Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

How do the Devs want us to play.. Steam?

Discussion in 'Release 35 Feedback Forum' started by Toadster, Oct 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

After last release with multiple complaints about the game client update taking way longer than needed. Comparisons with steam taking multiple hours less than the stand alone. I thought well maybe they would do something different this patch, well here's how it goes.

Get off work at 5pm start the update for the stand alone game client. It is now 9:30 pm two soccer practices and dinner later. And I am 75% downloaded.

Are the DEVs intentionally trying to push people to Steam? This does not work for me, and I really do not like steam.

Moiseyev Trueden and Aldo like this.
  2. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

It's not that they intentionally sabotage their network bandwidth, so people can go use Steam. It's just that Steam has multiple data centers to balance the request. For regular client, you're under the mercy of P2P file sharing for most of the time.

Moiseyev Trueden, Leelu and Kabalyero like this.
  3. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Unless you refuse to use P2P as many of us do. Are you saying P2P is as slow as standalone download?

4. manufacturedsoul

manufacturedsoul Avatar

I patched using steam in 5 minutes soon as it was live. I only play using Steam it is superior to regular loader in literally every way. Not sure why people wouldn't want to use it kinda silly.

MrBlight and uhop like this.
  5. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

P2p would be subjected to how much bandwidth other people "nearby" are willing to put on the upload if there are any at all. If only one person turn P2P on, then it wouldn't really do anything either. The direct download from server only will be even slower.

Leelu likes this.
  6. khalum

khalum Avatar

In the SOTA downloads folder there is a .torrent file for whichever update you are working on. Much faster that way. Much faster. Then drop the completed, torrented file in that same directory.

7. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

The fact that most turn off the P2P upload because they don't understand how it works is one of the reasons it is so slow. I think they were hoping the P2P would take some of the burden off the server. If everyone left on the P2P upload bits of the file can be retrieved from anyone who has the file and is willing to upload and the server does not take the brunt of it. The more peers hosting the file the more speed you get out of P2P.
    As fo intent, yes at this point I don't see them fixing or putting money into this system, so I am wondering if the end goal is to get rid of the stand alone client and go 100% through steam.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  8. Thrives

Thrives Avatar

I think there might be something wrong with the game internal torrent client. Just using any other torrent client with and the speeds are much faster. Maybe something to check out there?

Rampage202 likes this.
  9. Nolove 0369

Nolove 0369 Avatar

Face it there CHEAP,
    There building a game as cheap as possible, and we the backers pay the price in more ways then one.
    So when they sell it out, they make as much profit as possible, basic business concept.

dreamlarp likes this.
  10. Blackheath

Blackheath Avatar

If you like using Steam, go for it. I won't try to dissuade you. But please don't call me silly for not wanting to use it. I find patching with the torrent file quick and easy, so that's not an issue for me. The main reason I do not use Steam is because I see it as an unnecessary extra layer, and I don't want to sign up for what I see as a redundant service.

11. manufacturedsoul

manufacturedsoul Avatar

Didn't say you were silly said it was silly not to use it! Not to mention getting upset over the word silly is silly as well! The extra layer from Steam is well worth it Steam is a very solid product! I'll never play SotA outside of Steam unless Steam stops supporting it. If you haven't tried it then honestly you don't know what you're talking about. It's much much better!

12. Nhili Dragon

Nhili Dragon Avatar

There are many things about steam I cannot stand. So I will never use it. Others can and do so this is only my opinion.

13. manufacturedsoul

manufacturedsoul Avatar

Like what?

14. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

R35
    Steam download and install = 5 mins
    SOTA Patcher = 4.5 hours.

manufacturedsoul likes this.
  15. Blackheath

Blackheath Avatar

Disagreeing with you and objecting to something you said does not equal 'upset'. I think my original post was pretty neutral in tone. So fear not, you did not upset me.

In what way, aside from patching, is it better to use Steam?

16. manufacturedsoul

manufacturedsoul Avatar

Steam patches super fast, It has a great screenshot cataloging feature, It tracks your time in game, It has shroud achievements that you can unlock, Its a great place to read reviews on the game, it shows you metrics on how many are playing the game, has an easy way to read notes about the game for each release right on the games page, you can configure the game to play with a controller, The list goes on man. It's literally superior in every way plus you can get other great games for sale at prices that are pretty awesome.

17. Blackheath

Blackheath Avatar

Well, I have to say I find none of that compelling. But thanks for the reply.

Nhili Dragon likes this.
  18. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Easier friend communication.. forums and reviews.. Voice chat.. etc etc

. Its no secret the download time off the client is redicoulous. But knowing theres better/quicker options, id rather they put that money and time into other things.

EMPstrike likes this.
  19. manufacturedsoul

manufacturedsoul Avatar

LOL. Were you standing on top of a bridge with a club in your hand while you typed that on your cell? :p

20. Psylent

Psylent Avatar

I used to have the game client. Now I only use steam. Out of convenience. I patched in less than 2 minutes. Click the button to see what's new and a page insta pops for me to read. I also have a bunch of other games purchased through steam anyhow. Witcher 3, dragon age incquisition, etc. I also like to see how many hours of each game I've played and shoot my other friends messages through the client when not in game. The install has no impact on game performance or frames per second drop. I used to think that it might and that's why I didn't used to use it before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.