Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Increasing coto repair will ruin player economy

Discussion in 'Release 36 Dev+ Feedback Forum' started by reuge, Nov 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I thought I'd turn back the clock here and pull up some threads where the subject has been discussed either directly or indirectly.. Some of these were back in the days I still posted new stuff to Dev+ (instead of public) for no real reason..

April 8, 2013
    A case for "soft item" breakage

June 2, 2013
    Measures against item inflation

Dec 25, 2013
    Weapon/Item Fame & “soft item” Breakage

April 4, 2014
    Response to Crafting Deep Dive

March 3, 2014
    Item Concerns & Brainstorming

April 11, 2014 (one actually NOT started by me)
    Increasing Item Repair costs

May 15, 2015
    A Senseless Economy?

Themo Lock, Womby, Solazur and 2 others like this.
  2. reuge

reuge Avatar

Don't agree. Market is the best determinant of price. Government can decide on the price but if there is no supply. Look at the old Russia and the now North Korea. Government can depress prices, but at the low price no one is supplying.

The only happy players would be the hoarder and reseller of coto, as there is a conflict of interest to support higher prices of coto.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  3. reuge

reuge Avatar

It's tiring. But I guess you just don't get it. It's not about retiring gears but about coto usage. Guess you never get it and would be a waste of word to try to make you understand.

lollie and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  4. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

There's a hard cap on COTO inflation because of the tax conversion and add-on store price... COTOs selling at 2000g per are overpriced - as market advice goes... hold or sell. The price of the COTO will drop.

5. reuge

reuge Avatar

Its anybody guess. My feeling is higher prices. 1st more demand as there more ways to spend cotos. More taxable deeds in the market. Second, black friday bonus is expiring, coto will become more expensive to buy from add on store, Third, even with all else equals, gold is getting cheaper by the day. Just look at the market listing. Isnt it a month ago that gold was selling at $65-$70 per 100,000 gold pieces? Now its below $40. Even if coto dont get more expensive, since gold is cheaper, it should take more gold to buy coto. High prices is here to stay.

I totally agree something have to be done here. First, gears has to be removed from the system. But as a player, I hope it will not be tied to the add on store. And I implore Port to reconsider this implementation. Second, more effective gold sink has to be in place to counteract the hyperinflation. We are heading in the right direction. We are giving additional ideas to break or retire gears that will not directly or indirectly impact players wallet. Hopefully, Port may reconsider other method to take gears out of the system and not the coto way.

6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Just putting in my own personal reaction as a crafter.. for so long as ever increasing repair costs exist in ANY form.

1: I will likely not bother ever crafting really good stuff.
    2: I will likely never bother to repair max durability.

Too often I've seen "good stuff" sit in storage for those special occasions and NEVER get used because people don't want to wear it down or lose it for a single event or situations come and go too quickly to stop what you're doing to go get your good gear. etc.. Saving for special occasions sounds reasonable but in reality? It rarely ever happens that way in my experience.

I know how much time it takes for me to build a new set of basic gear.. if I have the time I can do it in a day for the cost of coal.

OK gear will get me by day to day just fine.

Item history will be meaningless for most players which defeats the purpose of item longevity in the first place.

Oh and that pesky business about used items filling up the loot tables over time..

7. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

Your alternate solution here is exactly the same amount of P2W as the one involving COTO's. The only difference is where the money flows.

With COTO's Player A buys COTO's from Portalarium and repairs items. $$$ --> Portalarium

With Resources Player A buys resources off the forums from player B. $$$ --> Player B

Exactly the same amount of P2W involved.

8. lollie

lollie Avatar

No it isn't. For a start the resources needed to repair a weapon will not cost anyone $30 as it will with the scaling COTOs system...it will be far more affordable both if using farming ingame or buying with game gold...or if a person goes and buys all his resources from another player. There will always people going for the easy path and buying everything using real money...especially in a game such as this where RMT has been openly encouraged. There is no way to stop any real money happening in this game so no idea why you're even bringing that up (trading resources). Yes, trading resources happens, so does buying pledge items and houses for real money.

Secondly there will be no scaling cost to repairs.

It will actually be achievable as opposed to hopeless...people will be able to buy quality gear and use it, as opposed to the scaling COTOs situation where nobody but the very wealthy will use decent gear. See now that is p2w. If all people can farm their own mats/gold and it's within reach to buy gear off other players and buy repair kits off other players (skilled crafters) then the economy will flow and everyone is playing as normal within the natural boundaries of the game.

You have completely misunderstood what I laid out, while simultaneously coming up with no ideas of your own to address your perceived issues.

Alley Oop likes this.
  9. reuge

reuge Avatar

There will always be players to power game with real life resources. It's is the stance of the company that will affect the direction of the game that matter. In this instance, we would prefer taking add on store resources out of the equation.

Gears can be taken out simply with a rng breakage upon repair. Or, rng looted upon death.

10. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

I'm afraid that it is you who has completely misunderstyood what I have said.

Fundamentally you are correct with what I have highlighted in yellow, people will pay money and get an advantage from it over other players. What I was pointing out is simply that that money can either flow to Portalarium, with them trying to get a piece of the pie (the COTO solution) or it can flow to other players (the resource solution you proposed). In both scenarios, even people that pay no money have the option to repair, either through COTO drops, or buying COTO's with ingame gold from other players, or by farming resources, or buying resources from other players. Conversely, some people will be able to get a P2W advantage in both scenarios by spending real $$$, by buying COTOS for $$$, or buyuing resources for real $$$.

You are arguing against COTO's because of the P2W aspect, but the truth is they do not change the P2W aspect, as you admit in your own words above.

11. Womby

Womby Avatar

Anyone who thinks COTO drops are a solution to anything hasn't been playing much. Steam tells me I have over 5,000 hours on SotA and I have yet to see a COTO drop. Even if I did eventually get one it would almost certainly be one of the limited use non-gold variety. The only realistic way to get COTOs without paying real money is to buy them in game for gold, and the price is steadily rising. My guess is they will settle in the 2,000g to 3,000g range.

12. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

I'm up to 15 dropped COTO's since persistance now.

RNG

13. Curt

Curt Avatar

"this is my lycky sword i has only replaced the hilt and the blade a few hounded times"
    Is how I think repairing maximum durability should be

You need for simplicity the most expensive part used to make the item and the skill needed to craft the original item.
    and the item is as new.

14. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Sorry did not read anything above so if ive repeated something sorry.

This increased cost thing only works if its easier to whip out stuff than it is in its current state. scalling cost gets rid of the gear thats been arround a while and easier to make new stuff creates the economy.

Not from a skills perspective but the actual crafting and gathering part.

15. Lua

Lua Avatar

Since persistence I have had 8 COTOs drop for me, 2 of which were gold. All were from mining. A few others in my guild have won them as loot drops while fighting mobs, but that seems to be much more rare, and I haven't heard anyone else say they have won gold ones.

So, they are dropping, but it's just a really, really low rate.

16. lollie

lollie Avatar

Probably not a good idea to make a reply when you don't understand what people are writing.

Anyway, let's see what the devs now do, if this goes to live I can guarantee it will not go down how they are expecting.

17. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Maybe you should be in charge. :rolleyes:

18. lollie

lollie Avatar

Maybe you should have ideas of your own :rolleyes:

19. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Oh, this is fun - maybe after nap time we can make mud pies! :D

There are a lot of changes happening for the health of the game - some popular, some misunderstood, and some perhaps even unpopular. It's worth it to wait and see how it all it all turns out... don't forget - this is early access - lots of testing and balance and iterative development. You may not be able to see the bigger picture, and it's understandable that you are questioning all the incoming changes - but I think the majority of folks won't even notice... and most of those that do notice won't care... and those that care, probably won't care that much. Just gotta wait and see.

20. lollie

lollie Avatar

And that is why we're here (not you but the rest of us) to let them know this is not okay.

rednought likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.