Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

This should be simple: No sell

Discussion in 'Release 35 Feedback Forum' started by Poor game design, Oct 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I want decoration mode to be completely removed and instead we would need to hold a modifier key (shift or control) in order to initiate dragging a placed decoration.

underbutler, Jivalax Azon and Net like this.
  2. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

@Black Tortoise nope, only ever played with a few of the game builders... realized game making wasnt for me. But hey, I will *bet* you that Portalarium is FULL of people who have written 3d games. And know how to do it well, they seem dedicated. and they chose that job. So.... I think *they* can do it. My job is to play, and comment as I please. Thank you

THE HENDOMAN

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  3. Pikegirl

Pikegirl Avatar

Exactly. RIP wands n armor due to no such option.

4. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

my Axe of necromancy... :( :( :(

maybe just automatically exclude from vending all CRAFTED WEAPONS

5. 3devious

3devious Avatar

Or people can just buy a game that is not made by people who couldn't be arsed to build functionality that is in the most simple of them. Real world responsibility is taking millions of dollars and making better design and interface decisions than you would see on some open source effort.

6. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

There certainly needs to be a "Quality of Life" update, and hopefully soon.

underbutler likes this.
  7. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I have to agree here (even tho I would like this feature myself). I'm pretty careful about selling and I've yet to accidentally sell anything. I'm sure something like this will be added eventually, but so many bigger issues need to be addressed before these time consuming little bells and whistles go in. And hey when you accidentally sell a +10, just tell yourself it's a gold sink and your just helping out!

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

8. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

There are plenty of issues, big and small. To think of this as 'bells and whistles' is silly, however. There are certain levels of expectation that people have in a game released in 201x. I think it's important that these kinds of quality of life updates are made before the game is officially pushed by Port as 'released' and gets many new eyeballs hit it, new eyeballs with fresh wallets who we need to keep the game from becoming stagnant.

9. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I agree, but my opinion is this should be put on the back burner. You can easily avoid the problem yourself by simply paying attention to what you are doing. At this moment in development, I would hope the devs time would be used for more pressing issues.

10. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

What, exactly, is this moment of development? We keep getting the schedule for release pushed out, which means they are really trying to get it going. What is the expected date now? Early 2017? That's just around the corner.

11. Womby

Womby Avatar

It's called efficiency. Which is more efficient? A small amount of code written by a developer, or every player having to constantly guard against accidentally selling or deleting a +9 item that took a huge amount of resources to create?
    Accidental sale or destruction of player crafted items is a very real problem, and the most efficient solution to that problem is the best solution.

12. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

In this post, I suggested a way to implement locking items in the inventory (to prevent accidental sales, salvage, trade, etc).

Until there is a way to lock items in the inventory, here is the work-around that I use:
    I put all the items I do not want to sell in a backpack called "valuables". You cannot sell anything in the backpack unless you open the backpack.
    If I have a bunch of weapon loot I want to sell, I open the main inventory, click on the equipment tab, and sell all the stuff in the list (the stuff in the backpack does not appear on the list!).
    All of the valuables in my backpack remain in my inventory (and safe from accidental sales).
    I have a bunch of backpacks, including ones for reagents, scrolls, COTO, Equip-ables (pets,clothes,jewelry,pipe etc).
    As long as all my more valuable items are in the backpacks, I am much less likely to accidentally sell them.

Sue D Nim, The Hendoman and Net like this.
  13. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Exactly my point, not a lot of time left. But to argue that this specific thing needs to be put in right now seems silly to me. This specific feature isn't going to keep anyone here and the lack of it isn't going to scare ppl away. I like it and of course would use it, but like I said before it's completely unnecessary at this moment in time.

Pay attention and there is no issue at all.

14. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I think my point is that if the players aren't already here, then they may be of the group that needs a more polished experience. If you present the game to them without many of things that come standard in player experience for today's games, then they may be turned off forever.

By itself, sure, maybe item locking is not a big deal. But as a collection of UX things including stacking and the NPC chat system, it's important to have them done.

Adam Crow likes this.
  15. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Can't argue with that! And as you can probably tell, I like to argue haha. I think we are pretty much on the same page here.

LoneStranger likes this.
  16. underbutler

underbutler Avatar

Needs to protect against salvaging, because i nearly group salvaged some enchanted equipment as well

Everything about this thread

17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Arguing against good design is not helping this game. Also, using insulting language like "personal responsibility" and "hold your hand" is a crutch and doesn't validate your arguments.

Sue D Nim likes this.
  18. meadmoon

meadmoon Avatar

If that was implemented, then "sell all" could come as well. Much easier on the mouse clicks.

Adam Crow likes this.
  19. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I highlight the first item to sell with my mouse and while holding the shift go to the last item and drag them to the vendor. That is not a lot of mouse clicks ;)

20. Lord Lew

Lord Lew Avatar

Insulting language?
    Need me to send you a virtual tissue?

Good design is one thing, holding your hand on every single aspect of the game is another. I continually hear people stressing immersion, so why is this different. If your in a rush and lose your favorite item to the salvage option, maybe you should just slow down rather than cry for a re-design of a system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.