Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Mid-Tier Masterworking and Enchantment

Discussion in 'Release 35 Feedback Forum' started by Browncoat Jayson, Nov 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Snikorts, majoria70 and LoneStranger like this.
  2. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

A penalty, as you stated, could involve a permanent loss of durability rather than an automatic blow-up. Especially on the first enchant levels.

Like maybe when your %to succeed is above 50% the failure is not as catastrophic as when your chance to succeed is below 50%.

3. Browncoat Jayson

The penalty might even scale based on the plus being "lost". So first enchant failed might be -10 durability, second is -20, etc. If it does pass the "minimum" durability thing, then it explodes.

majoria70 and LoneStranger like this.
  4. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

I approve of this message. :)

5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I really like your idea Browncoat Jayson. I hope they will do something like this.

Browncoat Jayson likes this.
  6. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

Didn't I hear in the R35 Post Mortem that they're seriously considering making MW and Enchanting have a chance to decrease max durability on failure instead of out-right destroy?

Numa and Browncoat Jayson like this.
  7. Browncoat Jayson

Yep, that was my question, and I pointed them back here. I'm happy that this is an option. Thanks @DarkStarr!

8. Theonetheonly

Theonetheonly Avatar

Maybe add a new top-tier passive glyph in the production group, allowing for precision in master-crafting. If you succeed the master working check, you get one of 3 beneficial boons applied to the weapon with a base of 5/10/20 durability cost as is today. The precision check would be used to modify that - say from 3/6/11 durability on critical success to 10/20/40 durability on critical failure. On a masterwork failure, you still have a base 10 durability penalty (or 5 for little bits, or 20 for chest pieces) also modified by this precision glyph's success/failure. So a well crafted (+1) chest piece (200 durability) might get anywhere from 0 (worst case) to 18 (best case) augments/enchants on it....

Of course the odds against that best case happening are pretty amazingly horrid...

9. Browncoat Jayson

What I'd like to see eventually is for high skill in Masterwork/Enchanting to expand the selection window. Currently, you only get three choices, but those choices expand quite a lot when you add in the masterwork specialization skills and socketed gems. I'd like to see it start at three, and expand up to six (at 120 skill), so you can better customize the gear people are wanting.

It would be nice if there was a way to influence the randomness as well, say adding a Bear Paw gives a 10% better chance to draw Strength effects.

But for now, just having the whole thing not explode would be wonderful.

Snazz and LoneStranger like this.
  10. Numa

Numa Avatar

This is actually more realistic. When a master swordsmith makes a katana- and he isn't at his best - the end result is a sword that any samurai would be happy to wield though a lord might turn up his nose at it.

The only rare time it really breaks is when the mastersmith is so disappointed in his work that he destroys the sword himself:)

[​IMG]

LoneStranger likes this.
  11. TarrNokk

TarrNokk Avatar

Imo the penalty must be harder than just -10 durability. I would say every failed attempt reduces durability by 50%. Masterwork should be what the name tells: Work from Masters. Which must be rare. Even the best workers can craft the best gear.

Lord Ravnos likes this.
  12. uhop

uhop Avatar

It MW has failed, it is not an MW item --- as simple as that. It wasn't before, it isn't now. No need to destroy it.

In general I don't see why a master cannot improve any item, even MW one. There is a COTO repair controversy --- maybe the master armorer can completely heal an item without COTO. Maybe we should be able (at high level) to add a durability too. Why not? Just more work from a master + more ingredients.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.