[Poll] Sacrifice NPC town player-housing for a richer pve experience?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rada Torment, Nov 15, 2016.

?

Would you sacrifice NPC town player-housing for a more rich pve experience?

1. Yes, player-housing should focus on POT/PRTs

14 vote(s)
    17.9%
  2. Yes, but only on those with heavy quest/lore content

16 vote(s)
    20.5%
  3. No, player-housing should be possible on all npc towns/cities ingame

48 vote(s)
    61.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Hello avatars o/

@Lord_Darkmoon thread showed me that this community has too many points of view about a very specific feature in SoTa.

I encourage anyone to participate in this poll to see what's our vision and desires of player-housing for the future of this game.

/wave,
    Rada Torment.

Glantor Edge, Kambrius and moko like this.
  2. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Trust me, for most of the remaining community here on this forum this is more important:

[​IMG]

than this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Nadomir

Nadomir Avatar

I think Rada and Lord Darkmoon both got a point here. Disallowing playerhousing in pure NPC-Cities would allow for the devs to use those cities to drive the story instead of creating pure static cities. Sure, owning a lot in one of the BIG ones is some kind of a prestige thingies and lots of players have created very nice and cool homes and shops there already and would certainly and understandably pissed if they were forecefully evicted now. And filling the gaps with meaningfull NPCs and housing and such will also be no easy part. But it might be a step worth thinking about.

Rada Torment likes this.
  4. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Why not include a Story-instance for those cities with quests?
    When entering such a city, the player chooses between "story-instance" or "housing-instance".
    The "story-instance" would include all quests, story-NPCs, merchantes etc. and have no player housing but instead it would be possible to show real consequences. NPCs can die, new NPCs can enter the scenes, NPCs can leave the scenes, houses could be destroyed etc.
    The "housing-instance" would have the player houses, merchantes etc. but no quests.

Rada Torment likes this.
  5. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I'd like to see town sieges actually raze towns and player housing.

All this talk about meaningful crafting and how breaking swords and armor is good for the economy - it still completely ignores the deco market. I love the idea of town sieges and if that could happen to our actual housing where player crafted items/decos/houses could be destroyed/burned... that would be a seriously awesome game mechanic that would make sieges more meaningful (imo) and would also introduce a much needed wear-and-tear mechanic on player crafted decorations market.

6. Kirran

Kirran Avatar

Too late to kick players out of the NPC towns. The game has been in development for the past 3 years. Immersive town sieges should have been part of the original Core game design and housing planned around that accordingly. They're stuck with what they have.

Ice Queen and By Tor like this.
  7. Glantor Edge

Glantor Edge Avatar

Why not have your cake and eat it?

For example, isn't it entirely possible for a player-owned lot in an NPC town to be temporarily disabled throughout an event? The lot can be "saved" in the bank and replaced with ruins / town defence structures etc throughout the event. After the event, the lots can be automatically restored to it's original form?

Taxes can simply be suspended throughout the siege / event duration as well. 30 days remaining before event, 30 days remaining after event.

I have a feeling many owners of NPC town lots would welcome these events as they help to drive more traffic to the town. Especially if there is a celebration event afterwards. 1 or 2 days worth of lost sales isn't that big a deal, plus the celebration event can make up for it.

By Tor, Rada Torment and moko like this.
  8. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I don't understand the purpose of this poll. Housing in NPC towns is already an integral part of the game. There's no going back to the drawing board and evicting everyone. Plans for Episode 2 aren't finalized yet, so such ideas should aim beyond Episode 1.

Black Tortoise likes this.
  9. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

It's a hen/egg situation. What was there first? The burning cities during sieges or the housing that would prevent this?

Rada Torment likes this.
  10. Rada Torment

I do not want anyone to misinterpret anything I state here. I created the poll to see, and "hear", what's our vision about a very controversial and important part of SotA. I'm not asking to change anything about this.

Any feedback is always good for devs, or thats what I always thought :D

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  11. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

So we want a siege in a town or city. Here is my two cents: 1)Build Obsidian/Cabalist NPC controlled Town/Cities (A Few at the beginning to test it out). 2) Let us actually siege them and place numerous prized resources inside those Obsidian/Cabalist Town/Cities to make it worthwhile to siege it and try to control it. After we control it then let the Obsidian/Cabalists try to take it back. Objective: 1) Test for lag and player participation in sieges, 2) Test the level of Obsidian/Cabalist to ensure it is a reasonable return for the effort. 3) Allow for player feedback on the Siege process before you actually implement it on a future patch. R/Boris

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
    Rada Torment likes this.
  12. Zapatos80

Zapatos80 Avatar

I love to see player housing among NPCs, it actually increases the immersion for me.

13. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Even if this means no consequences to choices, no town sieges, no dying NPCs etc.?

14. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

I hope all poll makers understand how tremendously skewed this data would be :). You are boiling the results down to 1) people interested in the question 2) people on the forum && people who know this thread exists. its not exactly a good dataset from which to gain an understanding of how the community at large feels about housing, relative to NPC Story towns and features.

15. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

You mean that it is not true that for many here dancing synchronously around a snowman in front of a house while chairs are stacked into the sky and a christmas tree glitters is more important than an epic story, meaningful and deep quests, real town sieges, choices with real and lasting consequences, monsters threatening cities, NPCs being killed...? ;)

Kambrius likes this.
  16. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

I vote no POTS Only FFA player housing where it fits like UO. I know that will never happen though, but i think player housing should be in NPC cities. i think the POTS are a bad idea game wise, good for making $$ but not so good for bringing the community together. How many people really live in a single pot now days? Most people that own them are likely by themselves or close unless they are in a huge guild that gives guild members lots etc, but even then 3/4 of the population is prob spread between 3-4 guilds. With numbers not increasing this leads me to beleive most pots will be empty of any action assuming people actually go into Multi player mode. The only way i see all those lots filled are if people get so much gold saved up they can affor to throw houses everywhere. We seriously need a population influx, bad. Unless your going for the single player experience then i guess it doesnt matter.

17. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

If we could go back and do it all over again - knowing that there would be POTs and housing may adversely effect quests/storyline/immersion.. then I'd definitely vote for player housing being restricted to only POTs. But... the genie came out of that bottle a long time ago. He's not going back in at this point.

18. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Its way too late in development for something like this to happen. It would be nice, but as it will never be considered I don't see the point.

By Tor likes this.
  19. Rada Torment

Well, I have two choices, do it or not do it. I have good reasons to believe that the first option is always better than the second one :)

We all know that they will not change any of the actual NPC towns, and thats fine. I was thinking about future expansions/episodes.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  20. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

Its too late to change things now. But it would have been nice if they limited player housing to POTs or non story important npc towns. The story towns should have never had player housing it just ruins the immersion not to mention makes the towns look rather silly with all the different clashing housing styles..

Rada Torment likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.