People laughing on mmorpg at character animations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rufio, Sep 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rufio

Rufio Avatar

i am glad people know about the game,neos land is also interesting the first crowd created rpg online,
    but i think they can make a game maybe asgood as SOTA but not better so i am just funding this game.

2. MindBlast

MindBlast Avatar

It looks good to me but first swing with that axe seems too "soft", no power. Second swing, when he swings back, looks more furious so it's pretty good i think.

Anyway, he just swings air so it would look little weird no matter what. I mean, you try to chop air with an axe :D And it's WIP so not bad. Let them laugh.

3. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

I think the animations look great.

licemeat likes this.
  4. Valandur

Valandur Avatar

They are just unhappy because their future is to raid instances over and of again in Wow all in hopes to completing yet another set of useless gear, so they run around pooping on everyone else's games. :p. just tell them all to go bugger a rabid wolverine. ;P

BillRoy likes this.
  5. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

Generation 3 said what? Pfff.. Noobs.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

6. Hackholm

Hackholm Avatar

Well, this is my first post, but after seeing the bow attack video I felt compelled enough to go to the forums to start a thread and send a message that I absolutely love the animations. Looking at his eye movement/placement was really just awesome. Instead of the robotic eyes always forward animations we get in today's games, this character looks like he is actually attacking with a bow. He is not firing off shots in an extraordinary fashion, just like everyone around him.

What I loved most of all, from all the Ultima games I played, especially UO, was that we were all just ourselves in this great world created for us. Some of us killed dragons, some of us baked bread. Either way, we all had roles to play. It's almost like we were... role playing. :)

Keep doing what you do.

rild, Devoid, BillRoy and 1 other person like this.
  7. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

I just watched the axe wielding animation like 15 times in a row to really get a feel for it. After studying it I have come to the conclusion that I'm really dizzy now. This isn't the matrix..lemme see him swing it at a dummy from one point of view at a time. And post in something besides 480p...it's embarrassing.

BillRoy likes this.
  8. Archaaz

Archaaz Avatar

Born and raised in Texas. Currently in India.
    You lost me at "people" and "mmorpg."

Brando, skinned, Devoid and 1 other person like this.
  9. pkarapan

pkarapan Avatar

IMHO I think the running and general movement animations could be improved in SoTA (refering to what i've just recently seen in the 6 months preview video on Youtube). I mean, I'm not sure if those are "alpha" animation placeholders or whatnot, but the way the avatar characters stop and start so abruptly, and running in general, looks a little ackward and weird.

Other than that I love the direction of the art style and the game looks like it shaping up to be extremely promising!

10. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

someone on MMORPG.com is spewing nonsense -- time to cancel the whole project! :)

Brando, Hazard and Jatvardur like this.
  11. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

There may be things that need to be fixed, but since it is pre-alpha we can be glad that the good elements outweigh the bad. I'm not concerned about animations so much at this phase and really we shouldn't. We gotta build a foundation before we can build on top of it. I too have argued strongly on some points that are important to me, but there are still many good points to focus on.

Everybody is feeling a little low right now. That's where most people give up if they ever do give up. Everybody, and every group has ups and downs, but the ones that make it through are the ones that continued through to finish the race. That doesn't mean everybody is going to be rich if they make it though hard times, but it really matters how you finish.

12. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Character animations? This is a quality of graphics issue and I don't think SoTA is trying to be on the forefront. I'm sure all those people who are complaining about character animations don't even pay attention to them after an hour of play. Sure it makes it look purrrrty, but as long as it doesn't affect gameplay - I don't care how good they are.

BillRoy and NirAntae like this.
  13. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I don't believe the current animations are being signed off as being done yet. I'm sure a lot of time/work needs to go into them and this is mostly placeholder, especially the female running as that is a new model. They have a very good/experienced animator working for them. I believe he did animations for Star wars the old republic.. (If I remember right). I expect over the next 12 months they'll be able to refine the animations.

Also notice: this thread was posted 2 months ago, so it's talking about a different video/demo that the mmorpg guys were laughing at. (Possibly the female avatar shooting a bow I think that was released about then)

Atmosfear, rild and Koldar like this.
  14. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I think the only flaw in the character on the recent video, is when he was going into houses and he was facing forward and the legs were moving to teh left, when he hit the fence, it was kind of funny looking, if you watch the video again youll notice legs moving opposite the toon lol! but i still cant wait to see the finished product!

15. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

I wouldn't be too harsh on the people over at MMOrpg, they aren't all that bad, just like how not everyone here isn't all that good.

16. Screwtape

Screwtape Avatar

I am afraid of it turning into a stand in eachothers face and pound buttons combat. Animation and fluid it is and how mobile (speed and agility of body movement) can and should play a huge role in combat.

Honestly one of the best combat animations I have recently played is Guild Wars 2, if you stand still and try to just mash buttons you will die. The movement/combat animation plays a role in dodging, fighting, running, attacking.

It seems they have spent a lot more time on housing and crafting and the enviroment than actual game mechanics. Which personally I feel game mechanics are far mor important and always make/break a game.

17. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

This is a thread from nearly 2 months ago but the same stands now as it did then: We're not even in Alpha yet. They are working on core game elements before they start putting a ton of effort into things like animations. Heck, combat isn't even near complete yet.

18. Screwtape

Screwtape Avatar

Animation is a very big core game element.

19. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

All things considered, it's pretty far down the list when you consider it's pretty much cosmetic and can be swapped out pretty quick.

Koldar and Hazard like this.
  20. smack

smack Avatar

Sir Frank likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.