Write in books?

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Cross, Dec 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cross

Cross Avatar

I was thinking if it would be a cool feature if you could actually write in books and make a story or just journal how the events went today, and maybe like put the books in book shelves or something in your house. just a idea and if you want to get crazy about it you could write stories and sell your books for other people to read( can be about anything like a actual story or even something a guild did and you make a story out of that with real people from the game). someone could open a book store and then there would be famous authors because they can sign there name at the end of the book. one day your all around the fire and you can read them! just a thought though :)

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Can already write books. Can't edit or sign them though.. yet.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  3. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Can be done right now.
    You need to purchase a Blank Book or Blank Sheet of Paper. (You can craft them as well...)
    Then when you doubleclick them you can write the header and the text. For books you can even point to a text file and import that.

There are several authors who publish their own writing in the game (including this one).

You can decorate with books as well, so I can write a note on a blank paper and then leave that note on one of my tables and others can pass it and doubleclick it to read my note.

Book stores are already in, the most fameous one is the one from @Womby and @Vyrin.

But like Bowen said, the functionality doesn't extend to "append" yet, so once a book is written you cannot add to it. But the devs have said they should revisit this later on.

4. Whyterose Flowers

Whyterose Flowers Avatar

Are these bookstores in your town @Spoon ?

Ice Queen likes this.
  5. Shade Cido

Shade Cido Avatar

You can also print copies of your book as well, by using the backer reward of the Printing Press. Just place your written book/paper in the press with a blank, press craft and hey presto you've got a copy.

Blanks books/paper is available from npc book sellers for a few gold. Like Spoon said however, once you've written the book, it can't be edited....

As for he NPC book sellers, I know there is one in Owls Head by the bank I believe, and another in Kingsport.....

Fredrick FlameGrinder likes this.
  6. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Not in this release cycle. Last release we had one with custom books and all but it was one of the least frequented of our vendors. So since I've had less time this cycle I skipped that one. :oops:
    So right now our paper vendor mostly sell house deeds and maps and such things. Hopefully it will be back with the holidays.

What my town does have though is a couple of public chests, and the one in the crafting area has free tools and molds, but also lots of Blank Sheet of Paper so that people can leave feedback and request.
    I also have one outside the Thermae bath house as a mailbox with both Blank Books and Blank Papers for people to write with.

7. Whyterose Flowers

Whyterose Flowers Avatar

Thank you for the update Spoon I appreciate it. Once the game is live it would make sense that more would be willing to write more, thus making books available again.

Ice Queen and Spoon like this.
  8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I always have copies of mine in my town. ;) Not that I write them often but I have a lot planned. No sense in waiting if I can just import them after the wipes.

9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

You can always go to the Social Center in Wizards rest. Lord Baldrith used to keep writing paper in chests for residents. There are lots that are resident trustee status, you can deco or take from chests if you need things.

10. Jocularis

Jocularis Avatar

question: is it possible to write in "bold" or "italics"?

Alexander likes this.
  11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Normal and runic are the only options.

Alexander likes this.
  12. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

Yes, but the only way to do this is by writing in a text editor and use BB codes to accomplish this. Then open up a blank book to 'Import Text'. If you wish to learn how to, just stop by my library in Jaanaford. (viking 2 story stronghold house directly on the right at the entrance). I wrote a book on BB codes and it is sitting on the table in the second floor. (a german version of this book is on the same table).
    But Lord Barugon is also correct in that if you are writing directly into the books, you can only do so in Normal and Runic.

Hornpipe, Numa and Jocularis like this.
  13. Numa

Numa Avatar

I noticed that several books in game are just 1-2 pagrs long - hardly worth the name "book". If i compress several of these very short stories into one compilation would it be possible to have chapters?

Alexander likes this.
  14. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

Yes, I would think so. Some of them, technically could fit into one book, even with the 8000 character limit.

Numa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.