Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Learning recipies - or the lack of

Discussion in 'Release 36 Dev+ Feedback Forum' started by liz_the_wiz, Nov 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chirp

Chirp Avatar

Being able to discover the recipes is a really distinguishing feature. Removing that, and having to buy all those expensive recipes (see dozens of variations of the same recipe) is an aggression against the players!
    Sorry, but again a release that makes the whole thing (cannot call it a game anymore, a game is for recreation) a burden. Can't express how frustrated I am by now.

2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Ahhh sorry @Chirp imagine doing this since Nov 2013, this is nothing, ummm well something to you. I am not devaluing your opinion ;) There has to be trial and error in a game in development. It is truly a different mind-set needed to carry on. Many of us have very thick skins by now ;)
    edited
    I don't think they will take away what you already have, it didn't sound that way :)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  3. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Yeah. Well . No.
    I am not a big fan of the discovering system either but this isn't the solution.

Mishikal likes this.
  4. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

none of that made sense.

5. dp_dropout

dp_dropout Avatar

Why am I not surprised.

6. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I don't know, you are used to not making sense? The recipes are a purchase once, use forever item. On top of that somebody else can teach it to you for free. If you want to make something, obtain the recipe for it. Don't try to learn every recipe in the game on day one. The oracle gives you 500 gold a day and killing a handful of bandits will pay for a recipe. If you don't want to buy stuff of other players, don't. It doesn't change the fact that every player in the game should not be able to craft every recipe in the game.

7. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

What happens to the recipes I have in my inventory (unused) that become drop or quest only?

Solazur likes this.
  8. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

Ive given a beggar coin (a few beggars in fact), Ive killed a faun, and Ive given my name to many NPCs.. have I dont many quests, no, that I grant you because I got as far as ardois and the quest kinda died because I it wanted me to go to a much higher rated zone than I can even handle even now, so, Im wandering around farming mats to raise some crafting skills.. Are my crafting skills high? no.. cos Im hording for when I can sit down and actually do these things

Back on the original subject

Im a casual player, sure, I do spend as much time as I can in game, and I do want to do lots of cool and amazing things, the reality is right now, I can handle 2-3 skeles in deep ravenswood as long as they arent hitting me.. moment they hit me, Im kinda toast.. so, 5 skulls is a bit high, but 4 didnt really give me an xp gain.. Im farming ore, wood, plants, and animals, hording it all away... I improvised after hearing I only needed granite, rope and a bucket and found how to make a well, so I did now my greenhouse (which I also made) has a water source of cheapness.. that darn greenhouse nearly wiped out all my supplies!!

Id rather that the success of an unknown recipe was low, and that you stood a chance of loosing key materials, 250 in gold per marginal change in ingredients seems far too high, and yes, if you can get 500 from the oracle thats 2 recipes a day, which is a start, but its 2, amongst anything else you need to buy.. not everyone is rich, making your own gear should be something, even if its poor gear we can all try and do..

lollie likes this.
  9. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

A F'n men... wish I could give you a stack of up votes..

along with the idiocy of repairs one wonder who is smoking what? I mean.. this is supposed to be a game where all the stuff is player driven... so why keep screwing crafters?

Of course... for those wanting the "bump" we have the race to release to learn all the recipes via the outgoing "discovery"

lollie and Weins201 like this.
  10. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

providing you have enough mats/cash to buy more mats etc to do just that..

I dont mind if I had to buy "how to make cloth armor" or "leather armor" .. etc, but 250 for a cloth hat, 250 for a slightly different hat, 250 for a leather hat..

11. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

quiet as it's kept (or not) the discovery method ain't exactly cheap either... cost of fuel has me broke...
    On the plus side... I Haven't had this much Prod XP in a long assed time.

lollie and Mishikal like this.
  12. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Seriously given the massive pain to gather components and the costs of fuels and the virtual impossibility of gathering certain types of scraps, I don't see what problem this change is trying to fix, unless the goal is just to force players to spend 250g/recipe as a way to eliminate gold from the game. And given it takes me hours to make a few thousand gold, the only thing this change does is put me off the game entirely.

Solazur, Scraps MacMutt and lollie like this.
  13. Dragon Slayer

Dragon Slayer Avatar

In my opinion, what it is trying fix, is the fact that there are those who contributed a lot of money. These people are also the ones that probably play 8 to 16 hours a day, have every recipe, and are very upset because they are not getting business in the game to make them as rich as they are in real life. These people probably have a lot of GM skills and are just about able to solo everything in the game.
    The amazing thing to me is that I knew this day would come from the very beginning. I told some friends that if things do not change, then everyone will know every recipe and the concept of the player economy will go out the window. My problem with it is that we were given 3 months or so when this should have been accounted for and implemented from the very beginning, which leads me back to my first conclusion that someone that has contributed a lot of money wants a change. If they would have done some kind of failure analysis upfront, they would have known this. If you are wondering why I do not have every recipe if I knew this day would come, well I cannot play as much as I would like. I travel for my work and a lot of the time my internet sucks.

14. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

I can see a reason for there to be rare equipment, gem, etc recipes that are hard to obtain and it requires doing a quest or whatever. But it makes perfect sense for me for people to be able to discover recipes in general. In WoW, they have some recipes that can only be discovered once you have the requisite skill in a specialized tree, but the only way you can get them is by discovery. I'd probably prefer something like that when it comes to equipment et all. Thus those who specialize are rewarded with the ability to make rare items. Those who want to just make some mid grade gear can do so. And anything that's learnable via 250g should be discoverable as well. Eventually someone who wants X recipe then will get it, even if it takes a tedious amount of time. Assuming they don't quit out of mind numbing boredom first.

15. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I can see your point there. Maybe a few less recipes should be available for 250g, but the ones that are readily available? And maybe ones that are one ingredient different from ones you know (like the gem/jewel recipes) too. But there should definitely be rare and/or quested recipes that you can't just look up wiki and throw crap on a table and you've got it.

16. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Yep.. I'd like to see rare discoverables. I.e., recipes you can only learn by discovering them, but not the way it currently works. What I rather see, is where if you're doing high level crafting, there's an RNG chance you can discover one of the rare recipes. Then the only way to have knowledge of all recipes is to actually work your crafting up to a high level and spend a lot of time crafting in that field. Add in some rare recipes that require a quest and some that require killing certain high level bosses in a group that causes the recipe to drop (potentially could make those sellable, as a way for those who are focused on crafting to be able to purchase them as a part of the player driven economy), and that seems significantly more fair to me than the current change. So there would basically be a subset of high end recipes where even if you knew the component requirements, it wouldn't matter. You would have to do the work in some way to actually learn them. @DarkStarr @Chris

Solazur likes this.
  17. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

I noticed while buying the carpentry masterwork in Owl's Head that the prices for recipes are going up based on demand now. I went back to Solania and they normal prices 250 each there.

18. uhop

uhop Avatar

At the last scrum (any similarity with actual persons is purely conincidental):

DS: We finally identified the problem with the economy.
    Dev #1: Not enough grind?
    Dev #2: Not enough cows?
    Dev #3: Not enough PvP?
    DS: No. It turned out that low-level adventurers have it too easy, while high-level grinders have it way hard!
    LB: Didn't you get it backwards?
    DS: Apparently to jump-start the economy we need to implement a gold sink without touching grinders.
    LB: Hmm, it sounds easy: let's make beginners to pay more. What do beginners need, but not old-timers?
    Dev #1: More grind?
    DS: Nah. Everybody has to grind.
    Dev #2: More cows?
    DS: Nobody needs cows!
    Dev #3: More PvP?
    DS: PvP sounds about right: grinders hunt beginners, take money, problem solved!
    LB: No. We need something that people buy at the beginning, and never again. That way it will look fair, but in reality will affect mostly beginners.
    DS: The only item like that are recipes.
    LB: Perfect! Let's make buying recipes mandatory at 250 gp a pop.
    DS (to devs): You've heard the man! Code it, and deploy ASAP!

Mishikal likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.