Melee VS Magic....

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Docdor, Oct 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Docdor

Docdor Avatar

Anyone else fell that melee is far inferior to magic? I'm grand master in blades and I plunk away (auto attack) with a 2 handed copper sword +11 with Death mastery augment for 3 to 15 per hit but, when I cast a spell (pick one) it crits (approx 50% of the time for 50 to 150). When I use whirling blades/thrust/double slash/rend/riposte/coup de gras I rarely see a crit and the damage is far below par. Occasionally (before R35) I would get a 300 to 400 coup de gras hit but haven't seen one of those since r35 patch. I guess my feeling (bottom line) is that melee is 2 to 3 times inferior to magic. Just looking for opionions.

Forgot to mention all my blade skills are 60 plus.... most of my magic is at 40 or below.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  2. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

If your goal is Burst Damage then you are correct. In a fight melee can be just as viable, if played right. You can't have it all I guess.

3. Docdor

Docdor Avatar

not wanting it all..... point was that magi seems to be 3 to 5 times more damaging than melee..... even at way lower skill levels.

4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes it is a known issue. @Chris mentioned it in another thread. ;)

Vermine likes this.
  5. Docdor

Docdor Avatar

Thanks for the reply Majora. Does "Chris" ever mention any kind of resolution? Because, as of now it seems the only way to play this game effectively is to be a bow user or a mage.

majoria70 likes this.
  6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

One sec let me find it and link it. ;)

7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

8. Docdor

Docdor Avatar

Numa and majoria70 like this.
  9. Laurana

Laurana Avatar

Another thing that will help greatly is using charged attack instead of auto attack. Won't help with the glyphs but sound increase your regular hit strength .

10. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Mages can do more burst damage.. but tanks / melee can fight non stop.

Mages are supperior in damage. Thats not even disputed, but fighters can go blow to blow, and with a little healing or self healing they can go non stop against higher end mobs.

But yes they are working on more balancing.. Resistances arent even in play yet.

11. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

I can tell you that statement is pretty far off. My unlocked thrust spam is very fast, high damage, and hits a frontal arc. Coup de Grace is the top single damage skill in the game. Autoattack is kinda weak but still adds around 10% dps

Blades obviously have the leg up on crit builds. Most people who complain are running bludgeon etc.

High str and loading up passives scales well.

All that said, my GM CE spell when setup right delivers huge AoE damage. Zero point in not being a hybrid in SOTA.

The reason Chris states high end melee is top is due to the large amount of scaling opportunities. Many innates, strength buffs etc compared to attunement and Int options for pure magi

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.