Cannot get into Game

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software, Tech' started by Tychicus, Sep 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ariella Shadowdancer

Ariella Shadowdancer Avatar

I'll make sure he sees all this new information.

Tahru, Time Lord, majoria70 and 2 others like this.
  2. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Thanks for posting it! Looking at it now. Tychius, if you haven't already, please also submit a support ticket to support@portalarium.com. We can help you fastest that way.

Time Lord, Acred and jammaplaya like this.
  3. BurningToad

BurningToad Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Hello! This is an issue that we think may be fixed in Unity 5.4, which we are using now for the R34 Dev+ QA build. If anyone with the AMD APU crash issue is able to test the QA build for me and let me know if it is fixed, that would be great! If you have this crash issue and want to test for me, but do not have Dev+ access, let me know, and I can temporarily provide access to test this issue. Thanks!

4. BurningToad

BurningToad Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Well, unfortunately I have one report that the issue is not fixed in the latest QA build (Unity 5.4). It would still be helpful though to have another person to test this to be sure.

Time Lord and smack like this.
  5. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

Lots of disconnects last night and still no better this morning. I'm in FO mode, trying to get into Serpents spine foothills. Last night, big icon saying bad network, what you do might not save. After a reboot, same thing. Sota crashes after entering the spine, reboot, sota hangs up when entering spine, etc. I log off.

Watching the game load in a window is interesting to see all the times the game stops working and whites out, always at 50% and again at 65% while it tries to handshake i guess.

This morning, same thing. No bad internet icon, but still hanging up requiring a reboot when I try to enter serp spine. Anyone else having issues connecting and keeping a stable game yesterday and today? Nothing was patched, and nothing changed on my computer... I have noticed the seeding is way down, pre-patch population i guess

THE HENDOMAN

PS: So wait an hour, try again, no problem. Sigh. entered the mine, and on my way out, altair. after restart, I get to town, but on my way back in serp spine, Altair.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
    Time Lord and Soylent Green like this.
  6. Soylent Green

Soylent Green Avatar

I am having similar issue that started last night. I usually play in Multiplayer mode but i tried it in Friends only and in Single Player Only. I did not have the issue in Single Player Only but I had same issue in Friends only.

It is frequent but it does have periods that I can play for a while so not sure if Single Player only was the fix or if it was just a period where I could play for a while.

I've turned on and off every firewall and antivirus setting and swapped routers out to see if issue is on my end but I get the same message no matter what I do.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

Potpie, with all the monitors running but an in game network error too

THE HENDOMAN

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Tychicus

Tychicus Avatar

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Berek, have you heard any new updates on my AMD processor problem ? I have not heard back from anyone on this lately. I upgraded the RAM in my old laptop which has the iCor processor in it so I can at least play the game now, although a little slow but sure would like to play it on my new laptop with the AMD processor. Please let me know if you have heard any new updates on this. thanks !!

9. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

We are focusing on performance issues for R37, will check to see if any AMD specific compatibility problems are resolved in it! Look for R37 to be released on Dec. 15th.

Acred and jammaplaya like this.
  10. Tychicus

Tychicus Avatar

Thanks Berek ! I appreciate the response... Please keep me posted on this !

Acred and Tahru like this.
  11. Tychicus

Tychicus Avatar

Hi Berek ! Is there any status update on my AMD processor specific compatibility problems yet ? I am playing on my old laptop but I sure would like to play SOTA on my NEWER one with the AMD processor in it. PLEASE check and see if there has been any progress on this. It has been since Release 26 that I have NOT been able to play SOTA on my Lenovo laptop. I upgraded the RAM on it to 16 RAM so I know it has enough RAM for the game but I sure would like to play it. Can you please expedite this situation of mine on up the "ladder" for me !?!?

Acred likes this.
  12. Kamuniak

Kamuniak Avatar

Hi, i'm having same problem. i'm running SotA in a Acer laptop with AMD A8 procesor and a Radeon R5 graphics card... I can only play Offline, why?

13. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

yes i will explain to you.

the problem is a conflict with Unity and your AMD processor. I don't know the specifics.

What you need to do to get online is download these files (click files) and then find the same files in your SotA folder. Back up the files you currently have, and then place the downloaded files where they were.

The files you have that don't work are the 64 bit files. The reason you need to back them up (by putting them in a new folder) is because you need to put them back in the SotA folder BEFORE patching, and if you don't or forget to, you'll need to do a complete reinstall. So be careful.

If you use steam, make sure to right click on Shroud of the Avatar in your games library, select properties and go to the Updates tab, and set it to update only when you click 'play' on the game. That will give you a reminder to switch the 64 bit files back into the folder. You will know when there is a patch if you are using steam, because the game will say 'update required' beside the title in your games library.

Otherwise, if you're not using steam, you should check here to see if there's any patches before running the game.

And once you get online, make sure to set the video settings to 'fastest' for best results while playing in 32 bit mode.

If the 32 bit files I provided in this thread stop working, try clicking the 'files' link again, because there might be new, updated files attached to that link from time to time.

If you need any more help, feel free to shoot me a PM or you can also PM @BurningToad for more info. He knows more about it than me! We have him to thank for the fix, btw!

File locations:

Steam:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SotA
    and
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SotA\Shroud of the Avatar_Data\Mono

Portalarium:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar
    and
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar_Data\Mono

Acred, Kamuniak and Numa like this.
  14. Kamuniak

Kamuniak Avatar

Nice, it works. thank you a lot!!!

I hope that developers fix this problem in next release, as i found several in-game crashes, and it makes game unplayable.

15. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Oh yeah, so on my laptop same as yours the best thing to do is find a zone in single player where you don't need to keep switching zones. Like do some mining for example. You don't really crash if you stay in the same zone.

Devs are definitely working with Unity to fix this problem, but it's a real doozy!

Also stay out of multiplayer, or even big cities in single player or zones with massively decorated housing can be a pain.

Not sure how much RAM you have but my laptop is only 6gb, well under the 8gb min requirement.

Acred and Numa like this.
  16. Kamuniak

Kamuniak Avatar

My laptop has 8gb RAM, but i'm going to expand to 16gb soon.

I was killing and looting on catacombs of soltown for hours and i have no crashes, everything works properly, but in soltown game crashes every 1 or 2 minutes, and it isn't a huge city...

I will try to go to another city to see if this problem continues.

17. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Many people I've met use friends online mode to play with others and get better performance and heaven forbid if anyone gets a new computer stay away from amd and raedon graphics for now. I know some people say they are fine with higher end computers but just to be careful I would avoid this because of the unity issue with these things. ;)

Acred likes this.
  18. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Yeah, I got this laptop while I was out working in the middle of Tuff-Buck nowhere and 6gb RAM / AMD was the best laptop they had, right smack in the middle of 2016. I was offended, but had no other option at the time.

Acred likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.