Healing Strangers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sparrowhawk Silvarian, Oct 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

hehe no worries bud. My main point is the consensual part. Casting on anyone else should be required consent in this game. Maybe not others but this game went very much toward protectionism of people. This of course is a double edged sword and what happened is that they get a taste of their own medicine. You cannot have your cake and eat it too I guess you would say. I would compromise though, lets say if you did drive by heals on a person that did not want healing, and it flagged you for pvp, even if the person you healed was pve.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  2. lollie

lollie Avatar

How would a person know if that player "didn't want heals". That mechanic could be easily exploitable, I'd rather they give you a special setting, not that I was against doing that anyway, but it is very edge-case to be putting dev time towards.

3. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I guess that would be a chance you take! :) About the dev time spent for doing things, I let them worry about that. If they like the suggestion or dislike the suggestion is all. They spend lots of time on things that are trivial right now anyways IMO. I am for the toggle myself but I was just making a point really.

Moiseyev Trueden and lollie like this.
  4. lollie

lollie Avatar

:eek:

Yeah it's better to add toggles to cover all the bases. This is a very unique game in the kinds of people it draws in, quite a wide variety of playstyles it seems...they're going to have their hands full with meeting all of our requirements :3

5. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

in the light of protectionism, and following that trend then, one of two things are the probable outcome:

1. driveby heal: you get healed even if you do not want it. and it is your blood pressure, not theirs that rises, as nobody gets flagged anything else.
    2. driveby heal: if you toggle driveby heals off, you don't get healed....and their virtue changes for the better in "love" ? because they ahd the compassion to heal a stranger, even if you had it off.

personally, i think option 2 is better. the firewall is transparent, allowing both to play their own styles without encroaching on either.
    ------------

ok, so here's a few flag scenarios for this following option two above, and "they" are the healer while you are the recipient of the driveby.

a. you are pvp, not in active combat. they are pve
    b. you are pvp, in active combat. they are pve.
    c. you are pve, they are pvp.
    d. you are pve, they are pve.
    e. you are pvp, they are pvp.

a. you get healed, or if toggle is on, you do not. - they get virtue points.
    b. you are not healed. - they do not get virtue points
    c. you get healed. if toggle is on, you do not get healed. you are not flagged, they get virtue points.
    d. you get healed. if toggle is on, you do not get healed. you are not flagged. they are not flagged. they get virtue points.
    e. you get healed. if toggle is on, you do not get healed. they get virtue points.

note B, because you are actively in pvp combat, they do not get virtue points as they should have known better. kind of a natural consequence in my book.

personally, i would make it something minute, like half a point if possible they gain, nothing big.

also note there are no scenarios for if the healer is in active pvp combat or not, while flagged pvp - because it doesn't matter, they still decided to heal ya so C and E apply as-is.

Vaentorian and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  6. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

dont you think that people would min/max this? It seems like people would heal just for the sake of gaining virtue. Hrmmm

7. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

I personally wouldn't assign virtue points as that is too easy of a system to game.

***And I get ninjad by Ravicus... dang I type slow.

8. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i'd hope it would be more of a balancing act than a min/max / gaming-the-system kind of thing..thats why i said a tiny bit of virtue...100 heals is 1 point... or 1000 heals, type thing... see i think the virtue SHOULD change, but absolutely not in a big way or something quick to farm out.

ninja edit: so what do you two think of that, if virtue points are simply out of that equation?

9. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Actually like the concept as you spelled it out (minus the obvious exploit aspect). It explains things fairly clearly and fits with the various flagging concepts.

ThurisazSheol likes this.
  10. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

It would not bother me if they left the virtues out of it either. As long as there is a toggle its all good.

11. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

so more like this, for clarity sake:
    so this is assuming that toggle occurs, and it is specifically for the recipient of driveby heals. it is toggled off by default so you DO get healed at first, to promote cooperation and community interaction.

heck, that sounds like a good idea to me.

12. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Ohhh....my. So how long before we get the Thread for my controls page is 17 miles long and I can not find what I am looking for.

13. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

first world problems I guess lol.

14. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

This can be easily done by not allowing healing to a person who is flagged PVP.... you simply can't. But you can heal anyone who isn't flagged.... SIMPLE Now if they would only do this ...

15. Josh Randall

Josh Randall Avatar

An option I thought of that may be easier to implement (I like the flag option myself) is a pop up - Just like you get when you are about to enter a PvP area - you have to accept.

Since they already have the mechanic for it, they could do the same for healing.

Pop up - "Josh Randall is attempting to heal you, do you accept?"

That would take care of the ones that don't want it and those of us that want to make new friends and thank them for saving our butts!

That's my thought anyway

And just for the record - Josh Randall would NOT knowingly be flagged PvP - EVER LOL

16. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

"Josh Randall's friend is attempting to spam heal you so you get this pop-up so Josh can kill you while you're insanley distracted."

17. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

So... Ask once, and have it repeat the answer for five minutes silently.

18. Sparrowhawk Silvarian

Sparrowhawk Silvarian Avatar

Oh for heavens sake! The likely hood of this being the situation AT THE EXACT MOMENT you come across the person in distress and in no way justifies denying the ability to do it. The consensual article above yours was more more feasible and logical. And it's totally plausible for a 'first responder' or paramedic or even a doctor in the hospital to come across an injured person, misdiagnose or miss something and end up making things worse. That's just nature! Next please....

19. Sparrowhawk Silvarian

LOVE THIS!

20. Sparrowhawk Silvarian

I could definitely go with this! As long as it works in both PVP and PVE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.