I would like decay if....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brass Knuckles, Oct 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

For the record I support hardcaps.

The only reason why I cant get past the decay system is I dont know exactly what the impact was. I want to know what was hit and how hard.

Add this please @Chris .

2. null2

null2 Avatar

EDIT: This is only for all the Strategy trees, this document only sums up those trees in its subtotal at the bottom: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...lHowOzRbsnpkkAha2_-7kOFLYQ/edit#gid=380629855

Here are some quick calculations that may give you an idea of the impact.

If you are lvl 100 then your max xp lost will be about 63k over all your skills.

If you are level 120 it will be 424k max xp.

If you are level 200 it will be 864k max xp lost

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
    lollie, moko, Govenor Ruin and 2 others like this.
  3. danjacobsmith

danjacobsmith Avatar

A GM in every single adventure skill is only 63k? Are you sure?

If that's true it's way too low. I can solo 63k in about 20 minutes if I push hard for it.

So this system won't even pinch much with 150 GM skills. Crazy really.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  4. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Good info to be sure, but im looking for exact info for every death. i want look at combat log and see I lost x amount of exp.

That way I can easy figure out what that single death cost me in time to make it up.

lollie, Audacity and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  5. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

And that sums up the problem with decay in a nut shell. Starts out super useless. They will up it and then casuals will complain. Current design is ineffective to everyone atm. Future design will be ineffective to those its supposed to be stopping.

lollie likes this.
  6. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

The more they delay setting skill delay the harder it will be and the more complainers they will have with rage quiting.

Like most things in this game and the failed idea of crowd sourced development is that this is a fundamental feature of the game yet in alpha it was not present and now there are tons of people who played this game without it and will freak out when it really comes in like it should be.

7. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

If you took my post as a complaint then you missed the point, all I want to be able to do is manage my decay. Not a unreasonable request, just give me the hard facts of my cost and I can sort the rest.

Zader and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  8. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

Decay accumulates over 4 hours without death. Each hour is 0.01% of your total XP applied to each skill. At 4 hours without a death, you would be at 0.04% decay. Meaning if you only had 1 million XP applied to all your skills, then you would lose 0.0004 * 1,000,000 = 400 XP. So all they really need to add is a way to see how much XP you have applied to your skills. If you were to die and then die again 2 hours later, then you would lose 0.0002 * TotalAppliedXP = XPLostToDecay.

Say it takes 1.5 million XP to reach GM level in any skill (just for example). If you had 100 skills at GM level then you would lose 100 * 1,500,000 * 0.0004 = 60,000 XP at a max decay level of 0.04%.

9. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

That math is all fine and dandy, I want the game to do that for me and provide me that data in my combat log. I dont wanna do advanced mathmatics every time I die.

Im not sure why this very simple request is so difficult grasp, its a no brainer thing really.

Mock combat log entry:
    U died U lost x xp from your pool and x from aimed shot etc.

lollie, Raistlyn, FrostII and 2 others like this.
  10. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

I think its a great idea. It would also help confirm if they are counting exact time or rounding up. Sadly, the devs seem to like us not knowing things which is very frustrating. Hopefully @Umuri can update the SotA HUD to reflect that information at some point.

lollie and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  11. Umuri

Umuri Avatar

The only data my HUD knows is what's in the chatlog, so unless devs put in a message, or some way for me to pull a character dump (what skills you have at what level) at some point, i can't do much.

However.... I could do a rough skill decay calculator based on your level. Wherein you do a /stats and it says "On every death, you'll lose on average xxx exp". But it won't be entirely accurate, since it will assume you've applied all skill you've earned and not lost any, so probably say accurate to +/- 10% for the near future?

Would that help?

12. Vaentorian

Vaentorian Localization Team

Sounds like a good idea for a feature, but I would prefer it to be optional if it does get implemented, there's already enough junk in my log without adding this information on every death which I personally wouldn't find useful.

@Govenor Ruin on one occasion I did get a note that a skill had dropped to the level below, but the reduction is so low that most times this doesn't happen. I'm not sure you would notice the difference even if you were monitoring the progress bars in the skill menu as it's so small.

13. Umuri

Umuri Avatar

So, just did some back of the napkin calculations for you:
    Assumptions:
    Skill decay is 0.0001 per hour, from https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=64882#System
    Skill decay maxes at 0.0004, after 4 hours, from https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=64882#System

A player has applied most of their experience into skills, so decay amount will be loosely based off their level (total exp gained).

Given those assumptions:

A level 80 player has roughly 17 million exp. Which means, 1 hour of decay is roughly 1700 experience. Their 4 hour max would be ~6.7k
    A level 90 player has roughly 43 million exp.Which means, 1 hour of decay is roughly 4300 experience. Their 4 hour max would be ~17.5k
    A level 100 player has roughly 113 million exp. Which means, 1 hour of decay is roughly 11000 experience. Their 4 hour max would be ~45.5k

Now, a reminder: GMing a 1x skill (most basic skills are 1x, more advanced are 3-4x, and the stat skills are 10x), costs 1.2 million exp.
    If we assume for every gm skill, you have 4 non gm skills around 70-80 (not unreasonable), then that means you use roughly 3 mil exp per gm skill a character "normally" has.
    Now once you pass 12 gms or so this falls off, but use it as a rough guide:
    So:
    6 gms, 18 mil exp, level 80 player, ~2k per hour
    13 gms, 39 mil exp, level 89 player, ~4k per hour
    35 gms, 105 mil exp, level 98 player, ~10k per hour

lollie, FrostII, moko and 2 others like this.
  14. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

I think that should cover a fair amount of the concern for people wanting this.

Govenor Ruin likes this.
  15. Knightguy

Knightguy Avatar

I would like decay if... they got rid of it.;)

16. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

It might depend on your skill level and how much you notice it is, I am courious how many skills do you have over 120 or 100. ive died a couple of time but was unable to check my pool before I died. however a friend on his first r35 death lost a skill point at 120 to 119 and he lost a 100 to 99 hence providing these numbers you can see how it impacts you per instance.

I do belive decay or hardcaps are needed, just if ur gonna hit me with decay u better show me what that hit is.

17. null2

null2 Avatar

That was incorrect, yes. Those numbers were actually for Adventurer level 100, 120, 150 and 200.

Here are the corrected numbers for what I was saying.

If you have GM in every skill you can expect about 215k max xp decay
    If you have 120 in every skill you can expect about 1.44 million xp decay max
    If you have 150 in every skill, 25 million
    If you have max in every skill it is 2.9 billion xp 2,950,853,533

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.