Shroud of the Avatar - Get your money back or keep it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vallo Frostbane, Oct 12, 2016.

?

Would you take the refund?

1. Yes

22 vote(s)
    18.6%
  2. No

96 vote(s)
    81.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Let's say you could get all your invested money back without hassle?
    Would you do it or not and why?

2. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

I would take the refund. To be honest I just don't have any desire to play the game anymore. I just do not find it fun and I don't see that changing anytime soon. I mean maybe by the time its officially released it will somehow all come together and be a great game. But I think the chances of that are low. So if I could I would definitely take the refund. But maybe once it is officially released I would consider coming back.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  3. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

It is really a hard decision, but I would take the cash back.
    I want to love the game, but the lack of communication from the dev team on the important features for me (Faction or Guild PVP) are too vague to fully convince me. Additionally my guild is kinda dead tbh and most people I played with stopped. EU timezone wise there is not much going on, and player numbers are constantly dropping as far as steam charts and my personal observations go.

Still hoping for the best.

Moiseyev Trueden, docdoom77 and Kaisa like this.
  4. Audacity

Audacity Avatar

Nope. I love the game and this amazing community. I hope to be playing for years.

5. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

Why do you consider this moment appropriate to evaluate the product on such a fundamental level?

6. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

NO. Even if i had more invested in the game than i already do...which isnt all that much. I am enjoying the game even with its quirks and such. Its fun for me. Its not UO but it has just as many things in it that make it fun for me.
    And since its still cooking I think most folks should give the benefit of the doubt on how its gonna turn out. Frankly for what it is RIGHT now its great. Everyone needs to remember that this has been a long time in the making and working. With new programming and such coming out all the time its hard sometimes to keep up to date so they have to integrate the new with the old and they do so as fast as they can. So still No i would not.

7. Vaentorian

Vaentorian Localization Team

I might sell off some pledge rewards etc, especially if my recent run of bad luck with employment continues, but I'm sticking with the game for sure even if I'm a homeless vagabond

8. Womby

Womby Avatar

I've put more hours into SotA than I have into any other game, ever: currently 4,808 hours on Steam, and an unknown number via the launcher.

In particular I'm having tremendous fun enjoying something that I haven't found in any other game: the ability to create and add my own quests and literary content. (Watch out for the Halloween quest that Vyron and I will be launching this month.)

I'm here for the long haul.

9. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

This pretty much mirrors my thoughts on the matter.

10. dp_dropout

dp_dropout Avatar

I would take the refund.
    It's not casual player friendly at all and every patch takes it further away from that. Skill loss upon death, increased spawn to annoy gatherers or force them to group, overpowered npc ranged mobs, pointless and ridiculously expensive crafting, endless grinding to see any skill gain past certain levels, non existent fishing (I know it's coming),...
    I don't log in anymore and quite frankly, I don't see myself playing until fishing is implemented. If that's any fun I'll happily play for months, if not, I'll probably try to sell my account.

wolfger, Jamist, Apollyon9515 and 4 others like this.
  11. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

We haven't even began yet! I'm hanging in there, and loving it. I look forward to some word on when it is time to look for promotion of the game (the game isn't feature-complete yet, and can't be judged on anything in all fairness) and the story that is supposedly well hidden from us (LB claims 80 hours of rpg time last I heard!). Another year to go, I'm pretty sure! :) But it should be worth it. In the meantime, I buy up rares ppl are selling cheap lol!

12. Aurelius Silverson

Aurelius Silverson Avatar

I'm perfectly happy with what I got - I've enjoyed watching the development process, had a lot of fun testing stuff, and knew from the start the 'full' game was a way off, and 'met' a lot of folks in-game and throgh the forums who I like. I didn't buy in at the highest levels, but still spent quite a bit - although compared to what I spend over 15 years of UO, with 5 accounts and buying every expansion and addon pack for all of them, it's been a cheap purchase!

13. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I can sit down and play this game for hours... and when I spend time trying to sort out the mechanics and how they're intertwined and really try to make sense of the framework I've been exposed to, it wows. I'm sticking with the game. It's going to be epic.

I love to be a critic and I'll trade posts with anyone that wants to dissect the game - but I also acknowledge that we're only seeing the tip of this iceberg right now. Good things are coming, and they're being delivered by a team with a proven track record of industry wins.

meh... opinions are like ducks or something. whatever. I'm here for the long game.

14. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I'd definitely take the refund. The game just isn't what I was hoping it would be.

But since they're not offering, I'll just keep hoping it moves closer to what I expected.

wolfger, Jamist, Vallo and 5 others like this.
  15. Rasp

Rasp Avatar

I'd take the money. To be honest, the only reason I'm logging in at all is the level that my guild has invested in this game.

Port just isn't making good decisions, IMO. This ranges from the basic of their business to the nitty gritty of the gameplay. Who in their right minds tries to build and field a game of this size and complexity with a QA team of 2 people??? These poor decisions will have future consequences and they will force more poor decisions. The state of this game at persistence is the glaring example. Already the testing base that Port relies on is falling rapidly and they will be forced into an early 2017 launch whether the game is ready or not.

I'm not sure if it's incompetence or that this was just a money grab from the start, but I don't trust Portalarium to deliver.

16. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

I'm on the fence. Some of their choices for direction worry me. I sometimes feel they don't even know what direction the game is going. Like walking a tight rope without knowing what it is tied to on the other end. But I do still have faith they will deliver something we can enjoy with enough of the base built to really start popping out Ep2 and beyond content.

Moiseyev Trueden and docdoom77 like this.
  17. Thwip

Thwip Avatar

There is no way I would take a refund. LOL I can sell off my game assets for more than I bought them for!!! :D

Leelu, Vaentorian, lollie and 5 others like this.
  18. Pepsy

Pepsy Avatar

I've already made my money back just playing the game 8 x over. I'm having a blast playing the game, and I look forward to being a part of the community for as long as I can, I've been all over the net, top to bottom, there's nothing different out there. Can you tell me you are going to walk away from here to some golden game, where every aspect of what you want is covered. If you can I would definitely suggest you go there, and stay....forever. But as far as I know there is nothing but hat simulators, and cash shops from here to timbuktu. Thank goodness everything here can be earned by playing the game. Take a look at the market, you will find people figuring out a way to get what they want in a lot of different ways.

What's best for me is almost all of us are invested in this game with either time or money, so there is a general feeling of community amongst certain players, who probably do business with each other exclusively just for the community factor.

19. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

For people saying that its too early to judge, I disagree. It isn't a finished product, but the bones are in place and comments/direction the devs have made make it very clear their intended direction for the game.

I voted no but I'm honestly torn on the decision. I had about 3K invested in the game, including buying multiple accounts for my friends (very casual players and most are super anti-PvP but they all loved the concept of SPO & FO). One upgraded his computer to be able to be functional in the game to help me with testing. All of them have now quit playing either due to game mechanics or design choices. The community I've met here keep me active in the forums, but the increased focus on grind and penalizing/frustrating casual play styles has made me not log in any more (time constraints in life being a major factor).

I sold off my main pledge because the reason I had it was so my friends could take advantage of the perks without having to invest in it themselves. With them not willing or able to play the game (unity bugs, physical difficulties, etc.) there isn't a reason to invest at a high level. Having said that, as bad as I think many of their choices are, I still plan on playing and hope that eventually they make something worthwhile that will draw my friends back into it. With current design choices though, I don't know if they will and that saddens me.

If I had never backed this game, I wouldn't now as most of what drew me to the game initially is gone. Having said that, the community here makes me very glad that I did back the game, and is what keeps me checking in. So like I said, torn on the decision.

***For clarity - there are things I like about the game. My post looks very negative, but my overall view currently is not. It isn't positive either though. I'm very much in the wait and see camp.

Sir Cabirus, Solazur, Leelu and 6 others like this.
  20. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

I'm mainly here for the story and therefore not satisfied with the current state of the game. I miss a strict concept - sometimes I fear the development is way too community driven. Feedback is a good thing, but nobody knows if the given feedback is representative. Moreover I'm concerned about the long time development. I wonder what the big development progresses were in the last 12 months. Money is tight and time goes by. To be honest, I have not much hope - but I HAVE still hope. And therefore I wouldn't refund :)

Jamist, Montaigne, Kilhwch and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.