Future VR Plans?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Austin90, Jul 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobotBeginner

RobotBeginner Avatar

He meant that "We will eventually VR capable but not soon be VR capable."
    I asked the same question during the telethon before. He answered the same, "We will eventually."

2. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

well, if it makes you feel better to believe that, feel free :)

but that is obviously and definitely not what he said/meant.

3. Andrew Silverston

Andrew Silverston Avatar

Oculus Rift now requires only solid 45 frames per second. They recently released ASW (Asynchronous Spacewarp) update to their software suite, which allows the use of Rift on slower PCs. So, if your PC can play a game at 45 fps (not 90 as previously was recommended), with ASW the experience will be as comfortable as it would be at 90 fps. But considering that Port has only couple of programmers, I don't see them doing VR in any foreseeable future. They simply don't have human power to do anything like that. By the time they even touch on VR, I think Star Citizen will be released and going full force... not that it really has anything to do with SOTA VR, just considering how slow the development of SC goes and how many people will drop every game they play for SC.

4. RobotBeginner

RobotBeginner Avatar

Okay! I will try to ask Lord British to clarify what he say once more when he login next time.
    But anyway, they will look into the VR possibility. Even if they decide to make SOTA VR capable now, they still need to look into many things and see if VR is possible and feasible for SOTA.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  5. Joe Zhudarak

Joe Zhudarak Avatar

VR isnĀ“t popular worldwide yet, is so expensive, for example here in Brazil a HTC Vive costs about R$ 7.000,00 or $ 2.000,00.

6. Curt

Curt Avatar

Here in Sweden does HTC Vive cost around $1000 if the webpage i checked is true.

joezhudarak likes this.
  7. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

VR at this stage of development is going to fail in all except very specific types of applications.

Google Earth is a good example of a successful VR implementation.

For an MMO it's a horrible idea due to medical concerns, highend hardware requirements, and limited benefit.

joezhudarak likes this.
  8. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I find it hard to compare previous iterations with the current. Its here to stay now. We have the hardware to do it now in an immersive way.

Nintendo sold 58 million units of the 3DS

I am personally waiting for gen. 2.

But anytime someone doubts technology I always scoff. Just like my computer science teacher 20 years ago when he told us that Intel would *never* make a processor faster then the Pentium 100 mhz

9. Vagabond Sam

Vagabond Sam Avatar

It would be pretty cool if they tested the waters with some basic interaction one day.

Even just having the scenes pull from what's in place with player houses and stuff and letting people wander around Estgard or w/e in VR with locomotion.

Only issue is if people with locked doors or gates would feel unhappy with people seeing inside their lots due to clippingv through walls in room scale.

Daily gameplay is something in not sure would translate well

10. Liz

Liz Avatar

VR would be awesome eventually. But I absolutely understand that it's no priority right now. Occulus and HTC will hopefully be cheaper in a year or two and then more people will be able to use VR. 2018 should be soon enough.

11. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

At the recent Con in Baltimore, Darkstarr was asked about VR for SOtA.
    He did not say it would NEVER be an option but said it was not being considered at this time nor in the projected future.

The reasons were that the equipment and technology were not in a state that would appeal to many users.
    (cost and having oone technology platform)
    Focusing on that platform did not seem to be important at this time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.