Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

I think the xp decay thing is a really dumb idea

Discussion in 'Release 35 Feedback Forum' started by peetaur, Oct 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Have you read about all the bans lately for such actions? Food for thought.

Moiseyev Trueden and Gaelis like this.
  2. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

haha lollie that is your best post ever

lollie likes this.
  3. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

How is 4 hours of death calculated? it goes by percentage of what? Total XP gained from your character beginning so the higher your character is the higher the 4 hours is worth in XP right?

4. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

I don't think XP farming was driving bans as much as resource farming. AFK farming a few million XP doesn't break the game, but AFK mining 50,000 silver ore is another matter entirely.

Either way, I'm not ib a rush to do it, but a patient enough individual certainly could, and the key point I was making is that lower levEl areas still provide decent XP, it just takes longer and you have to horde and spend instead of growing organically.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  5. Filter Bubble Algorithm

Filter Bubble Algorithm Avatar

o_O
    Pvp doesnt give exp... they do just as much, if not more, than pve to get to the same place as everyone else... except they do it with the threat of violence if they are in MOmode

How is this exclusive? Like I said, they do just as much if not more... unless flagging for pvp completely restricts crafting and content exploration....o_O which it doesnt,...

Seriously?? Please reread this... I never knew flagging for pvp gives you express permission to afk leech... How is this a pvp only thing again?!! How do you come to the idea that someone who is flagged pvp isnt risking their life in "tough battles"??? Where does it say that a flagged player doesnt do any content?? Am I missing something here?!?!?!

Are you oblivious to the fact that a PvPer can/needs to do as much PvE as anyone else?

But I digress, Im sure a lot of other pvpers will never agree with me but I personally think the death penalty should be across the board, flagged or unflagged, no excuses, same for everyone, so in a sense, I agree with you, but your points just dont make sense.

p.s.: If death penalty does make it across the board, people shouldnt be allowed to flagged on another player in the open world, they should be forced to visit the oracle for permission.

6. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Not true, just makes leveling take longer. It may get to the point where killing something accounts for 1 skill use before sucking it dry, but it will keep going up ad naseum.

7. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

We have to start calling you Nancy Lock now :)

8. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Everything can be locked so all EXP goes to pool In an area that is safe for your level. 4 hours of accumulated decay will only take so much and only when you die. This mechanic has exploited written all over it, and will lead to an imbalance in the game until it is either increased to a point that it will kill the player base or taken out and replaced with something else.

which honestly if they built this deminishing returns and the deck system right. Which it really looks like they did there is no need for a cap on skills. The deck system will limit what is usable, people will eventually after years and years and years have every skill but only be able to use a few at a time. Someone coming in can raise enough to build a deck quickly to compete and then work on their versatility with other decks and builds.

9. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Supposedly by 1/10th of 1% per hour up to a max of 1/10th of 4%. Based on your applied experience per skill.

So if you put 40,000 exp into 1 skill you would have decay for 16 pts after 4 hours.

10. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

.. not seeing why anyones complaining about the death decay..
    3 things -
    Im advv level 75 or 80 or around there.. so 5 gms or so.. one being taming.. and about 15 others in the 90s. lol
    a death took me a whopping.. 10 min to get the exp back. Its literally ignorable.
    I can farm 250k -300k exp in a couple hours.. loosing 10k on my death (if that?) was laughable.

If this is the only thing thats put into play to prevent me from taking everything up to at least 100 / gm.. then everone should and will be godlike characters who can play any role by switching their deck and swapping out there gear.
    Its so ... gross.. to play a game where i can put my heavy armor on, and tank.. then when my bro comes on, stop at bank, grab a wand, and suddenly im a death/fire mage.. then when other 2 guys are on, i switch gear again and im a DPS archer..

So.. basically.. illl make 1 deck and gear set for pvp. (obviiously mage with pure pvp based skills). Another for solo farming bosses, Another for playing group healer, and another for low level farming.
    ... guess thats exciting? Honestly, this is 3 months in since wipe.. in 3 months from now, there wont b a single person i play with who wont be able to completly and successfully run any role in a group with their god like characters.
    Can literally alter your role completly for what your fighting.. Oh skelitons today? Good thing all of us have minimum 100 points in banish undead!!
    Oh fire elementals? Sweet we all got ice fist maxed anyways.
    Earth eles? Dont worry (i dunno death) We all got max death magic!!
    Lol... / easy mode.

At least theres no need to ever worry about implementing multi character accounts?
    Shoulda just gone with hard caps. Its a system that works for a reason.

PS: i think i die like once or twice a week solo.. maybe once or twice in a group if we doing risky stuff, but already without things even being clear, its harder and harder to convince people to do tougher stuff. So Yaaaay to only doing super safe things because the ONLY limit in the game is not paying attention and dieing =P ( and even then its pretty much ignorable if your in middle of a grind )

And as for PVP, with or without decay effecting PVP deaths.. it kills PVP even more.
    Were you a tank build up till now? Too bad.
    Archer? Blah.
    Might as well go level up the 6 key skills that outpower any other skills when in pvp, and be ready to match up to people doing EXACTLY the same thing. Soo not impressed that this is the long term - skill controlling game plan.
    High armor tank? Dont worry about it. You and every single person ever to set foot in PVP will have GM silent movement. Stealth is no longer for sneaky , squishy burst dmg characters!!

11. Filter Bubble Algorithm

Wall of text... for hard caps?

Hard caps = cookie cutters and fotm

Have fun with your friends when they are all identical builds because the game isn't balanced rockpaperscissors.

12. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

Don't like reading do you? or is it just the comprehension part you have trouble with?

Everyone able to max every skill leads to everyone having all the same skills and decks, much more so than hard caps would. But regardless, his post was not pushing hardcaps but explaining why the current setup is extremely lacking. Got anything to add to that part of it?

13. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Yikes thought i made my point pretty dummy proof.

So pvp will be everyone running the exact same deck. every single person wll take the obvious pvp focused skills.
    Stealth is going to be mandatory.. why woudlnt every single person run silent movemnt? chain lightning? obsid arrow? etc etc.
    There will be a dragon killer deck for solo.
    A troll killing deck.
    A skeli / undead deck.
    Etc.
    This will be also cookie cutter, and no better then hard caps.
    Least hard caps is straight to the point, and not hidjng behind 6 months of green griding before realizig everyone will be at same point. ( is my point ).
    The death being only cap atm.. has already shown its just turning people off doing anything risky. Its doing more dmg then good. which is annoying because they DO need some kind of cap.

Clearer for you?

14. uhop

uhop Avatar

Because they would be dead, duh!

Is there any other meaningful death besides being dead, at least virtually in the game?

15. Filter Bubble Algorithm

That isnt cookie cutter/fotm...
    And ill explain cause I know you wont get it...

Hard caps is a limitation, the way it is now, doesnt have limitation. That means that you cannot have cookie cutter, that just means you need to balance the game... a game THAT ISNT RELEASED YET AND ISNT FINISHED.

Nothing limits me from tweeking my deck atm, meaning that your idea of cookie cutter isnt the same as mine.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  16. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

This is the foot in the door. As you mention below this is a minor inconvenience and does not accomplish its goal. So by letting it in now and settling it will be ramped up to accomplish its goal. And if it is enough to cap a power gamer it will cripple the rest of the player base.

Dumb system.... That will not work.

MrBlight, lollie and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  17. Filter Bubble Algorithm

I read, you just seem to be pissed for some unknown reason.

"Everyone able to max every skill leads to everyone having all the same skills and decks, much more so than hard caps would."

No

18. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

...Yes

everyone can max all skills... so what exactly in your mind is stopping fotm builds? What is preventing there from being a clear "best" PVP deck that everyone must run to be competitive?

19. FireLotus

FireLotus Royal Bard & Master Dabbler Dev Emeritus

This thread has devolved into circular squabbling, not productive discussion. As such, this thread is now being locked.

Lord Barugon, Senash Kasigal and uhop like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.