Anyone else think the hate on COTOs is completely topsy turvy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zapatos80, Nov 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reuge

reuge Avatar

I spend zero on rent. I am talking about velocity of coto. If you know what I am talking about.

For a player who spent a lot on repair. 5 coto drop is a pittance.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  2. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

I love coto's in the game. I see some long term items that would be great with coto's in-game. MY SOLE OBJECTION WITH COTO'S is that they are used to repair items in the game. A critical part of any armor's durability. Durability repair should be some item that crafters can quest for and work for as a reward that then they can use that item to repair durability. Add that the LVL of crafter using such item on a equipment piece the repair should never exceed the crafters lvl. While the current system is in with cotos being the only way to repair armor durability crafting is doomed. As soon as my suit dies i will never repair it. Nor will i ever buy one from a crafter. I am also no longer selling any of the resources i gather like i did before. There is a small group of us that are all doing that.

3. Vagabond Sam

Vagabond Sam Avatar

I believe this is a disadvantage to the game and is one of the reasons I don't like the greater role COTO is playing in the game. Rent should be a gold sink, not something that can be substituted for a Add-on store item. I get it is good on a per user level. I used COTO for my row house too because it's just good sense.

In long term sustainability though, at the least COTO should require liquidation into gold so gold still leaves the economy. People keep going on about how good it is people spend so much on the raffles and how positive that is for the economy that so much gold is destroyed, but lots and raffles are finite, long term 'evergreen' sinks such as rent are required.

I hope people are reading the arguments more carefully then assuming the issue with COTO is the ability to buy gold. Buying gold with COTO has been with us since release and yet the big 'topsy turvy hate' only really surfaced this release.

Maintaining equipment is another item where in game mechanics should be the only method. This is opinion of course and there are any number of games that allow the purchase of items to reinforce weapons and armor, allowing higher quality gear to those that can afford either the RMT from the store, or the grind to time buy the items from someone else.

The counter point that someone can grind the premium currency is, to my ears, just haggling over semantics and trying to establish if a grind is 'small enough' the advantage to skipping it is negligible and therefore no real advantage at all.

At a current market rate of around 2000gp per COTO I can get three an hour. So, for argument's sake, my second repair is one hour to fix my sword, buying COTO from the market. Someone can skip that buy jumping on the Add-on stare click a few buttons and be on their way, skipping that grind. On top of that, they have skipped another gold sink via crafting fuels because, like most of us here, I support the finite span of weapons and armor.

• I fully endorse the use of COTO to move gold from a player with time, to a player without time.
    • I support this currency as a way to trade in add-on and pledge items as it creates a fair comparison being tied to the US$
    • I like the sale of add on store items directly in game that otherwise form bigger bundles at COTO merchants
    • I am fine with pay to win items that form convenience such as the Obsidian Potions.

What I do not like and will debate are the uses of COTO that directly impact the core elements of adventuring and player crafting, directly plugging what should be gold sinks in game.
    • Rental payments. Every-time I hear someone complain about inflation, I hope to hear them complain how a major gold sink is left underutilized because as long as COTO is 1gp below 3500gp the rational market will use COTO and instead of sinking money, will just shuffle it. I feel like they want to increase COTO value to get much closer to rent payments, but I don't think manipulating drop rates is the way to do it.
    • Buy COTO, keep gear three times as long. Under the current changes it is quicker to buy coto and fully repair gear max durability three times in median circumstances. Scrap it. I assumed the old repair system was complete placeholder for when they were ready to make gear properly destructible. Even conservatively if everyone spent 3000gp per COTO (If prices rise like intended) they will more or less double the usable life of gear, halving the demand for crafted goods.
    • Obtaining COTO are no where near the time cost of any equipment for sale. I guarantee if you were to mine all the items you need for a copper sword from scratch, I can gather gold from a 1 skull area that far surpasses anything you could ever get paid for a copper sword. So when you spend 12 hours to get tier 2 metals, gold, silver and lovingly master craft and enchant the weapon, the advantage to tripling it's life through COTO seems pretty big to me.
    I hope my post helps somewhat to address your opening remarks. Given all the 'work' a COTO can do for you, I actually doubt there are many people selling COTO for IGG, without having an imminent high ticket purchase in mind. I actually would put my betting COTO on more player to player trades occuring in COTO because they have a stable value, versus gold whose value will dimish far more rapidly then COTO.

I'd also suggest you be wary when referring to 'basic' supply and demand. Given the most beneficial uses of COTO destroy it, I think it's got a much healthier cycle then gold which barely gets destroyed outside of raffles. What has been created here is a complex market with many hidden facets and implications including larger groups who seek to effect the supply and demand with great buying power, individuals who make less then rational decisions, and a hidden supply rate tweaked by Portalarium in the form of drop rates.

Either I've just made no sense and it is topsy turvy hate, or maybe there is something to think carefully about in how the game approaches an ingame currency tied to the gold standard, or $US dollar really, but I like the phrase 'Gold Standard' .

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  4. Womby

Womby Avatar

They could let you pay 3500g as an alternative to using a gold COTO, but who would use that option? As long as gold COTOs can be purchased in game for much less than that, it makes more sense to use a gold COTO. Sure, if the in-game value of gold COTOs crept above 3500g that would make sense, but the downward pressure on COTO prices would be immediate as players started paying tax with in-game gold instead of COTOs, thus reducing demand. The natural response to lower demand for gold COTOs would be a reduction in price.

5. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

No, not last week.. the entire time both of those things has been know, the majority of the population has been angry about them with good reason. The 25% pvp bonus was almost immediately changed to be partially a multiplayer bonus since it was the most wildly unpopular change since skill decay. Chris has already said that he is looking to change the COTO for repair system (though not get rid of it) since it too is about as popular as a fart in a crowded elevator. To just blindly accept change without providing feedback on how those changes affect gameplay will result in a game nobody enjoys.

6. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

But we didn't talk about them 3 weeks ago, did we? We human can only have so much attention span on certain topics, then we gotta switch around. Otherwise,we'll repeating ourselves and that's boring.

Not saying we shouldnt provide the feedback, nut at post all things need to be said will be said, then we gotta move on to next things to let the dev soak it in and find course of action.

DancingShade likes this.
  7. DancingShade

DancingShade Avatar

COTOs are great because they bought me an elven village keep. Was worth buying them for gold from other players early on.

I guess overall I think of COTOs not as a mechanism to repair things (though sure they do that too) but as a way to purchase premium items from in game NPCs.

Spoon and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  8. reuge

reuge Avatar

When it's either naggy or quit game. And we are not quite at the latter yet. So bear with the broken tape recorder.

9. Insinious FizzleThorpe

Insinious FizzleThorpe Avatar

Preach on Doc!
    This +10 is my ONLY gripe about the entire system...

10. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

This is exactly correct. The hidden cost in the scenario is the time used to search for the COTO on the market. Although that cost can be minimized by shopping beforehand, banking purchases till needed, ultimately the cost of the COTO is should be defined by the drop rate distribution. My point is that the designed drop will be restricted so that the real source of the COTO is the store. To choose not to be a part of this COTO distribution scheme by using gold in the first place is my point. I hope this does not imply that I think the scheme is evil or something. It is a perfectly valid scheme for funding. I just think that we should have a choice. At the crafting station when repairing my gear I should not have to choose COTO as my only option. Perhaps it is a fine point and for sure is not one I will champion much more than I have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.