Taming and Summoning Chart

Discussion in 'Player Created Resources' started by Jaath Windsong, Aug 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaath Windsong

Jaath Windsong Avatar

Shroud of the Avatar Taming Spreadsheet

Perhaps a bit of explanation, but first, credit where it is due, I got the idea from GnickGnack's SotA Taming Page here, and I used his data to double-check my own findings. Also, data on the Obsidian Bear and the Ferocious Wolf and Brown is derived from his findings (as my taming is only 75), and the info on the Ferocious Red and the Huge Corpion is a guess...

• Creature Name: Pretty much explains itself...
    • Pre-Tame Hit Points: Again, not too complex
    • Area: Where I found the beastie, key to the abbreviations is below the chart (rows 58 - 92).
    • Special Abilities: Abilities the beastie has that it retains after taming.
    • Half-life Modifier: Whether the number in the table reflects that I was able to half-life the beastie before taming. Goes from 0 at max HP to 10 at half HP on a linear scale (3/4 HP gives a 5 modifier, etc.) I have no idea how to half-life something with 2 HP, so these beastie's taming score is unmodified.
    • Creature Level: My best guess at the internal level of the beastie.
    • Minimum Summoning: The minimum number of points needed in Summoning to summon the beastie from a necklace (self-tamed or purchased). It is (Creature Level - 20), minimum of 1.
    • Tame Level: The modified taming difficulty (with 0 Tame Creature). It is (19 - Creature Level + Half-life Modifier)
    • % Chance to tame at taming level: Again, fairly obvious. It is (Tame Level + Tame Creature Level * 0.6) rounded to the nearest integer.
    To use, just match up your Tame Creature skill on the top (there is a slider that only moves the level columns) with the beastie on the left side, and voilà!

If you find a mistake or a missing beastie, please let me know and I will update the chart. If you have information on the Obsidian Bear and the Ferocious Spiders, I would love to hear it. If you have suggestions, let me know and I will see what I can do. Enjoy!

Edit: I have figured out the formula for Focus Cost but I am running into a rounding error that causes the highest level pets to be off by 0.1 Focus Cost. Minimal, I know, but when I find the problem I will update the spreadsheet. Until then, the formula is (0.05 * (Creature Level + Combat Training Bonus)^2 + 40) * (1 - Concentration Bonus). I have not tested pets that are over my Summoning ability, but if you do, you will probably have to round the creature level down to the nearest integer.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    olddoghot, Numa, Lugonal and 15 others like this.
  2. Natasha Ultara

Natasha Ultara Avatar

What release is this information good for?

3. Mitara

Mitara Avatar

I guess taming isnt broken after all then :)

4. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Im juust at about 85 now doing a push.
    Your chart seems quite right.

Random facts!!
    Bear patrinarch is significantly better then an obsidian wolf!!
    And an obsidien bear is hands down best pve pet untill the fero spiders! Lol. Useless wolf.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  5. Andrew Silverston

Andrew Silverston Avatar

This is awesome, thank you Jaath!

6. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

So, are you finding pets such as the patriarch bear to be useful at high level? I haven't heard too much since the original outcry of the big nerf.

7. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

I am running .. or was .. a pure crit archer .. now im just a gimp archer who doesnt crit.
    That being said, i havnt found a pet usefull enough for the focuse cost untill the bear patriarch, and he was situational.
    Since they fixed the collar recovery chance tho, ive pushed taming quite a bit higher then i had it, and ..
    Bear patriarch was juuust about strong enough to take on an earth elemental while i was doing silver.. this means i could mine continously. He would win about 1/3 times if i didnt heal him or anything.. which wasnt fantastic, but enough i could mine, mine , throw a heal, and keep going.

I tried wolf = hes useless.
    Obsidian bear is what im running right now. The focuse drain is REAL, ill tell you that, (250 or something for me atm ) , tho my passives are still relativly low. But he wins against an earth ele 9/10 .. usuall with over half health left.
    The dif between the Bear patriarch and the OBsidian bear was like 80 health, and a solid 30-40% more dmg.
    Im finding this new bear actually worth bringing out.

Now my opinion might be biased, as i levled up faster with archery then i did taming, so i mighta out grew the lower pets quickly, but that was mostly because the collar recovery was broken, and coller per attempt was hard on silver.
    If my crit gets fixed back to normal, ill be more on the fense as to the focuse/over keeping pet out.. but right now, he makes mining, chopping and foraging pretty easy. With a group depending on setup, i dont usually summon as i usually just burst down specific targets.

8. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

That seems pretty decent then. Maybe some more tuning needed. But the high focus cost seems about right for a pet that can solo an earth elemental. My ice elemental wins 0\10 times if I'm not helping him. But I'd expect that since the focus cost is much less.

9. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Yea no, i agree. That being said, the earth eles were low yellow/just turned green to me.
    Im also only at 76 summoning. Im right at point that every day taming feels more and more worth it for me =) Im just about to do a massive push to get to fero red, hopefully without having to buy it hahaha
    But yea, Obsid bear is pretty beautiful. Im generally happy with it.
    Focuse cost reducing passive, im only at 66 as well, so it only gets easier.

10. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Have they actually fixed the magic summons to make them worthwhile then? For the longest time they've been completely useless compared to tamed pets.

Mitara likes this.
  11. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

True, but the summoned pet take 1 skill to fill in to run them.
    For the pet you need the taming to get it, the summoning to bring it out, The combat passive to up the level to something useful, the focuse reducing passive so you can even afford it, the collar recovery so you only need a few thousand silver ore, not millions. The heal spel to assist it, the ressurect so you dont loose it, and then of coarse if your feeling crazy you can get the summoning time reducer.. to help you level the summoning skil ;)

So 9 skills to fill up.. it better solo an elemental =P

Witcheypoo and Mykll like this.
  12. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

I've got mine at level 42/43 so probably much more effective in the future. They do provide a small damage boost. But the most useful factor at the moment is that they buy me extra time for chained adds / unexpected respawns. They are totally worth it to me for the focus cost. Not complete game changers, but definitely a solid edge when adventuring.

13. Mitara

Mitara Avatar

Summoning takes a whole bunch of skills before you get there. Lot of work.

14. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Thank you for the spreadsheet. I too am using Gnick Gnack's web site for relative taming information.

I am very happy with the taming skills. Graduated from a Large Polar Bear to an Obsidian Bear and he makes a big difference.

I keep focusing on all of my taming skills that even my Chest Mimic now has a somewhat decent HP (135) in case I just want to battle in a level 1 or 2 area. Seriously, My Obsidian Bear can be still overwhelmed by multiple targets at one time so I care for him while out hunting and don't let him wander away too far.

I also have a fire elemental (Firey McFireFace) but like the bear a lot more. I feel for me that his Whap! Is very strong and can reduce the hp of the creature we are battling quickly.

Taming is an essential set skills for me. I am still taming Bear Partriarch but once I can tame my own Obsidian Bear, that will be the icing on the cake.

My skills are of this writing: *EDITED*
    Taming 100 GM - Summoning 87 - Obedience 40 (was 77) - Collar Recovery 97 - Combat Training 91 - Concentrating 85 - Refresh 1 (was 88) - Heal Creature 40 (was 92) - Resurrect Creature 45

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  15. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

That's one of my concerns is that the investment to get to summons doesn't seem to be worth the actual using of them. I'll have to test it out again when I have time to game again.

Mitara likes this.
  16. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

Well... to be fair I had intended to go pretty heavy water tree anyways and use it as part of my core identity. Ice Field was really the only spell I had to grind up that isn't otherwise in my current deck at present. If your planned build doesn't take you close to begin with, then it might not be worthwhile. Other than my water/ice I am also planning to get the Phoenix eventually as I got the pre-requisite skills. Only Reveal Hidden had to be trained up which isn't otherwise in my bar. Just have to do the quest for it at the moment.

17. Mitara

Mitara Avatar

Forget about pets of any kind, they are simply not worth the effort.

18. Mitara

Mitara Avatar

While the pet, even the phoenix, just isnt worth the effort.. the getting it, can be pretty fun, as it is "protected" by a really strong opponent.

19. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

To me the difference is (take Fire as example) you have 6 abilities you can take that doesn't strengthen the Fire Elemental. You have other combat abilities that you can cap at 40 to unlock the next tier.

Taming, you have 7 abilities (8 really, to me Refresh is the most optional ability in there) that all go towards one thing. Make Summon ability better. And you can't really cap those at 40 you have to raise them high. They are not extra combat abilities, or extra things YOU can do in a fight. They are all about the pet.

So to me there are some big differences to a caster elemental summoning and taming pet summoning.

20. Mitara

Mitara Avatar

Well, pets you can grow strong, summoned ones though, you cant do **** about. They are just weak and will continue to stay weak.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.