Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Solo play and EXP gain/skilling up

Discussion in 'Release 36 Feedback Forum' started by Arrian, Nov 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I assume your words are aimed at me, for which I thank you. I'm always asking people for advice and am grateful when it is given unasked. One of the deck-building threads helped me to improve my decks markedly: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...od-and-how-to-modify-it-for-your-needs.58341/

Following the advice in that post, I reduced the number of cards in my decks and they work better now. I have different decks for different zones (reagent-free decks for the 1 and 2 skull zones). The deck I used at Brightbone has 5 dynamic slots, one for Healing Touch by itself, and 4 containing Chained Lightning, Obsidian Arrow and Searing Ray. I make an effort to stack these spells and it's usually possible. I almost always have at least one Chained Lightning to use. The locked slots are buffs with a cooldown appropriate for their active time: Douse, Defensive Stance, Enlightenment, Air's Embrace and currently I also have Root locked, though I change that slot a lot. I stopped using Lightning (level 80) because I couldn't afford the reagents.

Maybe my deck needs further tweaking? Any advice is welcome. In any case, here's the rub... even if I used the exact same deck as you, I wouldn't get the same results, because you're better at combat than I am. That's a good thing because skill should play a part in a game like this. :)

uhop likes this.
  2. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

I wont touch on mage builds too much as im an archer and i would be speculating too much without being online.

I am just aware of what my group and guildies handle and where they are at, and i dont see a viable reason of why you are struggling as much as you are.
    Deck setup is usually a safe guess, but ill leave that for someone running a match of your skills.

I just think its interesting i run Death Touch as my only spell.. with no passive.. and i can kill skull 5 bears or w.e using only that spell. with no attunement.. .. ( dt is at 80 ) .. just spamming the 2 slots i use on my bar for it.

3. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

one persons micro management is another persons game just like one persons grind is another persons game. There simply needs to be a way to macro manage the micro manage, for those who arn't into micro managing.

4. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

I agree a simpler interface for changing the +/maintain/- on skills would be helpful.

5. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

This is actually very simple to answer lol.

Yes, it feels like they adjusted it again. More towards using more xp (into skill) per click. I had several skills set to raise and I had to shut a few down to get my exp to stabilize. It feels more like it did before the change in R34 that started building our xp pools and slowed this xp --> skill movement.

You are still able to have a few primary skills set to raise up while out killing just fine...

You simply just are gaining more skill per click again.

6. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Macro managing is knowing your exp/hr intake and keeping your exp/hr transfer to skills (burn rate) below that.

As skills level they drink up more exp. There is no play and forget button. You always need to throttle your exp burn rate to be below or at your gain rate in order to maintain your pool.

Persobally I throttle my burn rate so that I'm always increasing my pool if only slightly.

A button that sets all to no gain or all to maintain would be welcome.

Make sure you track the skills you are gaining on the right of your screen so you know whats drinking up exp.

7. dp_dropout

dp_dropout Avatar

UO was so much simpler and better with a skillcap and a complete open skill system in which to spend the points. I had years of fun using that kiss system, compared to the hassles and ridiculous restrictions of this system...
    Game designers need to realise that complexity != fun.

Preachyr, Vagabond Sam and Couldin like this.
  8. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Adjusting what is raising based on every scene, or if I am in a party is not how I want to spend my limited playtime.

Alternate approach- set everything to maintain once it hits 40, raise 3-5 million exp in your pool. Set 1 skill to raise and get it to 80 in a few hours. Set to maintain, raise 3-5 million exp in pool, pick new skill and repeat...

This method now maximizes my exp per tick on applying to skills (level quicker), negates any real negative consequence to decay(recovery of 20k easy with no skills gaining), allows for chasing new skills released in a mater of hours(training with pools that high are rediculous), and just really has the opposite impact of everything they intended to do with these changes . But for me it is the only way to play with out continuously adjusting my ups and maintains to keep a pool of exp large enough to cover the maximum decay hit every time I log in, if I die.

9. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

I keep my burn rate below my gain rate and now and again when the pool hits 2 mill I blitz a skill to a high level.

I can agree with people that the process is frustrating. Mitigating the frustration means taking complete control over the process and micro managing (I love it but I know some people hate it). Better to hate it and still get the Avatar you want than hate it and not get the Avatar you want.

Kara Brae likes this.
  10. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

Good interesting stuff. Seems the thread is moving from complaints about the pain in the ass micromanaging skill points to optimal techniques and tips n' tricks in doing so!

What I don't quite follow is the notion of blitzing a skill (levelling it fast) to max it out once you have a big enough pool (other than to trade off a skill gain with your points buffer vs keeping some to offset decay on death). Surely the skill gains exp at the rate determined by how much you mash the skill button and is not accelerated by the size of the available pool?

Am I missing something? does the skill gained per hit increase proportionally with the size of the pool, such as a % of the pool is drawn in to each raising skill per hit rather than a fixed amount contributed per hit?

Edit: I was missing something! Skill gained per hit is a fixed % of your skill points pool rather than a fixed points amount per hit, so bigger pool means the % is a bigger amount of allocated points, so faster levelling with a bigger pool. I learn again! Thanks to Bowen.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    Chatele likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.