Reagents are killing the game for me

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Rathmir, Oct 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rathmir

Rathmir Avatar

Let me start this off by saying for the most part I am really enjoying this game. I enjoy the complexity and it reminds me of my favorite MMO SWG.

The housing is neat and the diversity of classes is really apealing to me. Being the Star Wars nerd that I am I thought it would be fun to make a Sith-like toon. Lightning skills yeah cool! Death skills check! It seemed like it would be really fun to create a toon like that. And it is. The problem is all of the reagents that it takes to sustain it. Between lightning and chain lightning it is very difficult to make enough money to keep buying the reagents to keep going.

Now i feel i should change my build until i get a warchest of gold together to be able to play like I want to . Thats sort of a bummer.

I dont want to seem like a malcontent because thats not what Im going for. I just wanted to share my thoughts as a new player.

Anyway, if I am doing something incorrect maybe someone can steer me in the right direction. Maybe this is intended?

Thanks for reading. For the most part it seems like this is a game I could play for a long time.

Rampage202, FrostII, Pikegirl and 5 others like this.
  2. marthos

marthos Avatar

Hi Rathmir! There are some good places where you can go to harvest a lot of reagents for free. If you message me in game (Marthos Dunesworth) I'd be happy to show you around a few low level areas that have lots of free reagents.

3. GraveDncer

GraveDncer Avatar

Magery is probably the most difficult to start with but by far the most powerful in late game. Keep with it, it'll get easier.

In the meantime...

Take advantage of the oracles free 500gp a day, hunt humanoids more then animals for the regs and sellable loot.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    Numa, MrBlight, 4EverLost and 5 others like this.
  4. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Also consider buy COTO to get a potion that gives you 25% less reg consume chance. The COTO costs about 1100 - 1300 GP. The potion last 7 days. If you play at least an hour for 2-3 days, that should already break even.

5. moko

moko Avatar

Are you using wands? They give you a better chance not to use reagents while casting.

6. Val Ravar

Val Ravar Avatar

Like people were saying, use double wands and obsidian potion, toss in reagent free spell too. You dont really want to cast chain lightning on single targets, unless you dont care about the cost effectiveness.

One of the most useful things you can do is to increase your overall skill in the said magic school, all the active skills give you affinity and make sure even if you are using non masterworked or enchanted gear, to put correct gems in. This way you will get +40 affinity in the school of magic and increases spell damage considerably thus making you kill mobs with less spells. Dont know what your skill lvl's are but chain starts to come useful after 50 or 60 skill.

I can show you some pointers too on where to farm. Might want to use some firemagic too, it seems to rock in mob farming.

Ingame Val Ravar

7. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

Hello @Rathmir :)

Feel free to friend me in-game and I can help you out if you like. It pretty much is as people have already said here, you can pick up some reagents around the world for free, but most important is the obsidian conservation potion and wands. I think they really have made the reagent cost for lightning and chain lightning too high, none of the similar ranked spells in the other schools have the same cost. They even reduced their damage as well. Compared to some other spells it seems more like they are not worth the cost anymore. I just like lightning, visually and because it is what it is. However, it's not the only spells I use. :)

8. Last Trinsic Defender

Last Trinsic Defender Avatar

Hi and welcome.
    Please consider that having one char-slot means that not every action from the beginning is advisable and you need to build your career, money, items, experience. It is not game-intendet to come up and throw big magic with a huge need of reagents in the beginning. This will come step by step so you can develop new things and gather experience time after time.

Moiseyev Trueden and Rathmir like this.
  9. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

@Rathmir like has been offered by other avatars, you're welcome to hit me up in game and I can show you some good spots to harvest reagents specific to the deck you're using. It can take a little time to get into the skill levels needed to comfortably harvest some reagents... so tuning your deck is sometimes a little tricky. And there's added efficiency to be found by stacking your deck ;) That said, hit me up in game - I'll adventure with you.

10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hi and welcome Rathmir if I haven't welcomed you before. I am Majoria in the game, I would also be happy to help in anyway. I am not sure how beneficial gardening is for growing atm, but we can also grow some reagents. I would really like to see us get a few more by killing perhaps mages and magical creatures and in chests and boxes etc we find in our travels.

11. Rathmir

Rathmir Avatar

Thank you for all of the suggestions. I will certainly look into them.

I understand that wands are they way to go but i have been using a halberd for the the look and the auto attack so i understand i am most likely causing some self inflicted pain here. Im sure the no auto attack with staves has been addressed somewhere so Im not going to get into that..

Thanks again for the feedback. :)

12. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

You will do so much damage from the spells that you won't need auto attack anyway.

moko and Oba Evesor like this.
  13. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

Yep, reagent costs for Air absolutely suck. I was heavily invested in Air until I noticed they changed the reagent use chance for Air by making it higher. Lightning got a 100% increase in reagent use chance (was 10%, now 20%), and Chain Lighting got a 50% increase in reagent use chance (was 20%, now 30%). This wasn't in any patch notes. It just costs way too much to use as your main spell school now. So I made the switch to Earth. It sucks to be basically forced out of the character I wanted to play as though.

If you do feel a need to stick with Air though, then you need to run the obsidian potion that reduces reagent use chance by 25% at all times to somewhat help with the reagent problem. You'll still be blowing through more reagents than any other spell school regardless. So be prepared to make less gold than anyone else in the game from adventuring since your costs will be the highest.

My old Air deck used to be made of:
    5x Chain Lighting, 5x Lightning, 2x Ring of Fire, 4x Healing Touch, 2x Healing Burst. The rest were all utility buffs that were locked.

I still use Chain Lighting in my new deck for the stunning effect though. It greatly helps me in getting off Earthquake which takes 2 seconds to cast (twice as long as Chain Lighting).

My new Earth deck consists of:
    4x Earthquake, 4x Obsidian Arrow, 4x Chain Lightning, 4x Healing Touch, 2x Healing Grace. The rest are all locked utility buffs.

Once I finally catch up with Earth back to where I was with Air, then I'll likely have 5x Earthquake and 5x Obsidian Arrow in that deck instead of 4x each.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  14. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Hi @Rathmir and welcome! Glad to hear you are enjoying the game...

It sounds to me like perhaps you are overlooking the value of your lower-tier spells that do not require reagents. For example, I was able to progress up to 3 skull areas using only tier 1 magic fists... I leveled them up to 50 each in the process.

Also... due to the fact that I am anticipating a lot of "re-balancing" going on with the magic schools in the future, I didn't want to commit to a particular school right away. But it does look like I am leaning toward Earth magic...

The fists have quite a generous arc of effect and hit multiple targets, so what I often did was use backflip to coax the mobs into converging to the center of my visual field, then blast them with fists. No "Area of Effect" like Chain Lightning necessary. Oh, and they almost never fizzle if you are wearing cloth armor.

If you use "unlocked" skills in your deck (which I highly recommend) then you will burn through less focus and have faster recovery so you can whip off several fists in quick succession. Also- with unlocked skills you have the option to "combo" which in the most basic sense allows you to "stack" your fists... as two of the same kind come up in your hotbar you can drag one over to another and "stack" them multiple times. This both increases the damage and further lowers your focus spent. If you see a combo option you can also press the "R" key and then use the number keys to select the combo glyphs.

About a month ago, I started adding in 2nd tier spells. Now I can take a single mob in a 5-skull scene down. It took me about 3 months of "casual" gameplay to get to this point... maybe an average of about 2-3 hours per week of actual adventuring.

Also- gathering regs from the environment can be fun, but one of the quickest ways to get regs is to kill magic users.

I hope that helps! Feel free to look me up in the game anytime and we could go out hunting, or spar as well. :)

Numa, moko, Moiseyev Trueden and 3 others like this.
  15. Pikegirl

Pikegirl Avatar

@Rathmir

If reagents casting is your goal, dual wielding wands with an extra 10% reagent reduction could be viable too.

I'm doing the build currently and usage of reagents have gone down significantly.

16. Thwip

Thwip Avatar

Also, make sure when you go to buy Reagents that you are buying at the low price!
    NPC Vendor pricing is variable! If people are buying lots of say Black Pearl from a vendor, the price will go up. Find a different vendor or wait for the price to go back down.

Black Pearl should be 6 gold
    Mandrake Root 4 gold
    Spider Silk 6 gold
    Sulfurous Ash 6 gold

I have scene it where the prices are double! :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.