The Oracle rebellion begins here!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tahru, Nov 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

An Anti Oracle guild?? I would gladly join.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  2. meadmoon

meadmoon Avatar

I want a title for killing the most watchers.

3. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

Bug zapper? I like this idea.

4. meadmoon

meadmoon Avatar

One of those destructo tools from Gary's Mod. :p

Alexander likes this.
  5. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

There is no deep thought. I've never lied (except to the orcale about not following the path of truth because she considers that lie to be the truth). There are no actions to consider. Unless she considers honesty to be walking away from the path of truth. Also, her entire purpose (supposedly) is to advise you on the paths. If it isn't advising you, it is not possible to stay on the path that it claims you are straying from...

Alexander likes this.
  6. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

No, there isn't a whole lot of deep thought yet. But of course there are actions to consider. Stealing from a shop, for example. Supposedly leaving Fawns alone. Specific quest decisions. More opportunities to move the needle will appear, and perhaps that is where you see the failure. If there are not enough opportunities to raise the virtue, then even the slightest actions over time could leave you with a net reduction.

I don't really see the Oracle as really "advising" you on the virtue paths, which I would consider more as an active action. Clicking on Advice just returns a list of what she can do for you. She does offer to "counsel" you on them, however, which I see as a passive action. Counseling doesn't mean telling you much of anything. It means helping you think about what is going on and perhaps become aware of something you hadn't thought of before so you can make better decisions. Sure, she does tell you how she sees things:

"I have observed your actions regarding your journey towards the nature of Truth. Actions such as these show that you hold this virtue in some disdain."
    > test
    "I have observed your actions while walking along the Path of Truth. Do you feel that your actions demonstrate how to live according to the Virtue of Truth?"
    > no I do not
    "My observations confirm you have strayed from the Path of Truth. Here is a small reward for your analysis."

What I see here is two data points. 1) What The Oracle sees, and 2) What you believe. How these are used now and/or recorded and used in the future is still to be fully seen, but I know we're not done here and The Oracle still has some enhancements in the pipeline.

Maybe the 'test' she gives us is to see if we conform to what she expects us to say, or respond with what we truly think. Maybe the money is not an actual reward. Maybe it's a lie.

[This is why not having a Virtue number surfaced to us sucks. We can't test our beliefs/actions vs what the system is programmed to think. Heck, maybe that's the point that will be brought up in the future storyline. If The Oracle is a machine, how could it truly know about ethics and cultural expectations?]

Tahru and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  7. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

its funny, i "can't" partake in the zoltar machine.. i havn't done a single storyline quest yet, as i thought this was a sandbox game....very disappointed in the implementation of it, thus far.

[​IMG]

Sophi, Tahru, KuBaTRiZeS and 2 others like this.
  8. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

I don't kill fauns nor have I ever stolen from a shop. And when I've spared the fauns it gives a boost in Love or Courage for killing the satyr (based on the feedback from the Oracle). Again, every quest decision has gone the honest and truthful route, hence my confusion.
    coun·sel: give advice to (someone). literal dictionary definition of counsel. It is why people have counselors in government positions. They advise you on the section they oversee or are in charge of so that you can take their advice and make an informed decision on something.
    What observation did she make that causes her to believe this?
    This I would find very amusing if that turns out to be the purpose. 8^)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  9. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

This surprises me as I've gotten responses that aren't quest related in anyway (not killing certain mobs, killing others, giving money to beggars, etc.). I wonder what the cutoff is for it to register your actions. Also, only an idiot would wish to be small again with what he had going for him. Just explain things to the parents and move on with the "fun" of being an adult in a major company, with an attractive significant other. Parents are loving, they'll eventually adapt.

Tahru and ThurisazSheol like this.
  10. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

that is a great question (what the cutoff is)... all i did was create the avatar, and run around killing stuff or not. i've even killed many watchers and believe that i have zero negative effects from Zoltar because i havn't taken any steps in the story itself.

it may be saving what i do and then hit me like a ton of bricks once i trigger something... that'll be fun to watch the watchers swarm me or something lol

11. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

HA, well, this is interesting.

Up until a couple days ago, I did not apparently hold that virtue in disdain. I have actually been fairly cognizant of what I have been doing to try not to drive it downward. Her new observation startled me. I had to think about what I was doing or had been doing. I can only assume that it was a moment of weakness in a shop where I took a candle, a candle of which I have sixty others sitting in a chest at home.

One stinkin' candle pulled me under the line.

Tahru, Gaelis and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  12. meadmoon

meadmoon Avatar

I've been wondering if there really is any benefit to doing the virtue quest lines. I'd rather play the game as a sandbox and forget about the story and Oracle completely.

13. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Perhaps. Or it just randomly flipped. Again, you grabbing a candle may have done it, but as I've never grabbed anything out of stores or people's homes or from inside cities... that still brings up the problem of it saying you are going against the virtue for no reason. It should be giving you guidance about WHY it thinks you did something wrong.

Tahru and LoneStranger like this.
  14. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Extra xp and some gold. Otherwise, not a lick of point to any of it.

Tahru likes this.
  15. Terrence Phillip

Terrence Phillip Avatar

How does the Oracle know my actions? How can it read my soul and know my virtues? Very disturbing for a giant robot head, It is evil I tell you! EVIL!!!
    How does the Oracle know my actions? How can it read my soul and know my virtues? Very disturbing for a giant robot head. It is evil! EVIL I tell you! It's trying to suggest me what to do and how to act. Tahru is right! We need to rebel against the giant robot head!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
    Tahru, Moiseyev Trueden and Gaelis like this.
  16. Lua

Lua Avatar

We know things which glow red in our world are non-virtuous, as evidenced by our Virtue Cloaks.

We know the Oracle, the watchers, and all else connected with them glow red.

We know things which glow blue in our world are virtuous, as evidenced by our Virtue Cloaks.

We know that moon gates and enchanted armors glow blue.

The above strongly suggests that the Oracle, watchers, and everything to do with them, truly are non-virtuous.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
    Acred, Sophi, Tahru and 5 others like this.
  17. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i think that may actually be their point with that... that all seeing eye on the oracle observatory is quite glaringly red. i do not like the color red, red is the color of boiling blood, and so many things within that realm alone are not virtuous.

ninja edit - first time i saw the oracle conservatory, i thought it was a brothel....then i went in, and found out it was a glory hole.

18. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Tahru likes this.
  19. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I don't recall any mention of the Shadowlords.. however.. the description of the cabalists seemed eerily similar. Reminded me of the Shadowlords..

20. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.