Population Concerns

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Allistaire, Oct 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Judging from the comments on the Kickstarter site, I would say that SotA would not have been funded without the money from the single player Ultima fans.

Dantuin, Canterbury, Pickley and 4 others like this.
  2. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

This one's for sure :)

Dantuin, Canterbury, Pickley and 2 others like this.
  3. Mitara

Mitara Avatar

This game will never be a competition for singleplayer games like The Witcher 3 and others. If singleplayer is what you want Darkmoon, go play one of all the others. You get better gaames, better graphics, better absolutely everything.

Unless this game is a multiplayer game, it will have no chance in hell.

Thwip, Apollyon9515, Solazur and 2 others like this.
  4. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Doesn't it kind of go the other way too? SotA would not have been funded had they not hooked the multiplayer fans?

Solazur, Fister Magee and Mitara like this.
  5. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Definitely. This means that SotA has to satisfy in both regards.

As said in the other thread, I sadly agree with you.
    Maybe it was a mistake to announce SotA as a a game with a single player (offline) mode as it will be judged in this regard, too. And if there are not many big changes in this regard, it won't be able to compete with other single player RPGs. And this will mean a huge negative point for SotA if it fails as a single player game...

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
    Dantuin, Corv, Armar and 2 others like this.
  6. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

The population for a single player game is 1.... you totally win, dude. :D

Mitara likes this.
  7. redfish

redfish Avatar

You're missing Lord Darkmoon's point, though... he repeats it a lot so nobody has an excuse for not getting it ! Most of the single-player fans also planned on playing online in multiplayer. Its more of an issue of whether the game mechanics support what they were looking for in a game (sp style role-playing), or something else (grinding, socializing).

Btw, I think I'm probably right in saying this... most MMO players play solo most of the time. The devs need to make solo play great. Community and group features are great, and definitely add to the game, but focus on solo play first.

8. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

But he - and me too - want to play an Ultima like game. Is this so hard to understand? All this personal attacks and 'if you don't like it leave the game' phrases are total unnecessary.

Dantuin, Armar, Sir Frank and 6 others like this.
  9. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I was just trying to toss in a bit of levity. No harm intended :) ... I'm not a fan of the solo player online mode, but I'm very interested in playing through the game as a single player offline.

Corv likes this.
  10. Merchant Mike

Merchant Mike Avatar

Right now I use the game as a way to calm down at the end of a night playing Lotro. I log in, do some mining, then leave. In that time I may see a few other people running around the map. But no one talks, and wasting time talking to NPC's would simply drive me battier. It is why I do not bother with questing in SoTA, too drawn out and bothersome. Before you get your kacks in a bunch though I understand well that there are those who enjoy the questing system. I think it would have been better though to make marking of quest npc's something that can be turned off rather than having to spend time searching through a room of the twits and trying to get them to understand you. I am hoping that once the game is complete it will be a lot smoother play style. Till such a time, it does aid me in falling asleep.

Armar, Apollyon9515 and Mitara like this.
  11. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

Single player Ultima was always story driven and about experiencing a living world.

You don't need amazing graphics and cinematics to accomplish that.

Pretty sure that's why Hickman's on the team.

Feels like a single person MMO atm tho

Dantuin, Kaisa, Mitara and 5 others like this.
  12. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

I'm certain you don't speak for the majority of high end backers, as previously mentioned. But I have a hard time believing you on this. I love housing. It's like playing UW1, with multiple people, and you can let everyone into your well decorated 'stash room' without worrying about them taking your items.

LOL are you sure that when you finish the story of episode one that you won't go back, look for all the secret doors, go through every dialogue option and then catalogue it all?? You know like you did in ultima underworld?

No such thing as episode 1 if there's ''no series of episodes'' as you say.. Which is ofc my point.

Sorry but the facts just don't seem to support your narrative here..

13. Mitara

Mitara Avatar

An honest good advice... is not the same as a personal attack...

Apollyon9515 likes this.
  14. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

@Sir Cabirus, you have been on the forums for as long as I can remember. You have always been logical and have spoken the truth. In this thread you have stated truth once again and I agree with you. IMO your words are gold on these forums.

Dantuin, Corv, Sir Cabirus and 2 others like this.
  15. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

It's interesting that you mention LotRO. There's a game that's, what, almost 10 years old? And the community there is way stronger than SotA when, if anything, it should be the reverse.

The SotA community ought to be all present, totally rocking out, excited, etc. There are elements that are, of course, but they are the exception, not the rule, even though they don't see that.

Vagabond Sam and Kaisa like this.
  16. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

The words or words to the effect of "this game isn't for you" seems to have become the stock phrase on these forums aimed at people who are disillusioned, concerned or critical about the game.

Many people backed this game for many different reasons. Two fundamental groups who backed the project are those looking for a single player Ultima experience and those looking for a classic Ultima Online experience. 3 years on, in my opinion both groups have been let down.

3devious, K1000, Dantuin and 9 others like this.
  17. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

maybe what Port needs to do is work with EA towards putting out an Ultima based feature film, like LotR.

I'm thinking Spoony could be the Avatar, Darkstarr could be Lord Blackthorn, Lord British as himself ofc, Denise Richards as Minax, Grant Imahara as Iolo (lol!!) and Matthew McConaughey as Dupre, with Sharon Stone as the executioner from U8 as a special appearance (nudity).

Canterbury and Duke Avery like this.
  18. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Whatever - this has Netflix written all over it, maybe even get it woven into a Marvel Comics series at some point.

mass likes this.
  19. Headquake

Headquake Avatar

I'm waiting for more content to be add to the game. I have stop playing cause i was just farming the same zone , again and again and again. And pvp is almost dead , and nothing seem to come to change this in the next quarter , i was expecting pvp to help me keep playing the game between farming pve or ressource , but each time i have tried it all pvp zone were empty. So i'm gonna be back when more pve stuff or pvp be add to the game.

For those who don't own a deed or enjoy playing luth in a tavern for 6hour , or farming the same place over and over and over. There is not that much stuff to do in game right now. I bet many wait like me for more content.

K1000, Solazur, Kaisa and 1 other person like this.
  20. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

To be honest with you, I never sensed SotA has/had a very strong PvP community at any time. You can point to individuals or groups and say, "They are PvPers..." but they've never been in big numbers.

Indeed, my sense has always been that a large part of the community would be happiest in single player mode and, if interacting with others, in a totally non-PvP environment.

I'd never recommend SotA as a PvP game now, for the situations you are experiencing, but I also wouldn't have recommended it in the past, either. PvP has always sat uncomfortably with much of the community.

Xandra7 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.