Can we have a Project Update that is not trying to sell me something."

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by oren, Nov 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oren

oren Avatar

Raziel, Parallaxe, Ferrus and 5 others like this.
  2. GimmeUOPlz

GimmeUOPlz Avatar

Did they even mention fishing poles? If they did, they didn't linger on the subject for more than a couple seconds. They want money to help grow their business, couldn't care less that they do it.

NirAntae likes this.
  3. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

It's the exact same as that one only you have to repair it after using it for a while. Why does it bother you they are trying to make more money to pay the developers that are making the game? I mean I know it sucks you can't buy it I know I don't have money for a fishing pole in my budget but really if they didn't keep having new add-ons and such to get people to back the game we wouldn't have even reached the last stretch goal.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

4. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Heckuva first post to say hi... you must be a ks founder/backer to have seen multiple updates and suggest they don't include add-ons. So why have you waited to join the fun on the forums? The fishing pole pushed you to speak up? ;)

Anyway, there has been some discussion of this in another thread. We all must remember that Portalarium is a business and as a business, sells stuff. This is not the fantasy world just yet. Unless someone at Portalarium is mind-controlling you to open your wallet, there's no reason to complain about it. And if someone is, I wish they would teach me...

TemplarAssassin likes this.
  5. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Considering the warm welcome that people with dissenting opinions get on these forums, I'm surprised that we don't see much more of this. If people would just focus on the question and have an honest discussion on the actual subject, I think this community would be far better served.

This guy/girl is asking a very understandable question. Must every update be a sales pitch?

My answer would be yes, you bet it should be. We want people to spend money and make this game better. Taking pot shots at the poster doesn't help us do either of these things. The dev team shouldn't be doing it, the moderators shouldn't be doing it, and the fans that really want this game to be as good as it can be shouldn't be doing this. The community should be open to hearing dissenting opinions.

Again, there's always reason to complain about something, there's not always reason to agree with them. That's the difference that this community hasn't learned yet and I would say that the tone at the top shares some responsibility for this. The Dev team has been steadily improving in this area, for example they didn't rush out to defend the honor of their card deck system and are instead "likely" constructing a measured response that will hopefully address many concerns in a thoughtful and unassuming way.

6. oren

oren Avatar

$10 fishing poles and $200 homes, can't some of this stuff wait until after a beta is released? To me it seem like the energy used to create these items could be better utilized to polish the assets that are not part of the addon store. I do not mind that this addon stuff is for sale.

BillRoy and licemeat like this.
  7. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

The expectation of receiving a warm welcome when the first thing said was a critique is a little unrealistic don't you think? If I met you in real, and the first words out of my mouth were, "Wow, that shirt doesn't really look good on you maybe you should change it," would you respond. "Nice to meet you! Yeah, here's my opinion on the matter." Doubt it seriously. Civility in conversation works both ways.

You also forget, I did respond to the question. It's not dissent that's the issue - it's the way dissent is expressed. This is REALLY what is hard to understand. If I respond strongly to the WAY something is expressed, people will sometimes say "you're shutting down my opinion!" It's an illegitimate defensive tactic and an overreaction.

People who provide opinions in a certain way should not be surprised when that WAY is called into question. It just so happens that in this case, I like you, also don't agree with the opinion itself.

Thus your criticism is quite baseless, as I am thoughtful about the way I do things and am happy to support new people on the forum.

SmokerKGB likes this.
  8. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

The energy really doesn't seem all that much since the fishing pole is a standard item in the game that would need to be created anyway. Just like houses and basements. The only thing different about this fishing pole is that it won't break down, which is just one variable that needs to be tweaked. It's not really any energy to do this at all.

Plus, the money raised now could potentially help by paying for time to polish assets and put more things in game. Money creates a better game before and during the time it is being developed. After, it just goes into the developer's pockets (maybe a future episode). For me, that's why it's good to raise it now.

9. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

Seems that every time there is a decent enough update, a new set of forum doubles pop up and start writing cheques their orig forum bodies can't cash.

Rodriguez, Seir and mitchellhamilton like this.
  10. Drocis the Devious

No Vyrinor, I really don't. This is a discussion forum. People are supposed to give feedback. If you or I disagree with it, that's fine. But we can't just rip into people because we disagree. We can't just say things like "well wait for alpha or beta and then complain." That's not going to do anyone any good. If people don't like something they should say it now not in alpha or beta. Now is when the devs can still stear the ship with some flexibility, once this game gets moving it's going to take months or years (or never) to actually make changes.

Of course, but this guy didn't do that. He didn't say that we were jerks he said that the emails he got had too much sales stuff in it. That's an opinion that the devs should want to hear. If he doesn't say that here, where's he supposed to say it?

I'm sorry Vyrinor, I wasn't trying to call you out as the only person doing this. It's a community wide problem in my opinion. We (all of us) should be better able to handle people with concerns about the game. I did realize that you answered his question, but that first part was what I see happening A LOT, and not just by fans, the devs and the mods have done their share of this too, and it's wrong.

The internet doesn't carry tone very well. Some people just get right to the point and say "I don't like X". Ok, that's just a statement. If they say "I don't like X and you're a fat jerk." That's a different story, that's being rude. It's not rude to have an opinion and be direct about it. This discussion forum isn't really a good place for small talk. Posts shouldn't have to start with "how was your day?" to be shown respect.

Raziel, nevdawg, mittens and 7 others like this.
  11. Drocis the Devious

It also seems like people that have concerns about ANYTHING get shot down by the same forum goers for the same generic or baseless reasons. It must be a seasonal thing.

12. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

Takling about anyone in specific there?

13. Drocis the Devious

Fans, devs, mods. There's a lot of this going around.

Willard, TemplarAssassin and Joviex like this.
  14. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Um, ok if you thought I was "ripping into" someone. My comments were nothing like what you said.

When I join a forum, I look for the introduction thread - or in my first post I say something introductory. The rules of real should still apply in my mind, it's just basic civility. I have to completely disagree with you in that I don't think a forum is a place to depart from the normal social realities of real life. This is the true problem with the anonymity of electronic communication. And who doesn't know that forum users can be dup accounts and paid critics and adverts? Even more reason to announce yourself well when you start.

I'm happy with being welcoming, but I want to live in the real world not a fantasy.

15. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

I think the biggest problem is that some people on these forums take any critique of the game and it's direction personally. They seem to feel personally insulted and are immediately defensive regardless of what the critique is. Really they should just look at it for what it is - critique can actually be very useful! Of course you will get some trolling on the forum but a lot of critique I have seen is perfectly legitimate yet people jump on those people for daring to air such an opinion anyway.

nevdawg, Parallaxe, Deus_Irae and 3 others like this.
  16. G Din

G Din Avatar

Meaningful content updates showing the progression of the game brings in $$ .

rild and oren like this.
  17. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

My question here is "Are they selling power here?". That looks like a nice fishing poll. It actually "increases" your ability to catch fish. It is like a poll that can be crafted in game, but it's indestructable. Does this purchase make you more effective than a fisherman starting the game without it? Is that selling power?

Just something to ponder. However this might be sold temporarily making it a rare item in game. I guess I'll buy it then.

EDIT: It really isn't that much power. It really isn't going to imballance the game either way.
    FYI -- I did buy this item, and can't wait to hang it on my wall for display.

18. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

yes...and I bought two... and as soon as I learn to double wield I'll be the most powerful fish pimp in all of Britannia.

19. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Are you talking about the critique or the critique of the critique? Just because someone critiques a critique doesn't make that form of critiqueing wrong. If you're going to say that people shouldn't take critique personally, then the original critiquer shouldn't take critiques of their critique personally. It is always lame for the person who made the original critique to cry foul that their critiquer is taking it personally. It is an invalid and defensive tactic, unless the person displays some evidence they are taking it personally. As confusing as this is - you need to try and understand it because your post is highly ironic and has a double-sense you didn't intend.

In essence, once you start critiqueing the critiquer of a critique, you are getting circular.

20. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

Nice attempt to redirection there. It is pretty clear what I meant.

Joviex likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.