing cloth you should burn up, leather same and lose the durability of the item based on what hit you. I got some constructive comments from your opinions! So i guess it was constructive. Thank you for posting! Im glad you enjoy the game mostly based on your opinions as well :)

Leelu, Mykll and Olthadir like this.
  15. Pikegirl

Pikegirl Avatar

I've played the game for two months and more now, my views of what I like and dislike about SotA have changed since then.

Pros
    1. Open ended Skill System: Be what you wanna be, just do that thing you do often.
    2. Community: The best out there. Friendly, helpful and oh so willing to go the extra mile.
    3. Overland Map: I'm in the minority but I love the map. It's pretty to me and traveling on the road makes more sense now. Not to mention the many friends you get to make and meet on it.

Cons
    1. Lack of control in the Open Ended Skill System: Too easy to attain self sufficiency, losing reliance on the economy and becoming self absorbed.
    2. Multi-player Mode not being the "default" mode of choice: Farming outside town and civilized area should be solo/party default and the social aspect can be pushed in towns, pots and the overland map, thus reducing the need to log in Friends only mode for farming sessions.
    3. Walls on a Keep lot: Personal peeve of mine. Why can the walls of a Keep lot be removed in a POT but not in an NPC town? Give players the choice!
    4. Unleash the "offspring" alts on a same account already!

16. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Na, I disagree with this too.

17. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Goofy posts like what the OP said are worse. I'll be more specific, posts full of absolutes like "ya, da whole combat system sux".

Heres the skinny, complainers are complainers. As a manager of people you have lots of people who just want to complain about everything.

This is what the dev's want....

They dont want complaints, they want fix's and resolutions. something like:

"the combat system is clunky, here is my suggestion to fix it".

Take on this attitude and you go a lot farther in life.

So why did I respond like I did? Good old Christopher Hitchens said it himself:

That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.”

Olthadir and Soylent Green like this.
  18. MIdnightvalkyrie

MIdnightvalkyrie Avatar

Okay, I'll elaborate: I absolutely DETEST posters who tell others to go "play something else". Seeing the OP's name I came into this thread expecting another complaint about the lack of PVP in this game but instead I found a number of criticisms concerning various aspects of the game. The reasoning behind the criticisms may be lacking and not up to your standards, but dismissing them by saying "go play WoW" will not help any of us.

19. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I read the OP's list, I think the guy who told him to play WoW is pretty spot on. This guy has massive structural complaints about the game and there is no way they are going to fix that guys issues. In truth the post is probably already a rage quit.

Olthadir likes this.
  20. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Take it to PM gentlemen, thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.