Aggro is calculated by hits, not damage???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Khival Xeromus, Oct 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khival Xeromus

Khival Xeromus Avatar

I was farming the pheonix with my guild and I noticed that I was pulling the aggro non stop with ranged with just autoattack, flury and relentless stance on. I started doing charge attacks instead and I would stop getting the aggro.

I went back and forth about 10 times switching between these two playstyles.

I do less damage with buffed autoattack on, but I pull the aggro 100% of the time i have autoattack on in a group of 8 people.

I do more damage using charged attacks, but didnt pull the aggro once with the same group.

Is aggro intended to work like this? in most games damage should holds aggro more than hits. I even tried using escape to reduce my aggro using buffed autoattack, but I still kept the aggro.

If this is intended... then tanks better start making autoattack builds i guess.

2. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Agro is somtihgn that is not like any other game the critter you are attacking is more intelligent than that :) good luck trying to figure out how agro works :)

3. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

would explain why rapidfire and autoattack cause me issues

4. Khival Xeromus

Khival Xeromus Avatar

I did figure it out. I just posted how it works. Let's not pretend it's complicated because it isn't lol. I really hope that post was sarcasm. intelligent? lol the ai in this game is very simple.

5. Khival Xeromus

Khival Xeromus Avatar

did you just somehow get offended by me quoting and replying to someone elses post somehow? I'm confused.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  6. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Oh lol. Sorry mate. I must have someone on ignore in this thread! Thought you were talking to me.

7. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Oh sorry you figured nothing out as to how agro works that is my point -

Do you think the game see you are in auto attack and therefore you are the target is that you reasoning ?

I would bet you my Keep that that is not what the game uses to figure out the AI for monsters - it dose not go ;

Playe 1 in Auto
    Player 2 mele charged
    Player 3 casting spells
    play4 4 heals and buffs
    player 5 Mele skills
    . . . .

And the monsters AI decides to fight back again the one in Auto Attack.

If it is that is broken but there is something else there in the numbers that you are not seeing . . . . .

Again sorry but being in Auto Attack is not what caused you to be the Main Target.

BTW do not bother hollering back at me I am not going to reply here anymore, not worth the aggravation.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  8. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

I will still mention that you are way off base.The OP did not say that 'being in autoattack' causes aggro, they said hitting more often (like when you are in autoattack) pulls aggro.
    Seriously, read before you post in an all knowing manner. Luckily you will not reply now, but I felt this needs to be cclarified for others.

9. Margaritte

Margaritte Avatar

Hehe, unless you are a healer, then you can manage to pull all the aggro without hitting a darn thing ;)

10. manufacturedsoul

manufacturedsoul Avatar

I have noticed this as well. I will pull aggro pretty much 100 % if I start rapidly attacking a strong mob with others ranged. Going with charging does seem to diminish this greatly. I found it odd as well.

11. The_Wight

The_Wight Avatar

Some official clarification on this will help smoothen out my glyph choices. I will prefer to not gain aggro if I'm not a tank for sure.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  12. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

Yeah, healer aggro is the real deal lol. I walked into a high level control point on wave 5 trying to heal an ally (healed him from nearly dead to full health) and it didn't turn out well for me. Every single mob suddenly turned their attention to me and pelted me with a swarm of 50+ damage arrows. I didn't last too long after that.

It was like they were saying (in a Southern accent), "we don't take kindly to your type 'round here!"

@Chris Is there any way you could divulge how the aggro system works? Is it based mostly on damage output or is it as the OP insinuates where it is based on number of hits taken over a period of time? Maybe, like the old interrupt equation, the aggro equation is written in some "less than optimal" way that you were previously unaware of.

13. mercster

mercster Avatar

TL;DR this thread, but number of hits sounds more "realistic" to me. If someone punches you and it doesn't hurt, you're still going to fight back. Aggro following amount of damage, whilst perhaps more useful as a game-play mechanic, sounds less realistic than aggro following number of attacks.

Of course I'm sure the reverse could be rationalized somehow as well. Let the useless debate begin! ;-)

14. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Best guess is that like many systems in SotA it is overly complex to the point that it can't trivially be explained but it follows a simple model like "every 20 ticks the enemy switches aggro to the target that last damaged it" in most cases.

15. Harclubs

Harclubs Avatar

Aggro is another reason why it's difficult being a melee in a group in SotA. The mobs run hither and thither at the drop of a hat, and the poor tank (who has no functioning aggro tools) spends most of his/her time chasing the buggers around. We want some nice aggro generation tools please, and an upgrade to melee utility/damage while you're at it. And fix the targeting system. I dunno about everyone else, but it feels to me like the game is still in bloody beta.

16. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

ROFL!!! :D ummm.. it is.. for another year probably...

But yes! Aggro needs to be fixed badly.

Moiseyev Trueden and lollie like this.
  17. mercster

mercster Avatar

So sad.

18. Pikegirl

Pikegirl Avatar

So said the dead warrior who took the attention of a Dragon with his fast hitting plastic chopsticks.

19. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Sooo let me get this straight you yourself went and said you where healing and pulled every MOB, but you have to ask if it is damage or number of hits or . . . . . .

You own admission admits that it is complex, (oh wait I said that in the beginning)

Please keep asking for the math, but . . .

@Chris - I hope you stick with your guns and let players actually figure it out for themselves, but most definitely take a deep look every so often and make sure it is working as intended.

Please keep the AI going in the direction it is.

20. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

There are at least 4 spells that can be used, if your job is a tank and you chose not to have a skill that draws agro or moves in to attack then you need to work at it and get the skill.

If you do not want the skill then you don not want to be the tank who holds the agro,

The game does not have to change so you can swing away and keep the agro the players need to do what they can to do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.