Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Interest is almost extremely low

Discussion in 'Release 34 Feedback Forum' started by Mitara, Oct 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I can see Starr right now saying "Dont lawyer me bro".

The simple fact that in any dev cycle, story is literally the last thing that goes in. They have to actually build the game first and its mechanics. They have stated that they are now heavily focused on story.

Can you give them 6 more months to shake the story out before forcing the opinion that its failed, considering they are still in the middle of developing it?

If on March 1, 2017 you play SOTA and feel that with the 10 million dollars to build this game that it has failed your baseline for story then I will completely understand and back you up 100%.

Numa, MrBlight and Lord Ravnos like this.
  2. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

And exactly THAT is the problem. Not the story. It's the mechanics. That this game has the mechanics of a MMORPG which ultimately may lead to an inferior single player experience - namely an offline MMORPG. And an offline MMORPG is not a good single player game. It's the single player mechanics that are lacking and missing. And those single player mechanics complement the story to create a great game.

Sir_Hemlock and Corv like this.
  3. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

Dont want to debate again but you so active in pushing one idea that I could`t not saying this: If all single player adepts will go away, world even would not notice it, if all MMORPG players go away you will get empty server/world and this is the fact.

4. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

The "mechanics" of the game only in small part is "MMORPG". I think you over state how much is in the MMORPG parts. 90% of the "mechanics" even in this game now apply to single player mode (maps, scenes, char generators, big cities, armors, weps, houses, decorations, vanity wareables and placeables, combat systems, UI). The vast majority of their time is spent on things that benefit both. I would even go further and say that the MMORPG parts have not had adequate time put into them because PvP for example is a complete failure at this point.

MrBlight likes this.
  5. Mitara

Mitara Avatar

That was exactly my point lol :)

If SotA is going to have a chance, it needs to stand out from games that it cannot compete with.

Also... there is a limit to how succesful PvP will be in a singleplayer game....

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  6. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I disagree.
    In my opinion, if they would have plainly announced a uo 2 we would have finished the KS with 5 or 6 times more than it did.
    But that's an academic discussion because we will never know.
    Fact is that they didn't announce uo 2.
    And I am all for a strong spoff rpg because I believe the mmo part would benefit greatly from it.

This is indeed true.
    Non the less I think this baseline you are talking about still isn't finished.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  7. Liz

Liz Avatar

So when a kid runs on a street and you see a car coming you wait till the car hits the kid before you act, you don't act based on the fact that it is very likely that the car will hit the kid?

I did not say anything about the SP campaign in the last 3 years because I know everything takes time, but now it's time to speak up.

6 months is nothing to implement a real single player campaign like the old Ultimas had. Look at Serpent Isle. Had the same engine and most of the same assets Black Gate had and still they needed (with a bigger team) way longer than that to create the masterpiece that it was.

I have absolute faith that Richard Garriott (and Tracy Hickman) have a storyline worked out that is great. Not a single shred of doubt there (the book was great too). What concerns me is the attention/focus it gets and the way it will be implemented. Because implementing a storyline and implementing it right with everything that it needs to be a worthy Ultima successor are two different things.

This forum is full with people who push the MMO agenda. There needs to be a counter balance to make clear that there are at least as many (if not more) people who care more about the SP campaign. So they know it's worth putting a lot of effort and time in it. I would hate to see it implemented in a way that does not do it justice.

8. Vodalian

Vodalian Avatar

I like the idea to focus more on the starting scenes. For example I just visited Shores of Malice and the dungeon for the first time and thought it was really amazing. If new players could get a little taste of that kind of quality it would surely make more of them stick around.

Corv likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.