Game system changes for R35

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chris, Oct 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Randbo

Randbo Avatar

read @Chris closely, DECAY IS NOT DEATH TAX LOSS. decay is continuous. death tax is a one time application per death. the detail was about the percentage and how it accrued over 4 hours and whether or not you take a .01% hit on your second and third death in like 15 minutes.

read the word DECAY.

2. moko

moko Avatar

My reading comprehension tells me something else. "What is decay? When players die they will lose a tiny fraction of the experience off of all their skills." clearly it applies only on death.

lollie and Matt Harris like this.
  3. Lysippe

Lysippe Avatar

firstly you have to fix the game performance , i freeze at the beginning, you just focus on harder and harder the game playing , same place ,same monsters everywhere, same thing everytime and really getting bored this game! i dont want most realizm i want play a stable game, you are really good making unnecessary changes!

lollie likes this.
  4. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

And on the other end of the spectrum, I do not experiencethe instability your alluding too. I love the constant improvements going on as we head to launch. I want a good deep game with challenges, and to me they are heading in a great direction. *shrug*

5. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Are you extremely confused? the decay amount does go up, but it is not applied to your skills UNTIL death. So don't die, and you'll be fine.

moko likes this.
  6. Bob Brave

Bob Brave Avatar

@Randbo: Are you saying that decay over time is already implemented and decay on death is an additional penalty rather than a replacement? If so, that is absolutely fine with me , apologize for the confusion and go back to my cave.
    Can someone confirm that?

7. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

It works as I described in my other post.. I have only experienced decay when dying. Don't die, and no decay will ever touch you.

8. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

It definitely only gets applied if/when you die. And the timer runs whether you are logged in or not.

You also are in total control over where the xp comes from. If you have your skills set to train or maintain the xp will come out of your pool, so as long as you maintain a pool of at least 0.04% of your total allocated xp, you won't lose any skill points.

Plus you will never lose anything unless a skill is over level 40 for tier 2+ and over level 20 for tier 1. After that point the amount of effectiveness between one level to the next keeps getting smaller and smaller.

So for example, if somebody was at level 85 and then it dropped back to 84 the effects would almost be unnoticeable in regular play.

The one thing to keep in mind is the 5th glyph you get at level 80. As the first 4 are earned at level 40 or less you can never lose those. But it is theoretically possible if you got a skill right up to 80 and then didn't allow yourself any xp buffer AND had the 5th glyph used in your deck, then dying and going from 80 to 79 could cause significant disruption.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  9. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

There is no "decay" unless you die. Perhaps not the best word choice... however if you are just standing there in game your skills DO NOT decay. What happens is that you will accumulate a potential xp loss of up to 0.04% of your total applied xp that will get applied the next time you die, according to the manner of your choosing.

As I mentioned previously, a player who is adventuring in an area higher than they can handle and who is dying all the time, but still making some kills, will still likely have a net GAIN of xp... it will just be more like 25%-50% of what they would have gained, were there no skill decay upon death.

Also, I wouldn't expect a confirmation from @Chris as he stated he is juggling a million things at once. Devs don't have time to come in here and restate what was said before. However they DO read the forums... especially threads like this one and WOULD correct me if I were significantly wrong here. :)

10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I'm continually surprised by the number of people that complain about this without actually bothering to read about it first. You do not loose skill or experience or anything else for not playing. You don't loose skill or experience even while playing. When you die is when you loose a small portion of experience. That experience first comes from skills that are marked as "unlearning" (red double down arrow), "not training" (minus) and your experience pool. Only after the experience from those three places are completely exhausted will experience then be taken from skills marked as "maintaining" (brown up arrow) and "training" green up arrow.

Note that skills marked as "unlearning" and "not training" will only degrade to the minimum level required for skills below them.

Laurana, Snazz and moko like this.
  11. dreamlarp

dreamlarp Avatar

Please understand that gamer's are in fact planners. You have said this many time in many postmortums and posts and you have to understand that players need to plan out what they are doing. This type of game that characters progress we need to know the best way to do this. As long as you continue to see things from this point of view then you will have a disconnect with your backers.

lollie, Deadly Habit and Preachyr like this.
  12. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

That's unfortunately about all it's useful for. As an "Oh sh*t! button for running away assuming you still have focus left to take the hits for you. Which still makes it a poorly designed skill considering it's the one skill that gives you a boost to your Air Attunement which generally is meant to make you more offensively stronger than to be used for running away.

At level 100 in the skill with all Air gem socketed gear on, it has a 0.8 focus transfer ratio. This means taking a 100 damage hit will take away 80 of your focus. This means against low level enemies that don't often hit for much, it's usable. But against anything in 4 or 5 skull areas (particularly archers which hit for high damage and attack frequently), you're going to be taking enough damage to blow through your focus in seconds with Shield of Air on.

If it were reasonably possible to get Shield of Air above level 150 or so, it might actually start becoming useful. Around that level, I'd assume the focus transfer ratio would be somewhere around 0.5 or 0.6. At level 200 it might be around 0.3 or 0.4. Which would reduce the amount of damage to your focus enough that it could become useful. But unfortunately it takes an exorbitant amount of XP to get to that level to the point that it's nearly impossible without a year or more of playtime just focusing on one single skill.

lollie and Rada Torment like this.
  13. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

How about the +20 focus/tick from Etheric Feedback? (or whatever it is called) Should give the shield a little more longevity with other forms of regen.

Absolutely loving it now that it's fixed.

14. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

When you've released the game many people will do that. In the meantime, in Early Access, if you want us to test stuff effectively then you have to explain how that stuff works.

15. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

there is one shield to rule them all in my opinion now, and it aint immolation.

16. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

get your melee builds out cuz they can stack health and str, and wizards cant stack squat, limited to shield of ice? so what i have 1000 health.

17. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

R34 = Didn't care about dying at all... sometimes would on purpose to get health and focus back
    R35 = Care about dying and am trying not to as often... added excitement

This is a net positive, people :).

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
    Snazz, Albus, NRaas and 3 others like this.
  18. Uncle Sven

Uncle Sven Avatar

I know I am late to the party, but it seems to me that Death Shield grants no attunement bonus. Thought you ought to know, as " The shield spells in each group were supposed to also grant an attunement bonus" ...

Fister Magee, Snazz and lollie like this.
  19. lollie

lollie Avatar

Yep, until Death Shield gives us an attunement bonus Death Shield needs to remain stackable with other shields @Chris

Fister Magee and Snazz like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.