Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Blue Glow

Discussion in 'Release 35 Feedback Forum' started by Dariog, Oct 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dariog

Dariog Avatar

It would be nice to have the option to turn the blue glow of enchanted items off.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  2. Snikorts

Snikorts Avatar

Yeah, I dont see real need for this. 80% of us wear enchanted stuff and we have to look at this glittery glow all the time.

[​IMG]

Scraps MacMutt likes this.
  3. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

But the pulsing is Tron-like. Yeah, I could do without.

4. Hermetic

Hermetic Avatar

They have said a few or more times in various places that turning it off is not something that they will consider.
    They want it clear to others in pvp situations, for example, to be able to see that they are fighting someone with
    enchanted/masterworked gear.

5. Snikorts

Snikorts Avatar

Common, only noobs dont wear enchanted gear :)

6. redfish

redfish Avatar

As they shouldn't. If the enchantment effect really annoys people, they should make one that doesn't annoy people and replace it with that. Seriously, people... options for everything? Just make things better.

Nah, I fight all the time in basic gear bought from NPCs. :D

7. Audacity

Audacity Avatar

I agree with getting rid of the glow so hard. But if it really cannot be trashed, at least let us glow the color of our virtue score.

#ForeverRed

8. Net

Net Avatar

Or the virtue of crafter:)

Black Tortoise likes this.
  9. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Isn't the OP talking about the annoying as hell blue glow character freeze up on zone in and not the yellow armor enchants?

The virtue blue glow?

Which glow OP?

10. Net

Net Avatar

Well do not know about armour, my only enchanted item is wand and it is glowing blue now, was yellow last release.

11. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

Yellow glow changed to white/blue to be less... visually upsetting.

I long for the day of customizable enchant glows. I don't mind glowing, though I'd at least like it to go with the rest of my color scheme.

12. Net

Net Avatar

Would be really nice if the glow matched the color of the outfit:)

thoregundi and Audacity like this.
  13. Aord

Aord Avatar

Glow Dye recipies that would apply to enchanted items only. Crafters would be very happy :)

14. Dariog

Dariog Avatar

The glow of enchanted items.

15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Bring back the glowpiss!

Gatsu. likes this.
  16. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Who has said this? PVP'ers are too lazy just to right click and examine the armor. Take out this rediculous game mechanic and add something less obtrusive to everyone else that only benefits a select few. I want to see my craftsmanship, my Dyes and my color not some blue glow because of PVP.

17. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

I think it should be toned down for the following "realism/immersion" reason: in reality, the equivalent of a "masterworked" weapon doesnt always reveal itself until handled, and almost always requires training the eye on it to notice its craftsmanship in the first place. In other words, it doesnt shout at you - you have to choose to observe it.

To an untrained eye, all my swords look the same, except for maybe some obvious variances in blade thickness, hilt design, or number of edges. An untrained eye cant tell which is which from the following:

1) $30 sword that is actually weighted miraculously well and is a perfect length, and has a perfect degree of flexibility which makes it great for demonstration or style competition. You really dont often find crappy swords this good. Found at random martial arts market. Not sharpened for combat.

2) $100 sword that totally sucks, has really poor weighting and center of balance, and the craftsmanship of the hilt is so bad it makes me afraid to grip it. Online shopping "bargain". Sharp enough that itl cut your finger testing it if not careful. Probably not even made in a real weapons forge, but some Asian general steel products plant/factory.

3) $400 sword that is decent but a bit too heavy, weighting is slightly off but good enough. From a well known forge. Sharp enough to hurt, but not sharpened for combat.

4) $1000 sword that is all around great, from a prized, reputable forge, and if pitched battles were still a thing, Id put my faith in this sword. Combat sharp.

Nothing at all about these swords shouts "Im the masterworked one" or "Im the cheap one" or "Im the one that sucks." Someone with no knowledge of swords/swordfighting would not even know the difference picking them up either (other than some slight variances in condition allowing for assumptions about which I train with, and which just stay tucked away in the collection).

A trained eye would need to rest on the swords for a moment, then it would be obvious which is #2. A few more moments, and its obvious which is #1. Picking them up would reveal the differences in #3 and #4 as soon as you twirled them once or twice.

I could come up with many other anecdotes. Comparing ceremonial weapons for demo that are actually terrible for combat vs tactically modified medieval weapons to make them more suitable for modern urban environments vs junk you can get for $50 and under at a farmer's market, etc etc. A friend of mine has a Guan Dao (Chinese halberd...) that is tactically modified for speed and indoor use and has metal alloys that make it incredibly powerful, but it doesnt look that much fancier than a regular, combat ready (non ceremonial) Guan Dao.

So, the point is - weapons dont need to shout at you. In fact, they usually dont. You have to rest your eyes on them for a moment to think, "oh, that one looks nicer than the others." It can still go two ways from there, you could pick it up and immediately laugh at how poorly balanced it is, or how poor the metal quality is due to weight, etc. You could pick it up and get excited at how light and smooth and easy to control it feels. You need to handle it to judge its mastery. You cant judge master craftsmanship by looking at it alone.

So there isnt much of a need for big pulsing glows. Sure, I get it, "enchantment" and magic and all that. Make it more subtle - like a small gem the size of a ring on the hilt glows slightly. Or a rune carved into the tip (just a few pixels, not the whole blade) that glows a little bit. You have to focus your eyes and maybe zoom a bit, as its easy to miss if youre not trying. Something like that.

For master crafstmanship, same thing - you should at least have to really focus on the weapon to know. It shouldnt be this big pulsing CHECK ME OUT signal, but something that requires staring at for 3-4 seconds before the observer begins to think, "hey thats a cool looking weapon, I want to look at more of its details!"

Perhaps there should be, eventually, a craftable "ceremonial" version of most of the weapons, which has these (dare I say) gaudy glows. It can just be a nerfed version of the weapon it represents, and have all the sparkles and glows and whatnot.

I think regular, tactical, combat weapons can stand apart in terms of quality without being loud. "Rusted Sword" should look like a rusted hunk of scrap. "Iron Sword" should just be a dull grey boring blade. "Iron Sword + 7" should be a pretty nice looking sword, but really nothing that special. The master crafted sword looks much like the others, but if you look a bit longer, you notice inscriptions on the blade near the base, shinier and more streamlined fullering, interesting design around the handguard, and a fancy pommel. If you handnt chosen to pay attention, you might not have noticed the fancy sword.

Read this wiki section on how much detail Japanese blacksmiths would put into the fullering of a blade:

What makes a Masterwork stand out from the rest is details like that, above. You dont notice things like that skimming over a lot of things at once with your eyes. You need to focus on a master crafted item to know it is one.

No need for big goofy glows :)

18. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I love the new glow, and believe it should be shown and not able to be disabled. The old one was too yellow and too strong.

Black Tortoise likes this.
  19. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Also, its more beneficial, in terms of combat, to have a less "loud" weapon (in terms of it glowing, or being painted some contrasting color, etc). If anything, you want it subtle and easy to blend in. This is why you see tassels at the opposite ends of Chinese broadswords, and dangling off the tips of spears - so that your eyes focus on this big loud thing that is not the weapon, and that your eyes dont focus on the actual weapon.

So really its better for we warriors if our weapons dont glow. Makes it easier for our opponents to dodge/evade/block/disarm/etc.

-----

Though I agree with above - the blue is much better than yellow!

20. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

Why don't they just make a client side setting that allows you personally to turn off the glow if you don't like it? That way other players who don't have the setting selected can still see that your gear is enchanted/masterworked while also pleasing the player who doesn't like to see the glow.

Scraps MacMutt and Fister Magee like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.