pvp 25% bonus? SOLD! will YOU flag for pvp more?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Raistlyn, Nov 16, 2016.

?

Will you flag pvp more often due to the 25% exp bonus?

Poll closed Nov 30, 2016.
  1. YES

50 vote(s)
    35.2%
  2. NO

92 vote(s)
    64.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Audacity

Audacity Avatar

There is already a method for planned, rules bound pvp through duels and tournaments. I don't think we need to replicate that again in open world pvp.

That said, a fame/infamy rating scale would be cool. So don't block players from attacking characters much lower or rez camping but cause that action to generate infamy which has reprocussions such as certain npcs refusing to deal with them or bounty quests for anyone over x infamy points.

2. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

As things stand a player cannot take damage when they rez or enter a zone.....this lasts for several seconds......should it last a little bit longer? debatable.

However if a so called "PvPer" can't accept death without trying to cry foul then maybe they simply shouldn't be PvPing.

There are good PvPers and Bad PvPers. The good PvPers may win a lot or lose a lot.....it doesn't matter because they take it on the chin either way.

The bad PvPers may win some BUT they can't handle loss....... they cry, they claim unfairness, they claim the others were cheating blah blah blah........and you know what? those players are trash and I hope they get killed and rez killed over and over and over again until they rage that much irl they smash their keyboards. They make me laugh each time they complain, they are complete jokers.

3. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Maybe one of yourselves can answer this for me. Not th right place for it, but all the minds that might know r here..

Short story....Got attacked in a scene by 'unnamed player' who was in a group, but i was unprepared and got away, chat window and logs show damage received and heals etc i gave myself as departing.

I came back in a few mins later to exact revenge.....Ran through the scene, not seeing anyone, nearly from the start of the circuit i started getting damage coming in, from where i don't know and damage was being seen on screen, and my health was dropping dramatically....Healed as i ran to exit and got out. But nowhere in my chat window or in logs do i see any players damaging me, some animals yes a little, but I do see the heals i gave myself but no damage from anyone else. I don't really suffer any lag in game and even if i was i should have seen the results of someone attacking me in logs, but nothing, just my heals, and the occasional animal slightly damaging me.

Bug/exploit/something up!

[11/20/2016 10:32:32 PM] Entering .......from Novia
    [11/20/2016 10:33:39 PM] Ulfylar attacks Bow Vale and hits, dealing 16 points of damage.
    [11/20/2016 10:33:45 PM] Bow Vale is healed for 25 points of health.
    [11/20/2016 10:33:47 PM] Bow Vale is healed for 17 points of health.
    [11/20/2016 10:33:47 PM] Elder Wolf attacks Bow Vale and hits, dealing 41 points of critical damage.
    [11/20/2016 10:33:48 PM] Bow Vale is healed for 67 points of health.
    [11/20/2016 10:33:48 PM] Bow Vale is healed for 15 points of health.
    [11/20/2016 10:33:50 PM] Bow Vale is healed for 15 points of health.
    [11/20/2016 10:33:51 PM] Bow Vale is healed for 6 points of health.
    [11/20/2016 10:33:53 PM] Bow Vale is healed for 22 points of health.
    [11/20/2016 10:33:55 PM] Bow Vale is healed for 14 points of health.
    [11/20/2016 10:33:56 PM] Bow Vale is healed for 18 points of health.
    [11/20/2016 10:33:57 PM] Bow Vale is healed for 8 points of health.
    [11/20/2016 10:33:59 PM] Bow Vale is healed for 16 points of health.
    [11/20/2016 10:34:01 PM] Bow Vale is healed for 8 points of health.
    [11/20/2016 10:34:01 PM] Bow Vale is healed for 6 points of health.
    [11/20/2016 10:35:01 PM] Red Spider tried to attack Bow Vale and missed.
    [11/20/2016 10:35:28 PM] Bow Vale is healed for 51 points of health.
    [11/20/2016 10:35:28 PM] Bow Vale is healed for 13 points of health.
    [11/20/2016 10:35:29 PM] Bow Vale is healed for 12 points of health.
    [11/20/2016 10:35:31 PM] Bow Vale is healed for 26 points of health.
    [11/20/2016 10:35:31 PM] Bow Vale is healed for 17 points of health.
    [11/20/2016 10:35:33 PM] Bow Vale is healed for 19 points of health.
    [11/20/2016 10:35:34 PM] Bow Vale is healed for 40 points of health.
    [11/20/2016 10:35:34 PM] Entering Novia

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    rild likes this.
  4. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Ive had similar from archers who stealth, I can't see them, the arrows seem to come from miles away etc etc. I can't comment on the info in the chat window because I didn't pay any attention. What I can say is that I know get loads of lag in multiplayer.

Gaelis, Bow Vale and rild like this.
  5. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

OK thx for your reply...

But once out of stealth they should be seen, which they weren't, they were archers as i had seen them 5 mins before. But logs should show who damaged by and i should have seen them, i didn't. The multiplayer i have done/pvp all has been fine in large groups even so this was an empty scene and everything felt fine my end.

rild likes this.
  6. rild

rild Avatar

I think the thing is, the PVP flag is the protection against griefing. We don't really need a secondary system, because flagging is the risk and 25% exp is the reward (as well as the fun). A player only need die once and they can opt-out, losing only one ransomed item and a bit of pride. Beyond this, protection is the duty of players and their community, imho.

Now I hope it is part of the hint system that this is explained both when flagging and on the first PVP death.

@Bow Vale If that is an issue w/ stealth & ranged combatants it should def be addressed!

Audacity and Bow Vale like this.
  7. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

I don't think it is a permanent issue. I am an archer and i cant do it! I think i have located the person, and have asked them for their account. Interestingly they have done a recent bug post about stealth in a group being broken and that they cant stealth while grouped. It might be a bug i think where they might not appear stealthed to themselves but others out of party they are permanent stealthed, no log records of being damaged by them but other entries being made though is still rather peculiar. Anyway wrong thread for this convo really, was just i wanted to see if anyone else had suffered the same...

Anyway....Back on topic....PvP is FUN....(when it all working as intended!)

Audacity and rild like this.
  8. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Hey hey it was me!!
    And i can explain exactly.

2 things kinda all over place but im on mobile now.

1st engange.. i saw u stealthed.. i stealthed while my slacking guildies didnt follow.. and i actually got a reticle on you while you were still stealthed. was very weird.
    I unloaded a bunch then actually followed your laggy character down road shooting at you.
    I had duble clicked and had u targeted, yet more then 3/4 my shots decided to target wolves that were to my sides or behind u.. despite you being in range and my selected target.

You manged to restealth and get away WHILE I WAS RAPID FIREING YOU.. with 39 health remaining give or take.

Was silly.

Round 2.. we actually saw a mage me and guildy double teamed.. then turned on you who happens to be running up. neither me or guildy were stealthed. but on my screen u were running into a rock on a hill.. and i unloaded.. seconds later u were spring shot like 20m away.. once agian managing to stealth qhile i was shooting you in back.. and once agian it prioritized the mobs around me instead of you who i was clicked on.

My stealth issue is that anytime im in a group.m i cant silent movement. it just blatently doesnt work. i have to exit to menue and relog EVERYTIME i zone in a group.. in order for silent movement to actually make my char go invisible.

Dunno if this helps buts thats what hppend on this end.

rild and Lyndoman like this.
  9. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Oh and my bug issue.. its actually opposite.
    I appear unstealthed but buddy can see me just fine.
    Or! somtimes on my screen i DO stealth.. yet buddy can see me normally.. so even when its working.. i need a partner to tell me if im actually stealthed.

This happens if i dont relog per instance. its super. supercannoying.

rild likes this.
  10. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

I thought you said you couldn't stealth when in group?
    Also....
    I cant get any reticle on a person who is already stealthed.....

I haven't even got stealth on my combat bar which was thus active as i was being attacked so impossible for me to do...The approximation of my health at this point is correct.

All of this while very odd, also doesn't answer why your damage didn't show up in my logs. To me i was getting damaged by invisible people(damage being shown on screen) and no record of it was showing in chat window or in logs, although my own heals showed and when i got attacked by any animals also showed during this time.

More questions than answers unfortunately....

Lets leave this thread for its intended purpose...back on track....

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
    rild and Lyndoman like this.
  11. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I would flag PVP more often if i could choose what i wanted to take from the victim, place my own bounty on items, and get some kind of title depending on how many i just roll up on and kill, Or how many innocent people i protect.

titles;

Vile
    Protector

just to name a couple

rild likes this.
  12. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

piss poor incentive.

Fizzlebang likes this.
  13. Joe Zhudarak

Joe Zhudarak Avatar

I´ll set pvp flag, but i hope to see as soon as possible an update balancing bugged/overpower skills like chainlightning

Lyndoman likes this.
  14. Lyndoman

Lyndoman Avatar

I have flagged for pvp, just to get the 25% bonus.
    Fear sharpens the mind

I have already been taken down by a heft fire spell, I think a Mage was lurking in the bushes near the Oracle in Central Britanny.

It was exciting to know I have to outwit these types, they only got away with a manky, rusty scimitar as I am still a fresh noob.

What I would like to see though, is a confirmation of who killed me and to have a record of kills.

I play Eve also, though as an industrialist, not pvp, and the fear of getting ganked gives the game an edge. Else it's just about watering your onions and playing your lute.

However, space should be given who seek a sedate existence. As in real life this balance happens.

I welcome and fear PvP.

Bring it on.

Zader, rild, Audacity and 2 others like this.
  15. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

What about the quests and the story?

Lyndoman and Fister Magee like this.
  16. Lyndoman

Lyndoman Avatar

@Lord_Darkmoon I think quests and story are great for those who like them. I don't see SOTA as being about one thing, I see it as something for everyone. And it's fine if some play in solo play for for the story or even offline. If you are not flagged for pvp you should be fine to enjoy the story and quests.

Lord_Darkmoon likes this.
  17. Knightguy

Knightguy Avatar

Price of the oracle is what's gonna keep me away from PvP. End of story.

Fister Magee likes this.
  18. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Problem with the price of the oracle, is it is not clear to many that you need to separate your stacks of reagents and other things in your bag. If there was a way to make you 'pvp-safe' by auto-unstacking things, that would solve a lot of the problems with new people and pvp costs. We don't want them being turned off pvp simply because they do not understand the more intricate ways of minimizing the price of the oracle, in the event of a loss. Also, add-on or pledge rewards are safe from the oracle's price as well.. I managed to buy a couple of full sets of founder gear off a merchant for this purpose.

Some tips: reagents can be purchased in stacks of 10 already, turn off your Autostack in the Game Options, and buy a few bundles of reagents (available at many alchemists shops), this keeps your stacks really low and your costs less for the Oracle, and more chance you will have the reagents you need! Also, carry around a lot of random rusty crap.. maybe the oracle will choose that instead of your important items. Always place unneeded items in the bank!

I am in favor of the devs reexamining the price of the oracle though.. (but please don't raise it!) :) I've died lots and haven't followed my own tips often enough and I feel that pain haha!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    Audacity and Knightguy like this.
  19. Audacity

Audacity Avatar

Great stuff @Fister Magee

I'd just add that I would love to see items on the price of the oracle unbundled so we can pick and choose what to buy back. Maybe I only want to ransom one of the three things I dropped.

Fister Magee likes this.
  20. rild

rild Avatar

Personally, it'd be better if they let the winner of the fight pick one or more items and imposed the ransom if the loser wanted to keep it. Currently it's like grinding for a rare drop that might never come.

Removing the price of PVP also removes the reward, and it's already a pretty large compromise from the hardcore groups that would prefer full-loot.

If the goal is to incentivize PVP, removing the loot reward isn't a good idea. If the idea is to bring more people who otherwise wouldn't play, maybe a different incentive would be better - making it easier to game the system into giving only worthless loot isn't a solution, imho.

Maybe you gain exp for PVP kills while they lose some, balancing the 25% exp bonus. Maybe you can achieve special items only through PVP - control points have treasure rooms that open after holding it for a time. What about PVP teams holding a control point? Maybe there are special treasures like eq that offers PVP only bonuses that are a reward for this.

Or make some kind of craftables from trophies beyond the trophy itself. Potions that use a finger as an ingredient - there could be versions that heal/protect and versions that harm. Eat the heart of your opponent for an immortality-fruit style heal. A necklace of fingers that can invoke an AOE fear spell once a day. Maybe body parts could be used as fertilizer for crops to enhance their yield or give a new outcome / bonus effect. Is indirect cannibalism more palatable to @DarkStarr ? :rolleyes:

Just spitballing here, but it will take some creative thinking to make this a rewarding experience for a larger audience.

Numa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.